• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching LG Leon with Sony Xperia Z3 but keeping the service?

Gustav0

Lurker
Jul 31, 2016
Hello! I am looking to buy a used/refurbished Sony Xperia Z3 to replace my LG Leon. What's the procedure for doing that? Would it work if I just switch out the SIM card?

I just read that there are different models of that phone set up for different carriers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Xperia_Z3#Variants), and I also heard that MetroPCS uses T-Mobile's network. Will a T-Mobile phone work? How about an unlocked phone?

I am not very literate in technology, so I really appreciate your input! Thanks!

What's the procedure for doing that? Would it work if I just switch out the SIM card?
With Metro you'll have to associate the new phone with your SIM - I believe you can call, go to a store, or do it online.

An unlocked T-Mobile or AT&T phone will work. Some T-Mobile phones don't need to be unlocked to use Metro, some do... not sure if Z3 must be unlocked but I'd look for unlocked ones.

The T-Mobile version will have all the bands for best compatibility.

Upvote 0
I've had great success at calling MetroPCS and switching the sim to the new phone. If you can do it, call from a different phone than the one you are switching over. If I remember correctly the number is 888-metro88. The customer service rep will ask you for the imei of the new phone and then associate your current sim with the new phone (if the current sim is of a correct size for the new phone you'll be able to just use it again).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones