• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Substitute for Device Manager

athegn

Android Expert
May 26, 2010
I want to use an old phone; HTC Desire Froyo 2.2 which does not have Google "Device Manager" installed because the app says incompatible with that device.

I only want to use an app to track where the phone is; I thought this would be a cheap way to track my car if stolen; I will be leaving my car in an unknown, to me, UK area on public roads over several days. Leave the charged phone with GPS and location switched on. If car stolen ring phone to find its location.

Any advice please?

I have found this site. It does charge to give phone location details but that's cheap compared to a cars loss?

https://geopositioningservices.com/

I tried that to see what it would do, it apparently did not ping the GPS in my phone, as it is off by a half mile.

if my gps is pinged, it will locate me to within; 30 feet.
I am setting in my office on the south side of my house, and the GPS ping placed me in the NE bedroom maybe 30 feet from where I am.

I used a "Whereareyou" command that was captured by MacroDroid which then turned on the GPS, located me, and sent it back to the requesting SMS source.

Upvote 0
I think have MacroDroid running "hidden" w/o any icons on a screen would be quite secure.
most folks would not even look for it.

And the cost? $0.00 for up to five macros.
but you only need one.

hid the phone under the rear dashmat so it can see the sky at all times....
the only downside is if the vehicle/phone cannot see the sky at all, then the GPS ping will fail.

that would be a time when you might try the 1st suggestion, but a half mile circle is a lot of ground to cover, especially if it is inside a garage.

a third option, if the vehicle is lost, and you think you "might have found it" and it is in a garage, is to have a Blue Tooth device paired up with it. Then you sneak up to the building where you think it might be, activate your BT device and see if it will connect. if it does, you are within 30 meters... 30 feet for dead sure.

This is enough for the law enforcement agencies to issue a Search Warrant.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones