• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Straight Talks first Android

androidfonefan

Aug 4, 2011
I looked through the new posts to see if anyone was talking about this and found nothing so I'll start this. If this has been reported (and I can't imagen it hasn't) then my apologies.

Straight Talk has apparently announced their first Android phone. The Samsung Galaxy Precedent.
samsung_precident.jpg

It is believed this phone is the same as the Samsung Galaxy Prevail on the Boost network, and that the Precedent will be running on the Sprint network. The model number is M828C which is a CDMA phone, Verizon or Sprint and opinions are leaning to Sprint. That and it was reported on HoFo that the Facebook reps are saying it is Sprint.
Not a show stopper for sure if it has the same specs as the Prevail but for 150.00 and 45 a month for "unlimited"? service it is probably going to sell faster than they can get them in.
What do you all think.

Phones like these worry me that they may give a bad impression of Android to the consumer. Just think someone's kid wasn't an iPhone, their parent sees this which is like an iPhone but much cheaper, the kid gets it and compares it to their friend's iPhone and decides Android is not a good OS which eventually will drive that consumer away from the Android platform.

Upvote 0
Phones like these worry me that they may give a bad impression of Android to the consumer. Just think someone's kid wasn't an iPhone, their parent sees this which is like an iPhone but much cheaper, the kid gets it and compares it to their friend's iPhone and decides Android is not a good OS which eventually will drive that consumer away from the Android platform.

Shouldn't the parents know that if it is a cheaper phone, it will be less functional than a more expensive phone? There are cheaper and more expensive phones. How is it the less expensive phone's fault that parents don't know any better when getting the phone for their kid? There should be less expensive phones for people who don't want to pay so much.

Upvote 0
I think those little android phones are novel, funny thing is android is designed to be customizable, and used to enhance social networking. In the hands of the right teenagers those little phones could do major damage. On the flipside. The phones are a lesser version of high end phones and tablets. Believe me there are some folks that don't utilize the capabilities of a basic LG 3G phone like a rumor touch. I think each person will end up with what they r supposed to get.

Upvote 0
I think folks are a lot more in tune to Android than we think. I'm taking some classes right now and I was surprise of the amount of Android phones I saw. A lot of females had the 4inch or more type phones as well. I think by now many know if they are getting the low end android or high end device.

Upvote 0
Sadly there are those going in to places (these corner stores that sell cricket, PP etc) and ask for an Android phone, they don't know what an Android is, so the shop sells them a feature phone running the Brew OS or something like it. I know this to be true because I have two friends, ones girlfriend almost bought the HTC Freestyle (she was looking to upgrade her phone and was on ATT) because the ATT sails rep told her it was an Android and it was cheap. I told her it was not, but that it was a Feature phone running Brew. She looked at me sideways like I didn't know my but from a hole in the ground but I stuck to it. She checked in to it, and is now with TMobile because the ATT rep lied to her over the phone. My other friends girlfriend bought a phone from Cricket and was told it was an Android. It turned out to be a Samsung that is also running the Brew OS, so someone at Cricket lied to her and got away with it.
Yeahha said:
This could be true for Feature phone which look like Androids and IPhones and can do some simple things like the A or I phones.
Every one should research the product they are buying to be sure they are getting the right OS on the phone or to be sure they are not buying a POS.
People should be sure to read real USER reviews and pay little attention to reviews from tech web sights for anything other than hardware specs.
If a phone is good, users will praise it, if it's bad ......... well you'll know that too.

Personally I would have no use for this phone. I have the Virgin Mobile Triumph, which IMHO is a POS and I should have waited for everyone else to buy and read the real USER reviews. And I have a ST smart phone SIM card in a HTC Aria which works great.
I believe I will probably end up buying this phone though after seeing real user reviews. If it turns out to be a decent phone I will probably port my VM number over to ST and get rid of my Triumph.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones