Switching to Sprint from VZW...

Last Updated:

1. residentgiant

residentgiant Member This Topic's Starter

Probably a stupid question -- but if my wireless contract with Verizon is shown as ending tomorrow (6/16), am I considered off-contract or do I have to wait until the next day?

I want to pick up an Evo tomorrow and port my number from VZW. The only reason I've waited until now is because I didn't want to pay the early termination fee with my contract ending relatively soon. So if I switch on the day my contract ends (as opposed to the day after) will they try to hit me an early termination? Should I just play it safe and wait until Thursday?

Advertisement
  2. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

I think you will live one more day

3. rilharri

rilharri Active Member

Better be safe than sorry, you can always get the phone and set up your Sprint account and then port your number a day later if you want

4. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Get the Sprint phone you want. Set it up. Use it for a day or two. Then port your number over. Porting will close your account with VZW. Then call VZW to request a final bill if you owe for anything or to show a zero balance, closed account.

Being off-contract for a month also wouldn't hurt you if the phone you order isn't immediately available. You'll only have a pro-rated monthly amount to owe for the days you stay into the next billing cycle.

5. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

the easiest way to find out is to call Verizon and ask them when you can cancel without paying an ETF (That's what I did). they'll tell you exactly when you can kick them to the curb... oh yeah... when I called they didn't even bother trying to keep me... Sprint has been MUCH better for me and my family.