• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sync only "My Contacts"

bcrsr

Aug 9, 2010
Ohio
I have a vanilla 2.2 updated EVO. I want to sync only "My Contacts" from my single Gmail account. I have already removed the "Show all contacts" from the view menu. Instead of having the "My Contacts" option in the view menu it only shows "Google" and that option subsequently corresponds "All Contacts" in the Gmail interface and loads all of the Gmail suggested contacts. This was not like this on 2.1 and it worked perfectly.

Also, I have already filtered the list with "Show only those with phone numbers" but this does not stop the auto-fill feature in the email interface.

Anyone have an idea? I have spent considerable time looking for a solution and it would seem even rolling back to 2.1 is not an option.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that I have already reset the phone to factory defaults twice so it's indeed as vanilla as it gets.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree, this is a frustrating change.

I never checked off on GMail syncing before, the Mail app is all I need.

I keep looking on their web to restore this functionality by allowing users to specify Android settings there - in hopes they'd understand that's the best way to keep people from always having to reconfigure this sort of stuff - but no soap.

Reactions: bcrsr
Upvote 0
Hey EarlyMon,
Thanks! I have only had two issues after the upgrade, this being one of them. I'm probably being fairly petty about it, but I rely on Gmail more than I should. I'm curious, do you use Exchange or some other email service since you are using the Mail app? I may change to an Exchange provider if that would make a difference.

My other issue is surrounding the Wifi Hotspot that I'm paying for. It seems that I cannot change the LAN IP scheme to 10.1.1.1 rather than the default 192.168.1.1. I tried 172.x.x.x and it worked fine as well but cannot figure out why I can't use a 10.x.x.x address. Does it use some kind of strict subnet mask checking?
Thanks again,
Brian :)

Upvote 0
I actually use the Mail app for POP and IMAP (including my GMail) only - we gave up on Exchange as a company a few years back. The Mail app is very flexible - you can set up polling frequency for email checking per account and have that vary from your defined peak vs. off-work hours. It's just rock solid and I like it. I can afford to have my email checked on an interval when I'm on my phone, so this is way OK for me - but everyone has different needs.

Wow. Class A subnetting - what? - unix background?

Once upon a time, we used 10.1.x.x for internal nets, but decided to go Class C (192.) when we collided with something public in that range.

I can't say what they're doing on their hotspot. My suspicion would be that they're trying to allow for 255.255.0.0 masking for places where they have some co-mingling of 192.168. subnetting - but that's just a WAG.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones