• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Strange lock screen issues

asdfasd

Dec 4, 2012
Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced these strange issues with the lock screen.

1. When I press the lock (sleep) button on the side of the phone, the screen turns off, but often when I put the phone down straight afterwards it comes back on by itself. There are no notifications, messages, battery alerts etc either, it just unlocks and sits on the home screen. I'm not talking about the screen which pops up when you wave your hand over the phone either (I'll call this the purple screen) - the phone just unlocks itself and sits on the home screen shortly after I've locked it, as if I've very quickly swiped and unlocked the phone straight after locking it.

2. Often I will unlock the phone by swiping the screen etc, and the phone will then display the purple screen before finally unlocking and returning to the home screen.

3. When using an app, if I press the lock button and shortly afterwards press home button (on the front of the phone), rather than showing the lock screen, it shows the app I last had open before returning to the lock screen, where I can then swipe to open the phone again.

These problems are all intermittent. It just seems as though the phone gets incredibly confused around the lock screen. The worst out of these problems is the phone unlocking despite having been locked. I downloaded an anti virus app but this says that there are no viruses etc on the phone.

As a side issue - almost every time I open an app now I get a warning that there is 'no connectivity' or 'no internet connection'. It can take up to a minute to get coverage back after unlocking the phone. I guess it could be a network issue, but it's strange that it's started all of a sudden.

Anyone had similar issues?

I'm already planning on returning it due to it's defective screen. Very disappointing. The store can't exchange it though - they have to send it to Samsung so they can try to repair it. I'm going to make them tell Samsung that I want a new one, but who knows what will end up happening. With intermittent problems they often give you the "there's nothing wrong with it" line.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced these strange issues with the lock screen.

1. When I press the lock (sleep) button on the side of the phone, the screen turns off, but often when I put the phone down straight afterwards it comes back on by itself. There are no notifications, messages, battery alerts etc either, it just unlocks and sits on the home screen. I'm not talking about the screen which pops up when you wave your hand over the phone either (I'll call this the purple screen) - the phone just unlocks itself and sits on the home screen shortly after I've locked it, as if I've very quickly swiped and unlocked the phone straight after locking it.
This has happened to me once or twice.
2. Often I will unlock the phone by swiping the screen etc, and the phone will then display the purple screen before finally unlocking and returning to the home screen.
This usually happens 2 out of ever 4 unlocks. It doesn't bother me
3. When using an app, if I press the lock button and shortly afterwards press home button (on the front of the phone), rather than showing the lock screen, it shows the app I last had open before returning to the lock screen, where I can then swipe to open the phone again.
Never had this happen before.
These problems are all intermittent. It just seems as though the phone gets incredibly confused around the lock screen. The worst out of these problems is the phone unlocking despite having been locked. I downloaded an anti virus app but this says that there are no viruses etc on the phone.

As a side issue - almost every time I open an app now I get a warning that there is 'no connectivity' or 'no internet connection'. It can take up to a minute to get coverage back after unlocking the phone. I guess it could be a network issue, but it's strange that it's started all of a sudden.

I would try a factory reset before you try and return it.

Upvote 0
I haven't had a chance to return the phone yet, but will have to anyway due to a screen issue (white lines appearing across the screen). I guess it's worth doing a factory reset anyway.

Another strange thing happened on the lock screen today - I pressed the home key, and the lock screen appeared, but rather than the time being displayed at the top in the centre of the screen, it appeared on the left hand side of the screen, with one of the numbers appearing incredibly small (about a quarter of the size of the other numbers). It looked like this:
9:08

I didn't have another phone or camera on me so I couldn't take a picture of it. It was absolutely bizarre. I pressed the lock button, and then when I pressed the home key again it was gone. I showed it to a co-worker as well, so I definitely wasn't imagining it! lol.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I've had the first issue a couple times. Maybe 4-5 times a month. I'm running the Verizon version of CleanRom.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

1. When I press the lock (sleep) button on the side of the phone, the screen turns off, but often when I put the phone down straight afterwards it comes back on by itself.
I have had that happen a couple times but I think I just accidentally hit the power button as it never happens if I hold the phone by the top and bottom instead of the sides.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones