• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stuck on recovery access mode

ced78

Lurker
Apr 28, 2013
Hi I have an HTC Inspire HD from the US, ATT as provider.
I successfully unlocked it thru HTCDEV and installed 4EXT; did a backup successfully and then tried to install Android Revolution HD.
Since then I get stuck on the HTC white screen.
It does not boot. In recovery access, see the following:

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT - 2.00.0030
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.17.14.11_M
eMMC-BOOT
Feb 20 2012, 16:03:18

My computer does not recognize the phone anymore.

What do you suggest?
Thanks

if you made a stock backup,you can restore it. otherwise,you will need to manually install your kernel(boot image):

-open up the rom download
-copy the boot image,and paste it to your adb/fastboot directory
-place the phone in fastboot mode
-flash the boot image with:
fastboot flash boot imagename.img

i.e
fastboot flash boot boot.img if the image is named simply "boot"

afterward,use this guide to s-off and superCID: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

it will make your life a bunch easier if you wish to flash roms :)

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, I am new and need some guidance; the issue I see is that I did not save a rom file on my pc and I cannot connect the device to my pc, it is no longer recognized.

That said, I looked at 2 file folder on the SD card; one for 4ext and there are 4 small files (4ext.prop; config; theme prop; version); could this help? Where did 4ext place the backup image as I did get confirmation; on the sd card or device ?
I also noticed on my SD card a clockworkmod folder with a backup folder in there with a nandroid.md5 and recovery file.
Could this help, if so , how?
tks

Upvote 0
if you no longer have the rom downloaded on your PC,then redownload. ;)

the folder wich contains your adb/fastboot utilities is the folder you used to unlock(c/android if you followed htcdev directions)

the phone will not be recognized by adb commands,except in a custom recovery,so do not fret that adb commands arent working.

youll need to power on into hboot,then select fastboot from that menu. now you will see fastboot usb with your phone in the correct mode.

the nandroid folder is where your backups will live. if you boot to recovery,you should be able to restore it,and the phone should boot.

to restore the backup:
-boot to hboot
-select recovery from that menu
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache
-wipe dalvik cache
-chose backup/restore. i dont remember the exact options,and it varries with the recovery youre running,but youll need to restore the backup.
-reboot

charge the phone for awhile before restoring if the battery is low.

hope that helps :)

Reactions: brandonw407
Upvote 0
AS I wipe data it says:

Wipind data
Formating / data...
E: Can't open /data/cwpkg.zip
E: Can't open /data/cw.prop
E: Can't open /cache/cwpkg.zip
E: Can't open /cache/cw.prop
Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.

Then on top in the menu I do not have "wipe cache" but "wipe cache partition"

No option "wipe dalvik cache"

Then I do not have the backup/restore option.

I just have reboot or apply update from sd card

AS I reboot, same stuck HTC white screen

Upvote 0
Things progressed a little; when connected on fqstboot qnd opening a RUU, the pc and device communicate but it tells me I am on RUU 3.20.502.52 but all the ones I can find are older. Where can I get it or can I downgrade (considering I saw the phone and pc where communicating I tried my adb folder but the pc do not recognize the phone0

Upvote 0
I found the RUU 3.20.502.52, yet on install I got error 155 =>

ERROR [155~159]: IMAGE ERROR
One of these error messages will appear when you use the incorrect RUU to update and the image file size is larger than the Flash ROM size. In this case, download the correct RUU version and try again.

I do not know what to do from here

Upvote 0
allright,lets start from the beginning: what guide did you follow to unlock?

again,it sounds like you are running the stockrecovery,somehow.you may need to re-install your recovery,and then attempt to restore your backup again.

if that fails,you will have to relock the bootloader to run the ruu. if you cannot get the .exe to run,you can download this version:
Shipped ROMs

can install that from your sd card,via hboot.
-put yur sd card into a card reader,and plug it in to the PC.
-double check that the sd is formated FAT32(the rom will not flash otherwise)
-rename the download to "PD98IMG" and place it on the sd card,not inside any folders.
-properly eject the sd card from the PC,and put it back into the phone.
-boot to hboot
-the phone should find the file and ask to update. allow the update.
-reboot when finished.

Upvote 0
I tried the shipped ROM; it loads and then quickly say Wrong image and back to Hboot screen.

To unlock I followed I think your post from March 22nd, 2013, 08:56 PM; step 1 successfully worked, then used the temp version in step 2; then on step 3 I followed this point:

make a backup of your stock,unrooted rom. completely optional,but a very good idea,IMO.

I did this with ext4 and it confirmed a successfull backup (where did it go, I do not know).

Then -wipe cache => ok

THen -wipe dalvik cache => Not ok, never found this.

And after if my memory is correct for -install zip from sd card(chose your superuser file) I used
CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip.

Then I installed the Android_Revolution_HD-4G_7.3.zip (from Hboot or Fastboot, don't remember)

From there it got locked and Ihave the following screen now:

*** UNLOCKED ***

ACE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT - 2.00.0030
MICROP-0438
RADIO-26.17.14.11_M
eMMC-BOOT
Feb 20 2012, 16:03:18

I do not know how to relock (*** RELOCK ***)

Tks

Upvote 0
now we are getting somewhere. repeat step 2)installing a recovery,and do exactly what you did before to get ext 4 running.

at that point,do the wipes and restore your stock backup.

if you want to relock,youll need to put the phone in fastboot,open a cmd window,cd to your miniadb dierctory,and lock with this command:

fastboot oem lock

this may give you a security warning and not let you out of bootloader,since you have attemptedto install a custom rom. if that heppens,dont panic its normal. successfully lfashing the RUU will fix it,or you can re-unlock with your original token.

Upvote 0
Ok good news, I was finally able to reinstall the original RUU; all it took was to relock the phone and reinstall the RUU, so I am back to square one.
So how do I root it completely and manage to be unlock and S-off.
In the end I want to install CyanogenMod or Revolution HD.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Also on step 2 of your post ([how to]unlock,install recovery,and root with htcdev), what's the difference between temp and permanent, I don't get it?

just as the name implies.

a temprary recovery is launched 1 time so you can use it. as youve discovered,its not permantly installed,and when you try to get to it from hboot,you get the STOCK recovery.

a permant recovery is permantly installed on your phone,you can boot to it at any time,from the booted OS,or from hboot.

most folks opt to permantly install the recovery.

Upvote 0
Ok good news, I was finally able to reinstall the original RUU; all it took was to relock the phone and reinstall the RUU, so I am back to square one.
So how do I root it completely and manage to be unlock and S-off.
In the end I want to install CyanogenMod or Revolution HD.
Thanks

follow the guide linked in post 2. youll need to read thru it carefully and make sure you understand the steps as youre doing them. if its too overwhelming,maybe youre not ready to root yet. read and do some more research,ask questions. :)

Upvote 0
Hi, I downloaded the stock rom and put the zip file on my sd card. I get a bar that fills up on the side. It also says that the image is wrong. I still get stuck at the boot screen. I tried to install a ROM but it got stuck on the white screen with the HTC logo. I tried to do factory reset but it gets stuck again. I don't have clockwork recovery, and I rooted my phone using adb and ace recovery, which is not on my phone. I only temporarily used it to flash my rom, stupid I know. :-/ When I connect my phone to the PC it is not being recognized. Also in fastboot it says "Fastboot USB" when my computer is connected but it is not recognized in the command prompt when ising adb. Is there anything I can do? Is this fixable?

Upvote 0
you cannot use adb commands with the phone in fastboot. youll need to use fastboot commands. lets start with theinfo on your bootloader screen,and do the following to provide us some info:

first download and install these drivers: revolutionary drivers (mirror)

then,download this small file:
mini-adb.zip

-unzip it,and place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive(not inside a folder)

-open a cmd window(with win 7,click start bubble,type "command" or "cmd" in hte search box)

-now change to your mini-adb directory(assuming you didnt chagne the name). type in the black cmd window that opened on your PC:
cd c:\mini-adb

-pull the battery in your phone for a few seconds. hold volume down,then power. hold them both until you see the white/colored writing hboot screen

-select "fastboot" from the hboot menu with the vol rocker/power button

-in your cmd window type:
fastboot devices

it should output your phones serial number. if so youre good to go. if not,youre apparently having a driver issue. i usually recomend these drivers from Revolutionary: modified htc drivers download and install the drivers(you should just have to run that file). afterwards,unplug your phone,plug it back in. make sure its in fastboot. as soon as you get a result from "fastboot devices" your ready to procede to the next step.

-in your cmd window,type(or copy/paste,is much easier):
fastboot getvar all

-copy the info that outputs here. right click in your cmd window,click mark,highlight it all in white. hit enter. paste the info here. it will help us know which ruu for you to run. :)

basically you have 2 options if youre s-on:
option one:
1)re-flash your recovery (like you did originally)
2)place a rom on your sd card(either using a card reader,or using an "enable usb storage" option in recovery
3)full wipe in recovery.flash rom
4)install boot image using directions in post#2

option 2:
1)provide "getvar all" info as described in the quote box.
2)find correct RUU(easier said than done,sometimes)
3)relock bootloader
4)run ruu

if you happen to be s-off,youll just need to pick an ruu and run it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones