• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shorte85

Android Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2010
Michigan, USA
I am so excited about getting my first smartphone tomorrow that I wanted to be as prepared as possible. Ha! Yeah, I'm excited.

I am curious about a few things...

Where do I go to download or how do I get a hold of the sync program for my droid incredible phone if I happen to connect it to the PC?

Also, while I am at it. I noticed that a lot of people have the weather cool looking feature on their phones, does that use up your data or is that part of the phone like the clock is? Just curious! :)

:D:D:D SO EXCITED! :D:D:D

The weather widget uses very little data. You can make it use as little as none, if you select manual update. That way you will update it when you are on wifi instead of through 3G. I'm assuming that you are getting the $15/mo plan rather than the unlimited plan or you wouldn't be worried about it. If that is the case, as a rule, when I set up my phone, I'd set it up to ONLY update manually, that way it is not polling data constantly. If you are on wifi, you can update at will, but if you are not, then that will save you MB's. I really can't suggest buying something like Locale, I did right after I got my phone to help me set locations and profiles for when my wifi would automatically turn on and off, but I found it was very inaccurate.

You really don't need any sync program, you can drag and drop pretty much anything into your phone simply by plugging it in. Unless you are talking about syncing your Microsoft Office with it, and I'm not sure if that is even possible.

Enjoy your phone. My Incredible is my 1st smart phone, I got it during pre-release days at the end of April and still love it as much as I did the day I got it. Do yourself a favor and read, read, read as much as you can here and ask questions as you have them.

Upvote 0
@Cincybearcatfan Thanks, I am trying to learn as much as I can in the little time I can. I wanted to try and learn as much as I can before I got my phone so that I didn't get my phone and say... Okay, now what? HA! I'm sure it will happen either way, and I am probably after signing for the package and the guy/girl leaves and I shut the door and going to do my giddy dance and be all happy... Yeah, I'm weird. LOL

About the sync program, I was just curious because I was or I thought you could do your apps on your PC by going through your PC rather than having to do it all by phone if that makes sense? Like say if I were to go to appbrain (I think I typed that correctly) and download a free app to my PC, I want to be able to get it to my phone rather than having to do it all through my phone if that makes sense.

About the data, that's correct. As of right now I am on the $15 data plan, which I may have to bump I do not know for right now. We are already paying out the butt (at least it seems like it to me) with our Verizon bill and in order for me to get this precious phone I "had" to have the data plan.

Upvote 0
If you prefer to download apps to your PC first, that is certainly ok. When you plug your phone into the PC, it will mount as a drive. Then you can simply copy/move the apps from your PC to your SD card. From there, use a file manager (i.e. Astro, Blackmoon, etc.), and launch the apps to install. BTW, in case you didn't know, the file extension for apps is .apk.

Upvote 0
About the sync program, I was just curious because I was or I thought you could do your apps on your PC by going through your PC rather than having to do it all by phone if that makes sense? Like say if I were to go to appbrain (I think I typed that correctly) and download a free app to my PC, I want to be able to get it to my phone rather than having to do it all through my phone if that makes sense.

If you are some place that you have wifi internet and can download it to your computer, then you don't need your computer to download apps. What I mean is, if you have wifi, then you can download as much as you want to your phone as long as you can access that wifi without it racking up data charges on your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones