• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Switched from iPhone 3g to Droid X.. Regretting decision

Oh another question, how do we fix that blurry image of our contacts imported from facebook when a phone call comes in? That picture looks terribly hideous on such a nice 4.3 screen.

That is a universal android thing

it happens with every android phone/facebook contact sync

in fact...all contact ids look horrible
no matter how nice it looks when you initially set it when they finally call it looks horrible

Upvote 0
That is a universal android thing

it happens with every android phone/facebook contact sync

in fact...all contact ids look horrible
no matter how nice it looks when you initially set it when they finally call it looks horrible

Yes, this sucks. I realized that there's also a bug in the Droid X where if you add a simple contact shortcut, not a widget, it will show up as blank. The workaround I found is to add a photo to the Google contact, since Google contacts take precedence. Then you can make a shortcut, but the FB one will re-assert itself as soon as it syncs. This blows. I bet if you don't have FB contacts linked to Google contacts, you can have higher res pictures through Google contacts, I might have to experiment...

Upvote 0
I came from a 3GS. Upgraded to iPhone 4. Bought Droid X. Returned iPhone 4. Here are my thoughts based on what you're experiencing:

Android is a completely different eco-system. If you've been used to Apple products, iTunes, and how things work on iOS, you're going to feel uncomfortable for a while. You'll definitely experience a sense of freedom, but you'll also have to do some work to get things the way you want them.

With iOS, pretty much everyone has the exact same experience with the UI. This is both a good thing and a bad thing, and is simply a result of different philosophies. Apple knows that everyone will be able to use all of their products with ease.

Those that are comfortable and content with iOS would not even be looking elsewhere, so I've got to ask why you even gave Android and the Droid X a try in the first place? You must have either been tiring of the same old experience on iOS, or you're looking for something that is missing. You simply have to weight what you've gained against what you miss, but don't do it with less than a week's worth of experience.

Take battery life, for example. There's a trade-off between Apple's approach and Android's approach. You'll get better battery life with iOS, for sure, but you're also very limited (even with iOS 4) with what you can do. Android has complete flexibility, but many of those conveniences come at a cost of a certain amount of battery life. Live Wallpapers, for example, are very cool and may give you a certain amount of pleasure when using your phone. But they'll take a chuck of battery. Background notifications for everything under the sun is nice, but they'll take a chunk too. You have to find a balance that's right for you. Thankfully, there will be a bigger battery that will not only last longer, but will also provide a spare. With iOS devices, you have longer battery life but you can't swap. So it's a trade-off that you'll have to weigh for yourself.

I'll admit, there are some things I miss with my iPhone. In fact, I'm still thinking of using my deactivated 3GS for iPod functionality. I've found no good solution for podcast syncing that works as well as iTunes and I listen to them almost every night at work. I found some apps that will sync them, but I can't see which ones are new/old.

So I'd say give it some more time. Keep customizing until you get the Droid X the way you want it. THEN decide what to do. Don't be ashamed if you want to go back to iOS, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. But don't be surprised if you don't want to let go of the freedom Android offers as well.

Having both....I don't even know how to explain the difference between the 2 OS... There are things i like about both systems and things I don't like...1 you mentioned with the live wallpapers...Love em... but also love the simplicity of itunes/syncing...finally figured out how to sync today with my droid and my laptop on my home network...but then i went out and wanted to DL a song I heard on radio and I had had no 3g....so I had to figure out what setting i messed with that turned off 3G.... It's like buying a lego land with it all built and just using it and never going outside the box (unless ya want a fart app..lol) or getting a box of legos for christmas and making your own land from scratch and custimizing it the way you want it....

Upvote 0
Yes, this sucks. I realized that there's also a bug in the Droid X where if you add a simple contact shortcut, not a widget, it will show up as blank. The workaround I found is to add a photo to the Google contact, since Google contacts take precedence. Then you can make a shortcut, but the FB one will re-assert itself as soon as it syncs. This blows. I bet if you don't have FB contacts linked to Google contacts, you can have higher res pictures through Google contacts, I might have to experiment...

Even on my droid which is stock of course
i never used facebook integration and the pictures were still very low res

they really need to fix this

Upvote 0
Nobody can 'make' you like Android. You have to want to give it a chance and think hard about why you left Apple in the first place. If you're used to the Apple way and prefer their products and the way they do things, then the choice is clear. Android can achieve similar results, but you'll have to think differently. If change isn't in your radar, then Android isn't for you.

Upvote 0
I came from a 3GS. Upgraded to iPhone 4. Bought Droid X. Returned iPhone 4. Here are my thoughts based on what you're experiencing:

Android is a completely different eco-system. If you've been used to Apple products, iTunes, and how things work on iOS, you're going to feel uncomfortable for a while. You'll definitely experience a sense of freedom, but you'll also have to do some work to get things the way you want them.

With iOS, pretty much everyone has the exact same experience with the UI. This is both a good thing and a bad thing, and is simply a result of different philosophies. Apple knows that everyone will be able to use all of their products with ease.

Those that are comfortable and content with iOS would not even be looking elsewhere, so I've got to ask why you even gave Android and the Droid X a try in the first place? You must have either been tiring of the same old experience on iOS, or you're looking for something that is missing. You simply have to weight what you've gained against what you miss, but don't do it with less than a week's worth of experience.

Take battery life, for example. There's a trade-off between Apple's approach and Android's approach. You'll get better battery life with iOS, for sure, but you're also very limited (even with iOS 4) with what you can do. Android has complete flexibility, but many of those conveniences come at a cost of a certain amount of battery life. Live Wallpapers, for example, are very cool and may give you a certain amount of pleasure when using your phone. But they'll take a chuck of battery. Background notifications for everything under the sun is nice, but they'll take a chunk too. You have to find a balance that's right for you. Thankfully, there will be a bigger battery that will not only last longer, but will also provide a spare. With iOS devices, you have longer battery life but you can't swap. So it's a trade-off that you'll have to weigh for yourself.

I'll admit, there are some things I miss with my iPhone. In fact, I'm still thinking of using my deactivated 3GS for iPod functionality. I've found no good solution for podcast syncing that works as well as iTunes and I listen to them almost every night at work. I found some apps that will sync them, but I can't see which ones are new/old.

So I'd say give it some more time. Keep customizing until you get the Droid X the way you want it. THEN decide what to do. Don't be ashamed if you want to go back to iOS, there's certainly nothing wrong with that. But don't be surprised if you don't want to let go of the freedom Android offers as well.

I've been on the fence myself. I have an iphone 3gs 32gb and now the Droid X.

What I am struggling with is:

Facebook - oh how I miss the iphone version. (im using bloo for notifications coupled with the moto intergration, and website, but i want all this in one!)

iPod/TV Out - I use my ipod to display music videos on my display in my car which is RCA. I'm not sure if I can pull this off with the droid, i'll need like 3 cables to convert if that will even work.

Social Networking - I would like this to update on the fly when I go to that tab on a person instead of waiting the 30 mins to see an update.

Car Mount!! I can't find any good ones. I'll have to get the universal one from Profit, but I know it will look bulky and that makes me a sad panda.

Dock, why are you so expensive!

Side loaded cables, so so tacky and awkward to hold while charging which feels like more often than not. I need cables that go behind the back like an L shape one, but not left or right, but back. Help?

Other than that there are some things I like a lot I think I just have to get used to the change.

I do love the sense UI, but I cannot stand the ugly display! I can see the grain on the display. OMLED still needs a lot of work.

One thing I have to say, I am very disappointed in the camera. I have a hard time getting it to focus right, and the color quality is no where near the iphone 4. Even my 3gs takes better pics. Maybe its a settings thing or something I don/t know. It's not really a debate apple always has top line hardware. I just couldn't stand staring at the same blocks on the screen. (yes i was a hardcore jailbreak freak with custom UI, but it was still limited.)

That being said I am going to try to stick this out and give it a fair trial.

Upvote 0
You have an issue with battery life? You should get that checked. Anandtech has a nice chart in their Droid X review and it shows that the Droid X performed well and it had the best battery life when dealing with voice calls.

Have you ever tried LauncherPro? That is a beast of a customization app. It blows away any OS. You can essentially do anything in it to really make it your own. The Market is there for a reason. If you don't like something, there are plenty of alternatives!

Upvote 0
Oh another question, how do we fix that blurry image of our contacts imported from facebook when a phone call comes in? That picture looks terribly hideous on such a nice 4.3 screen.

I hope someone answers this question cause I'm dying to know too!

edit: oops, didn't realize that there was a second page to this thread. please disregard

Upvote 0

Nicely put

Upvote 0
Pretty much from the majority of posts it is conclusive that you just give it time,

Personally when I have something new I never fully enjoy it until i have had time to play with it and find new stuff to do with it.

And like it has been said many times already it is up to you and how much learning you are willing to put into a great system.

and as a last note.... "FLASH" that is all

Upvote 0
Car Mount!! I can't find any good ones. I'll have to get the universal one from Profit, but I know it will look bulky and that makes me a sad panda.
Tetrax X-Way:
# TETRAX - Products #

Side loaded cables, so so tacky and awkward to hold while charging which feels like more often than not. I need cables that go behind the back like an L shape one, but not left or right, but back. Help?
Cables with tips in all directions:
USB Micro-B Cables - Right Angle, short cables - 877-522-3779

Upvote 0
I also switched from an iPhone 3G to the Droid X and absolutely love the X and think it is light years ahead of any iPhone, even the 4.

For me, just the fact that I can put widgets like Pure Calendar on my home screen and see my To Do list and Appointments at a glance is worth the price.

It always seemed strange to me that you had to start an app just to see your reminders, appointments or anything else on the iPhone. When you turn on the iPhone all you can see are a page of icons. When I turn on the Droid X, I see my calendar, weather and anything else I want to configure it to display.

The X is much more useful for me.

Upvote 0
I came from the iPhone 3G and love android. As for the face book pics, I had the droid inc first and liked it the face book pics werein high res till something happened, and half of them got blurry? When I received me droid x when I signed in to FB, they are all high res again???? It must be in a setting. As for the battery you need to go into the settings for all of your apps and make sure that you don't have alot of useless crap running in the background. The new iPhone runs stuff in the background to. I wouldn't go back.

Upvote 0
I also switched from an iPhone 3G to the Droid X and absolutely love the X and think it is light years ahead of any iPhone, even the 4.

For me, just the fact that I can put widgets like Pure Calendar on my home screen and see my To Do list and Appointments at a glance is worth the price.

It always seemed strange to me that you had to start an app just to see your reminders, appointments or anything else on the iPhone. When you turn on the iPhone all you can see are a page of icons. When I turn on the Droid X, I see my calendar, weather and anything else I want to configure it to display.

The X is much more useful for me.

could not have been said any better.

the only thing bothers me about android is that the games aren't up to par with apple yet.

Upvote 0
First post WOOOT!

So I came from an iPhone 3gs and here is my thinking.

3 years ago I was on verizon and my choices were WM which is horrific and Palm OS which was on it's way out.

The iPhone came out on AT&T and a friend of mine got one and I was instantly hooked. I switched carriers and for 3 years couldn't have been happier. Eventually I got tired of the same old OS. I couldn't put widgets on my home screen, though with the jailbreak I could put them on my lock screen, and while the phone was well made it just seamed too constricting. The Iphone 4 comes out and there are all these rumors of reception issues. AT&T bumps their termination fee to $325. I was never happy with AT&T service in my area and I didn't want to be locked into two years of being with big blue.

Enter the Droid X.

Out of the box I'm able to do all the things I wanted to do with my jailbroken iPhone but couldn't.

I'm not sure what apps you have running but my battery life is a ton better with the X than the 3GS.

This 4.3 inch screen is the killer feature. Every time someone sees this phone the first thing they say is WOW it's so big.

Also, I can make phone calls with out dropping a call 30 seconds into it and I can hold it anyway I like. (had to get that dig in)

Google is a software company and trust me they are working tirelessly to improve their software.

Android's potential as an open platform is limitless and IOS potential is only as far is Cupertino can see.

With froyo coming shortly which will improve performance and gingerbread on the horizon which promises to be a UI overhall, these are very exciting times.

In contrast IOS is still doing what it's been doing for 3 years and I can't abide that kind of progress.

Reactions: beerhound
Upvote 0
For the blurry image with Facebook contacts: I don't think there's a fix for that.
actually there is. but its not really a fix. its more of a restriction.

the way to salvage the resolutions in OTHER phones, is by not allowing the the laidbook app to synch with your device. When you set up your phone, you can choose the avatar for a caller. This will be fine and it will be high res until the second you let the facebook app update. Once it syncs to the servers, it uploads their facebook pic and compresses resolution on the avatar on your device.

this is the reason why i said use the browser shortcut. Fucbook;) app is really pointless, at least until someone designs a better widget for it.

Upvote 0
My wife and I just sold our iPhone 3g's for the Droid X and would NEVER go back.

Battery life compared on the X vs the 3G are you serious? this HAS to be a troll..
I would be lucky to get a few hours of battery on the iphone using 3G data, I had to charge it 2-3 times a day,.

The Droid X I can run for 10-11 hours and still have juice left on 3g data doing work via RDP, streaming audio,video, default battery profile too.

Applications are better on the iphone?. While the iPhone may have more options for the time being they arent any "better" In fact I see the opposite after having an iphone for the last 2 years..

For instance Orb live, runs amazing on the X, its super fast.

The biggest improvement I have seen with the Droid X vs my old iPhone, is the "TELEPHONE CALL feature" the iPhone was missing this.

Now with my Droid X I can make telephone calls from my house and even stream XM satelite radio over 3g for my whole ride to and from work!, and the reception totally kills a "real" xm radio unit.

If your looking for a patroled by Steve Jobs locked down less robust device for simple people, then return the X and get the iphone if its something you enjoy.

Upvote 0
-Multitasking, I.E you can play I heart radio and browse the internet and send a text message. On the iphone, if you closed iHeart radio or received a txt message, the application would close which means you would need to restart it after you sent a txt message.

-Verizon network. Is 100x faster than AT&T and more reliable. You don't want to be "that person" that has an emergency and have AT&T drop your call and/or have no reception

-Customization of interface. You can at least add different widgets and customize the phone to your liking. You don't have to be an Apple "Droid"

-LEGITIMATE Flash support in about a month (although I had my iPhone 3G set up to support flash and flash vidio)

-Better keyboard. A larger screen makes it easier to type. You also get vibration feedback when you type, so you at least know you hit a key. Unlike the iphone that could let you type the same letter 5x's and you would never realize it.

-Faster running applications. The same apps on your iPhone run faster on the Droid X, although the Droid X's apps have far less resolution and look a lot more pixelated. Its a positive for music/radio/sound apps and a negative for apps such as Youtube (video's look horrible in comparison) and web-browsing (same thing), eBay app (just plain horrible looking thumbnails), etc. That being said, its less frustrating to use those Apps on the Droid, even if they looks worse.

-Did I say Widgets?

-Voice to text text-messaging

-Ability to not use a computer to update firmware and software of the phone. (You aren't forced to use iTunes to update your phone, as you can do it simply by restarting the phone and then manually installing the update)

For me, Multitasking, Verizon, Widgets/Customization, and the Keyboard make the phone worth owning. Although, the pixelated resolution and generic looking apps when comparing the same apps to the the 3G and iPhone4 is a major flaw.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones