• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stress Level Then VS Now

I am no where near finished yet.

Let us take ANOTHER very serious example...

The Mass Media... TV... Radio... Movies... etc etc etc...

Today I am guessing... (And I really do believe my assumption is 10 000 gazillion percent correct here) more people know who "50 Cent" is than "Nikola Tesla".

Now THAT is like really SUPER ****** up!

He (Nikola) was 1 of the most awe inspiring inventors I have ever heard of.

And yet he is forgotten like he was a "loser"???

Wow.

To the vast majority, being a "player" a "pimp" or just being foolishly "cool" is more important than achieving great marks at school????

More people know who "Britney Spears" is than Isaac Newton???

What... the... bloody... hell... happened?

Going back to the modern day media:

The "BEST" that this new generation can come up with with regards to the music industry is so called "RAP".

I have NO clue as to why it is called "Rhythm and Poetry" because it has definitely neither of the 2 in it 99% of the time.

Any way I should be careful going down this path because some people are just too damn sensitive (and selfish) for their own good...

I should be careful other wise I will branded as a "Racist"...

In the 1950's many were experimenting with "Rock n Roll" and even before then "Jazz" and "Blues" during the great depression.

Of course it is never easy to be a pioneer in just about anything but... I just don't see ANY ONE to at least try...

And yet today... the "best" we can do is RAP????

Whoa.

Just whoa...

That is all I can say.

What a shame.

And what happened to freaking AWESOME movies like this that had REAL meaning???

The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Instead... we have CRAP meaningless movies like this pumped out every second???

Transformers (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought that film was a big pile of turd.

This world has lost it's soul...

I am not surprised I almost killed myself.

What a sad mess.

Upvote 0
I have to agree.....'cept for the cars. I think the cars now days are much easier to work on, more efficient, reliable, and powerfull than back then.

I do not agree. The 1960 Olds, the Packard, the Willys are far easier to work on than any of my brother's new cars. He hates that he cannot fix them himself without a boat load of specialty electronics.

He can easily work on his old truck with just a few hand tools.

Upvote 0
I have wondered about the increased stress levels today compared to when I was a kid. I think our stress level goes up the older we get because we have new responsibilities, like earning a living, paying the rent, etc.

We have many things to do that as a kid, our parents took care of.

I think we can simplify or lives by turning off the TV, unplugging the PC and learning to relax.

Upvote 0
Definately higher.
I mean, just think of the social stress of facebook and twitter etc.
Tryin not to step on peoples toes alone is so hard.

We all have stress and in many cases, it comes from what we cannot avoid: work, raising a family, paying the bills, etc. Your parents had those stresses as did their parents and their grandparents.

Facebook and Twitter are easy: delete your FB and Twitter accounts and there you go. Two sources of stress eliminated.:p

You can reduce the stress levels by eliminating the stuff you do not really need. Before Twitter and FB, did you long for such services and are glad they are available to you? No, probably not. So forget them and reclaim a few more hours in the week or day.

Upvote 0
I agree about the cars - far easier to work on my Spitfire than Tacoma.

I don't bother much with Twitter or FB unless I want to check on a friend's posted pics and the rovers.

I usually watch (listen) sports for background noise while working on my hobbies.

Most of the stress is from people who are telling me I'm doing it wrong - usually I ignore that, and the Vulcan.

We budget and don't have very many wants. Daughter is grown and gone. We just had work done on the house and that was major stress. Never again!

Right now it's the damn political ads from both sides as I live in a swing state. I think stations turn the volume up!

Upvote 0
I have to agree.....'cept for the cars. I think the cars now days are much easier to work on, more efficient, reliable, and powerfull than back then.

I do not agree. The 1960 Olds, the Packard, the Willys are far easier to work on than any of my brother's new cars. He hates that he cannot fix them himself without a boat load of specialty electronics.

He can easily work on his old truck with just a few hand tools.

I agree to disagree with Bob. There's nothing like working on my 55 Chevy pickup. All motor and a few wires. I work on all my vehicle's. Many year's ago one of my late uncle's was a mechanic for Pontiac. He could listen to a motor and tell you exactly what was wrong with it. Vehicle's of today require a computer to know what's going on. Forbid you ever need to take it into a shop with a problem and the check light isn't on. The mechanic of today doesn't know what to do with it. Personal experience. Today's car's and truck's are great until they quit working right.

Upvote 0
I love old cars and new cars and while yes the older cars are easier for the "shade tree mechanic" to work on the new cars are far superior in every respect to their older counterparts.

We seem stuck in "selective nostalgia" mode, I hear it all the time when somebody comments on how much better the old cars were than those made today which is just plain wrong. Compare a 67 Mustang to a 2012, there is no comparison in handling or speed much less comfort and convenience. There are even some regular coupes and family sedans that ride and handle better than the best sports cars of the 60's.

When it comes to repairs, I will take fuel injection over carbs any day, you have a bad injector you remove it and pop in a new one and go instead of having to set everything back up properly so the car will run right. And a computer is not such a bad thing, there are numerous affordable scanner tools on the market now that will enable you to diagnose your own problems and decide if you can handle it or need to take it to a shop.

Now let's get into my realm, modern diesels are so far above their older counterparts it is not even funny! They didn't come into their own in the US automotive market till the 90's and those are a far cry from what we have today.

At this point the only old cars I want are either a Series III Jaguar XJ6 or a 240-280Z (not ZX) for a small block Chevy conversion. Maybe a Jaguar XJS for a big block or diesel conversion!

Upvote 0
Technology every day of the week and twice on Sundays (unless there's an "R" in the month). The good old days weren't all that good. Go back 50 years and we'd all be driving around without seat belts using leaded fuel with cigarettes dangling out of our mouths listening to AM radio. Kids would be learning about the evil communists ready to drop "the bomb" on us and after school they'd be riding around on their bikes with no helmets in traffic.

And today, we can read about the end of the world on thousands of web sites and 400 TV channels; the crappy politicians come at us from every angle, and if we do not use compact fluorescents and one sheet of TP, we will kill the planet.

We read about every food causing cancer or something else, and I like AM radio. Less crap on that than on FM. Think Rap. The commies are still with us but they are more public.

What exactly has changed? I think there is a reason the "Good Old Days" are called the Good Old Days.

Upvote 0
I agree to disagree with Bob. There's nothing like working on my 55 Chevy pickup. All motor and a few wires. I work on all my vehicle's. Many year's ago one of my late uncle's was a mechanic for Pontiac. He could listen to a motor and tell you exactly what was wrong with it. Vehicle's of today require a computer to know what's going on. Forbid you ever need to take it into a shop with a problem and the check light isn't on. The mechanic of today doesn't know what to do with it. Personal experience. Today's car's and truck's are great until they quit working right.

Thanks.

I also must agree with Bob and you. Old cars are simply easier to fix. No question about it.

As for speed and quality, that is a different thing. My Olds will not do 225 MPH, but it gets me down the road. Perhaps I have lead in my veins, but should the car get a dent, I can pound it out and use body lead. A lost art here in Utah. I can actually tune the beast and make all needed repairs.

The quality is there. No question about that.

New cars are well built, but so are old cars. (for the most part) For me, heavy steel, thick chrome, leather and quality coachwork is important.

Before you can say a car of today is better than a car form yesterday, you need to define some criteria. And chances are, my restored cars have far better resale value than many cars made these days. I must say the paint jobs of today are quite nice.

I know a bike collector that could trade one of his Chiefs straight across for two HDs off the showroom floor. So the value of old iron remains in many cases. Not sure a Honda owner can trade a 70 year old bike for two new anythings, 70 years from now.

Some like speed and some hate repairs and some love enamel badges, leather and cast iron. There is room for us all, I suppose. Unless I park the Super 88 in the local mall where it sticks out too far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones