• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching to Sprint from VZW...

Probably a stupid question -- but if my wireless contract with Verizon is shown as ending tomorrow (6/16), am I considered off-contract or do I have to wait until the next day?

I want to pick up an Evo tomorrow and port my number from VZW. The only reason I've waited until now is because I didn't want to pay the early termination fee with my contract ending relatively soon. So if I switch on the day my contract ends (as opposed to the day after) will they try to hit me an early termination? Should I just play it safe and wait until Thursday?

Get the Sprint phone you want. Set it up. Use it for a day or two. Then port your number over. Porting will close your account with VZW. Then call VZW to request a final bill if you owe for anything or to show a zero balance, closed account.

Being off-contract for a month also wouldn't hurt you if the phone you order isn't immediately available. You'll only have a pro-rated monthly amount to owe for the days you stay into the next billing cycle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones