• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Synching with OS X and a question about contacts

Talennja

Lurker
Sep 8, 2010
I'm sure this first question has been answered, but I haven't been able to find it. I have a Vibrant and a Mac Book with OS 10.6.4. When I plug in my phone and mount the SD card, nothing happens. I've learned elsewhere that this seems to be a problem with this phone and Macs and I've enabled USB debugging. That works, but for me it is not a proper workaround. Has this problem been fixed? Is there some update for either my phone or my computer I can install that would make it work like it should?

Also, a question about my contacts. Like most, gmail saves every person I email in my contacts. This is fine because on gmail.com they're separated into "my contacts" and "other contacts". On my G1 I was able to only have "my contacts" in my contacts, but on my Vibrant it just threw everyone in there. I was able to get around it by saying only show contacts with numbers, but that's not exactly what I want either. Is there a way to tell the vibrant to only show certain groups of your google contacts?

Thanks!

For the first issue, once you connect your phone via USB bring down the pull down from the home screen (swipe downwards from the clock area) and select mount.

Unfortunately having USB debugging enabled is the only way, as far as I know there has been no fix or updates.

You might look into something like missing sync for android to manage your contacts and such. What I ended up doing was exporting my mac address book to a comma separated list then I imported this into my gmail account. This works well enough for me as I do not use my gmail account for anything but the calendar and storing contacts, so I don't have the problem with all of the emails being saved.

Regarding splitting your gmail contacts into groups, as far as I know - no. I'd love to be able to sort my gmail contacts into friends, family, work - etc. - but this isn't possible with the gmail contacts as they are already, technically, part of a group.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones