• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to tell if a phone will work on T-Mobile

The Nexus 4 is fine without rooting. I just wanted to put Marshmallow on it and at the time it was just a spare for experimenting. But at least for now, it has become my daily driver again. We'll just have to agree to disagree about the looks and feel. As I've said, I think it's above average in both areas.

It should start updating, one version at a time, until it reaches the last official Google upgrade which is 5.1.1. And yes, of course it will let you know what's happening every step along the way.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
The Nexus 4 is fine without rooting. I just wanted to put Marshmallow on it and at the time it was just a spare for experimenting. But at least for now, it has become my daily driver again. We'll just have to agree to disagree about the looks and feel. As I've said, I think it's above average in both areas.

It should start updating, one version at a time, until it reaches the last official Google upgrade which is 5.1.1. And yes, of course it will let you know what's happening every step along the way.

I DID root it. It's running 11.0. You said that there is a build which enables Band 4. I know the phone is referred to as Mako. What's the build number for Lollipop? or whatever you used?
Either way, how does the update go? I will probably add data for the time she's in the US.

Good Lord - tapping the Nexus to wake up and trying to swipe to turn off screen!

Upvote 0
It took some trial and error to find a stable ROM and matching gapps.apk. I tried 4-5 ROMs which failed one way or another before settling on this one. This thread tells how I ended up doing it.

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7130561

i unlocked the bootloader, Installed TWRP, SuperSU, the ASOP ROM and gapps.apk. This has been perfectly stable for daily use. No LTE but HSPA and HSPA+, voice calls, text messages, WiFi, everything works no problem.

Upvote 0
I'm slowly getting it together. Got a new SIM for it, will check it out again as it was working at the TMO store. Got a case since the back is glass.

Got a question about 12.1. The phone now says it has another update, but it's a nightly. I'm assuming those will be coming at regular intervals. My daughter won't know what to do with them - can notifications be turned off? What does a phone do about charging current? Will a UK adapter convert to what the phone uses?

She's now getting interested in getting the phone.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Now starting to wonder what 5G bands T-Mobile is using, and or expects to use as they roll out the service. Granted, current crop of 5g radios in phones are all battery hogs, but it will be worth knowing.

As it is, I've been trying to keep an eye/ear out for a 5g phone where I can replace the battery. That, unfortunately as of this writing, is a complete blank. :(

Upvote 0
Surprised there aren't any 5G phones with removable batteries yet, hope you find some soon.
It's either that, or I have to dump my number and go to a landline.

For my line of work, a sealed battery phone is literally a case of not if, but when the battery will be dead in the case of an emergency and leave me to literally die, or be unable to respond to a situation.

So I'm extra pissed that phone makers are refusing to abide.

Upvote 0
Well, this is great... not.
my v20 seems to be struggling and might be on the way out.
t-mobile is already blocking the Note 4 my wife was using; she can't even get a signal to call with it anymore. And she's complaining quite loudly about the lg g4 she's using from me because, we can't root it. And before anyone starts, I already checked xda; none of the links work.

And still no 5G phones with a removable battery, that I can get to. I know the fairphone 4 exists, in the EU... but bezos wants over 50% markup to get it here, and ebay is following suit.

Ugh, why is the us phone market such a dumpster fire? :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones