• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mo turning on LTE in Vegas in February? Note 2 will support LTE?

colnago

Android Expert
Nov 17, 2009
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/t-mobile-lte-launching-in-las-vegas-within-weeks/

" Want to know just when*T-Mobile's LTE*network goes live? Not long, if you ask CTO Neville Ray. On stage at CES, he declared that the faster access should go live in Las Vegas within "weeks." That includes a full-on*LTE-Advanced*network, and the deployment should be fast with 100 million customers reached in the first half of 2013. Devices? Nothing was immediately confirmed on stage, but Ray and other executives told us and others that the*Galaxy Note II's*known*latent LTE*could be switched on through a firmware update -- although we weren't told when. Magenta customers still have good reason to be happy, however, knowing that their days of being HSPA-only pariahs should soon be over."

I have experience with my phone in that a 4G phone will not work on LTE network.

This is what is happening with my Sprint HTC 4G LTE phone and any of their Sprint LTE phone will not work on 4G. Of course their 4G phone will not work on LTE network too.

I dont know about T-mobile. Is this the same story?

Upvote 0
Sprint's "4G" consists of "WiMax", and I believe now "LTE" however I'm not sure if their LTE deployment is widespread. Different phones would support the different technologies.

T-Mo's 4G is based on newer HSPA protocols, which most newer GSM phones support, and now LTE. While the T-Mo branded Note 2 supports HSPA+, apparently it also has dormant LTE radios installed, which support T-Mo's LTE frequencies.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones