• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Suddenly can't connect to home WiFi

I have Charter service & they recently upgraded to 5G. Everyone in my house can log on using the new 5G via computers & phones, except me.

I scan for WiFi, it only comes up with our old 2G identity. When I try to use that (2G) by turning on WiFi, it authentics it, says its running. But when I try to search or say get on Face book, says "no connection".

I've tried Safe Mode to see if its an app, I've typed in the SSID w/correct password, nothing.

Running on 3G data at home which is slower than WiFi & driving me nuts to use besides eating up my data usage.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated, Thank you!

WiFi doesn't have 2G, 3G, 4G (or futuristic 5G) like carriers do with mobile data. I'm guessing you mean 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz for WiFi? :)

The Moto G doesn't support 5Ghz for WiFi so you won't be able to connect to a 5Ghz WiFi network, it will only connect to 2.4Ghz WiFi networks.

Yep, Sorry I meant GHz not just 5G. And....you've got to be kidding me right??

It won't pick up the 5 and won't run the 2.4 so I have no way to access wireless at home which is lightening speed faster then my phone's 3G network.

Just great. Now what do I do? Buy my own wireless connection somewhere so I can actually use my phone in my home properly?

Or guess I'm going to have to upgrade to a Galaxy or iPhone just so can have functionality...

Thanks for your help, that's more than what I knew before.

Upvote 0
It won't pick up the 5 and won't run the 2.4

When I try to use that (2G) by turning on WiFi, it authentics it, says its running. But when I try to search or say get on Face book, says "no connection".

Did they give you a new router, and is it definitely broadcasting 2.4Ghz?

If so and you're trying to connect using your old saved password it wont work, I believe even if you have the same SSID. Have you tried the option to Forget it, then rescan and reconnect to it? That's the only other thing I can think of.

Upvote 0
Yep, Sorry I meant GHz not just 5G. And....you've got to be kidding me right??
Tho I know they exist, I haven't owned a phone or tablet, yet, that supported 5GHz. So that's not unusual. What's unusual is Charter "upgrading" your router to a 5GHz-only model.

Does it have hard-wired ports? If so: Just buy your own 2.4GHz wireless access point (not router, but AP), configure it and Bob's your uncle.

Or call Charter, tell them "Hey, you screwed me up with that last 'upgrade!' Please come fix."

Upvote 0
Not sure how alot of this work, but I've recently subscribed to Charter's internet service ( one week) and have no problem running my own Netgear wifi router with no issues. the router is about 4 years old or so and I created a new wifi profile on the phone. I must say, the internet is super fast, I think Charter said it can get speeds up to 100mb.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones