• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype V SlideIT V ShapeWriter

SlideIT or Swype

• SlideIT

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • Swype

Votes: 93 44.3%
  • I Haven't used both so I can't vote...

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • Neither, I'm over the slidin' it deal

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • ShapeWriter

Votes: 30 14.3%

• Total voters
what makes you like ultra so much i like slide it but its waaaaaay to expensive for a keyboard.

Well compared to slide I feel ultra is very reasonably priced and infinitely much more configurable. As an added value all the free keyboard skins for the other keyboards work with ultra as well as the ability to create your own themes. One other thing I really appreciate is the dev is very responsive and constantly tweaking the app. Like I said before, the more I use it the more I like it. I bought the full version 2 hours after downloading the free version. That says alot. Try it for yourself.

Upvote 0
Another vote for Ultra. I tried the others (not Swype though to be fair) and liked Ultra best. I felt it was more customizable, more responsive, more accurate at both it's dictionary and prediction as well as the sliding mechanism. With the HTC keyboard, I was very frustrated with pressing the wrong keys OFTEN in portrait. Even when not "sliding" and just typing, the keyboard is significantly better in Ultra. The price is reasonable and worth it in my opinion.

Either way anyone chooses, sliding is far superior and faster then typing. Wish I had gone this route earlier.

Upvote 0
so i should think about buying ultra then.

Try ultra first and see if you like it. For me the fact that it was under $3 made it a no brainer. Also the fact that you can use the free keyboard skins for the other keyboards in the market gives an added value. I'm using one of the better keyboard hd skins with my ultra and it works and looks great.

Upvote 0
Try ultra first and see if you like it. For me the fact that it was under $3 made it a no brainer. Also the fact that you can use the free keyboard skins for the other keyboards in the market gives an added value. I'm using one of the better keyboard hd skins with my ultra and it works and looks great.

I'm going to try this, but i just dont think it can be better than Swype.

Edit - You only get 24 hours to test it out?

Upvote 0
I'm going to try this, but i just dont think it can be better than Swype.

Edit - You only get 24 hours to test it out?

Yea just 24 hours but for me it only took two hours before I bought the full version. If you're into theme customization you're going to love ultra. Now whether or not it's better than swype is totally a personal thing but swype is never going to be a market purchase while ultra's dev is really responsive and constantly tweaking the app.

Upvote 0
Is anyone trying SlideIT before they mindlessly buy Ultra?
I'll conceed that the little customizable menu is pretty sweet, and yeah free themes is awesome.

But for ACTUALLY TYPING & SWYPING SlideIT destroys Ultra. eight bucks, who cares. It's 8 bucks for goodness sake.

Well here's my 2 cents. I've tried swype, shapewriter, slideit, and ultra and based on my personal experience found them all to be competent and comparable. I'm not a power texter or power email writer so maybe certain flaws are only visible if you're a power user. For me, they all performed pretty equally so all things being reasonably equal, price and added value was a factor. Why would I pay $8 if I can get what I need for under $3. If customization or themes aren't your thing then shapewriter is still available for free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones