• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Supersonic coming to Sprint

Status
Not open for further replies.
see, i'd rather have the trackpad and keep my fingers closer to one spot instead of roaming all over the screen. though I'm still a thumb board guy buy nature and would just like to hit a button and scroll with the pad to select. much quicker overall. Though I doubt we'll ever see a treo style android phone. which is why I have a pixi now. such a god awful name for a phone.

Upvote 0
But think about it...look at the form factor of other Android, and HTC, phones. The screen isn't as big as the SS or the iPhone's. A phone like the N1, Hero, Eris, Moment, etc, needs something like a trackball/pad in order to get around more efficiently on the text front.

The SS has a much larger screen than the rest of those, and if the software is tweaked just right, then using your fingers wouldn't be a problem (again..look at the iPhone)

Upvote 0
sorry...i'm just lingering for my perfect thin treo style phone. I see the point. I just would never buy the supersonic anyway even if it's a great device. just can't stand typing on a screen. I popped in here more for the 4g aspect of it.

One cool thing, if you have a family or business plan and can tether, picking up this would be a no brainer as it could be cheaper per month than buying a data card. Now that would be sweet.

Upvote 0
just wondering..is the 4G service going to cost more? i'm guessing it is.

1-15-2010 - Sprint drops price of mobile WiMAX by another $10. Sprint Nextel reduced the monthly price of its CDMA/mobile WiMAX service by another $10, down to $59.99, a Sprint spokeswoman confirmed. The price cut is the second $10 cut in less than five months; Sprint made a similar change to its unlimited 3G/4G mobile broadband package in August.

I just started a new thread with more information on WiMAX and the HTC Supersonic. It should answer a lot of the questions being asked here.

Bill

Upvote 0
I have a couple of questions regarding the Supersonic:

1. How much do you think would cost for sprint with a new 2 year contract? Any guesses?

2. Do you think you have the flexibility of choosing a plan unlike the Nexus One which pretty much ties you down to a T-Mobile plan if you want to pay less for the phone?

3. Do you guys think this phone will come out by April of this year?

I'm currently a T-Mobile subscriber, I'm already qualified to get the Nexus One from T-Mobile, but I think their plan sucks. Researching all 4 top carriers, I found that Sprint offers the best bang for the buck (Price versus features). So I'd rather wait 'till my contract expires and avail of Sprint's great prices on their plans.

If I can't get the Nexus One (when it comes out for sprint) or the Supersonic with the freedom to choose different plans available, I think I'll just settle with the Samsung Moment. Does my way of thinking seem logical?

Upvote 0
I disagree.

Right now I am using the Hero, don't take me wrong, I love the device. However I would like a bit more power - nothing is ever wrong with that. However I as much as I look forward to "Supersonic" if it exists - I don't look forward to the 4G part of it.

My problem with 4G is that our area doesn't even have Sprint 3G yet. We have one carrier with 3G and that's Verizon. Verizon's 3G here is not significantly faster then Sprints 1x speeds and plus they cost a bit more monthly. Chances of T-Mobile or AT&T getting 3G here are next to nothing. The most update to map I can find of Clear spectrum holdings doesn't include my area. This map was from 2007 so things could be different but there are a lot of markets that I am positive Clear / Sprint will shore up before ours. I am thinking years before I ever see 4G.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this Supersonic device will have a premium price tag (which I am fine with) however that premium price tag will probably be a bit higher because of the inclusion of 4G.

Frankly I am just tired of hearing about 4G. Sprint has 2 devices that are capable of using 4G and both require shelling out more money not only for the device but for an additional monthly cost to use it. Until there is a few more markets and a few more devices Sprint needs to seriously stop banging it's 4G drums. It's all about making money and I understand that; but Sprint could be making money selling some devices in between now and the end of the year.

Sprint has always been the leader/innovator in new technology and speeds. You have to build faster networks and phones to get there and that is exactly wht is happening. All good, right? I am really surprised you are upset by the concept of the biggest baddest speeds possible. Sure, I understand you can't take advantage of it, but then there are plenty of older generation phones that will work great for you. I gues I am confused at your point.

Upvote 0
well you can do simply everything on 3g. doesn't mean you can do it as fast as possible. I think it's a crapshoot if they charge more for 4g. I would expect them to and they very well should. You don't want to treat it like it's a commodity. It's a premium service the competition doesn't have.

But...4g isn't everywhere, and if I'm paying extra for it, I expect a certain level of coverage. I have 4g here in Philly, but when I travel I'm not guaranteed to have it, yet I'd still be paying for it. That doesn't necessarily seem fair. Right now their broadband cards are the same price whether it's 3g or 4g.
lol yea, i hope it is not more ontop of the unlimited everything, although it is quiet possible for the 4g connection, simply everything should be ... simply everything

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones