/storage/extSdCard versus /storage/sdcard0/external_sd

1. treddy_kh

treddy_kh Member

This started with me looking for ways to reduce storage use (could not update any apps for lack of storage) and getting into a bit of a mess with trying to move photos, music etc. to an external, removable SD card that I have just inserted in a Galaxy S2 International running 4.1.2.

I understand (sort of) already (thanks also to this forum) about the potentially including naming of SD cards and external versus internal storage. But now, looking in My Files, on my S2, I'm keen to understand the distinction between:
    /storage/extSdCard
    And /storage/sdcard0/external_sd

The latter does NOT show any files. The first one shows all the music files that I copied there, moving them from internal ("USB") storage, where doubleTwist still seems to find them.

Very keen to understand the difference between the above two paths.
    Cheers

Advertisement
  2. Pixeline

Pixeline Member

I have been pulling my hair out in frustration over not beeing able to store files in the "USB-storage" - the one with a lot of free space.

"Native" Apps and OS are stored in "System storage" - and there is NOT a lot of free space if you want to install more apps and games.

ExtSDcard is of course your external SD card - where you store your media - and might or might nok be allowed to store apps and games - depending of your version af Android. ICS/OK - JB/not OK.

If you are a root kind of person (which I am not), you can change the partitions and be able to install different things on the USB storage.

Very frustrating ... but there you are ;)

pix
  3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

You might try another file manager like ES File Explorer or/and a storage tool like DiskUsage :)

Harry
  4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

/storage/sdcard0/external_sd was the original location (for want of a better term). It is now depreciated and no longer used.

/storage/extSdCard was introduced with Android 4.x, iirc.
    Harry2 likes this.