• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I've been using Shapewriter for a few weeks now having previously tried Swype. I find Shapewriter much easier to use on the Desire's small screen keyboard, particularly when entering words with double letters, eg betting, looking, etc

Has Swype been improved significantly? If not, then I'm not tempted to try it again.

Upvote 0
I've just downloaded and installed this but i can't get it working. Under language and keyboard Swype is ticked, but whenever I go to enter text it's just the old fashioned input method that works. Tried a reboot but still nothing.

Any ideas?

When you start typing in the text input box, you need to long press on that box first. Then it would give you a list of options, choose Swype and start swyping! :)

Reactions: Das_Jeeb
Upvote 0
I think it will take a bit of getting used to, but it does seem very good. I think you need to know the layout of the keyboard pretty well because like biscuitlad has already said, your finger does tend to hide some of the keyboard so if your not sure where the buttons are it can really slow you down.
I think it has got stacks of potential :)

Upvote 0
signed up and got email...clicked on link which went to pagesaying "sorry you are not an android phone!" anyone else had this?

just got this myself? from my htc desire?

yes HTC desire. Glad its not just me!

Turn on mobile browsing you have turned off that in settings like I did and it won't work as it thinks it is a normal computer. Back to the mobile browser view to download then just turn it back off again.

Upvote 0
dont know wat has happened with swype. it was wrkin all well. but last 2 days, while texting using swype, the screen wud get froze for sometime and wud thn come back to normal after a mt. this is not thr while switching back to the default touch input. so i tried uninstalling it and installing it back with the backed up swype installer file. accessing the site from pc shows tht its not an android device.
dont feel like using other typing methods. got used to swype pretty gud now. tried out swiftkey beta but dint like it tht much. too small portrait keypad i guess

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones