• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Swype user dictionary

I'd love an answer to this as well...it's been throwing out a LOT of gibberish lately. And some of the words it gives me (a big one is "ghats" when I'm going for "that's") are supposedly not even in the dictionary, because when I highlight it and hit the swype key to delete it, all it does is offer me other word options rather than ask me if I want to delete it.

Upvote 0
You can delete the entire user dictionary and start over if you want.

There's no way to delete words in Swype's built-in dictionary that I know of.

I'm a huge fan of Swype, in fact, I don't think I'd use my phone nearly as much if it didn't have Swype, but the user dictionary interface could really use some improving. I hope they revise it in future releases.

Ptero... make sure the word is really highlighted before you click the swype key. If the cursor is in the word, but the word isn't highlighted, Swype will suggest other words when you hit the Swype key. Sometimes it takes a couple of clicks to get the word highlighted.

Upvote 0
Ptero... make sure the word is really highlighted before you click the swype key. If the cursor is in the word, but the word isn't highlighted, Swype will suggest other words when you hit the Swype key. Sometimes it takes a couple of clicks to get the word highlighted.

I'm having the same problem. I'm not on an Evo, but after googling I dug this up (despite also being a member here - haaa). I'm on an Optimus T by LG and this is a huge issue for me. I can confirm that even with the word highlighted, if you double tap it does not bring up any Swype menu to delete it or anything - only the menu to choose other words from 8 choices.

I find getting "That's" out of swype is a little easier if I backtrack my step and avoid the G all together.

I basically swype like this:

t h t a t s

And it seems to predictably give me "That's" each time, whereas doing it what seems to be the normal way is problematic in regard to its output always being "ghats".

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Swype's biggest flaw, imo- the inability to delete words from swypes pre-loaded dictionary. I have come across many words that pop up when typing VERY common words. One example is the word "knorr" when typing know. Also having to purposely mis-spell "that's" just to get swype to see it. I also get "ob" when typing on pretty often. Some of the words can be removed but reappear immediately. Other words, like knorr, can't be removed at all. And that is not even a word. Other than a brand name for a food product.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones