• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile phone on MetroPCS NOT unlocked

FXG

Lurker
Oct 20, 2015
Ok,

So I'm planning on buying a Galaxy S6 Edge & Edge+ from my bud, both used and have clean IMEI/ESN(s). They are from T-Mobile, he bought them and paid them off. I guess you can say T-Mobile branded. They are NOT NOT NOT unlocked, so can I use them on MetroPCS as is or do I have to get them unlocked?

Here's T-Mo's unlock policy:
http://www.t-mobile.com/company/companyinfo.aspx?tp=Abt_Tab_CompanySimUnlockPolicy

Unlock Your Mobile Wireless Device
Learn how to unlock your wireless mobile device for use on other carriers (formerly SIM Unlock).
We're committed to providing you with clear information about how to unlock your mobile wireless phones and tablets for use across different mobile carriers. Most mobile devices are programmed to prevent the device from operating with another wireless carriers network without first obtaining an unlock code.
If you purchased your device from T-Mobile or if you have a T-Mobile authorized device please follow the steps outlined below to determine your eligibility to receive an unlocking code for your device.

DEVICE COMPATIBILITY
It's important to understand that mobile carriers typically use different frequencies and technology to provide wireless network access. This means that not all phones and tablets are compatible between every mobile carrier – for more information about compatibility with T-Mobile’s network please check Bring Your Own Device. Even if your phone or tablet is compatible between carriers, some functionality of your device may not operate the same on a different mobile carrier’s network. Please carefully review your device functionality with any new carriers’ network to make sure that the services are operating as expected.

In order to obtain an unlock code for your mobile wireless phone or tablet you need to contact the mobile carrier or manufacturer who sold you the device. The original carrier or manufacturer can provide you with instructions and specific information on how to unlock the device for use with another mobile carrier.

UNLOCK REQUIREMENTS
We provide mobile device unlock codes free of charge within two business days (or provides further information about timing) for eligible devices.

Device eligibility is determined as follows:

• The device must be a T-Mobile device.
  • The device must not be reported as lost, stolen or blocked to T-Mobile.
  • The account associated with the device must be in good standing.
  • You have requested no more than 2 mobile device unlock codes per line of service in the last 12 months.
  • The device must satisfy all the Postpaid or Prepaid Unlocking terms outlined below.
Unlock Eligibility for Monthly Phones and tablets
  • The device must have been active on the T-Mobile network for at least 40 days on the requesting line.
  • If the device was financed using T-Mobile’s Equipment Installment Plan (EIP), then all payments must be satisfied and the device must be paid in full.
  • If the device is on an account that has are under a service contract term, then at least 18 consecutive monthly payments must have been made or the account was migrated to Simple Choice no contract rate plan.
  • If the device is associated with a canceled account, then the account balance must be zero.
  • T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

Unlock Eligibility for Prepaid Phones and Tablets

• The device has been active on the T-Mobile network for more than 1 year.
  • If the device has been active for less than 1 year, then the Prepaid account associated with the device must have had more than $25 in refills for basic phones or $100 in refills for smartphones or tablet since device first use date.
  • T-Mobile may request proof of purchase or additional information in its discretion and certain other exceptions may apply.

Military and Other Exceptions
Deployed military personnel who are customers in good standing are eligible to have their devices unlocked upon provision of deployment papers. Exceptions to some or all requirements may apply in other circumstances for Business and Government Accounts. Please contact us for more details.

STEPS
If a device meets the eligibly requirements, contact T-Mobile Customer Service to request an unlock code, and steps to unlock your device.
Exceptions for Military Personnel and Business and Government Accounts may apply in certain circumstances. Contact T-Mobile Customer Service for more details.

Important:
This policy is subject to T-Mobile’s Terms and Conditions of service and may change without notice. T-Mobile may deny any request for a mobile device unlock code at our sole discretion if the request is an effort to defraud the company.

Reactions: confed
Upvote 0
Basically my friend has to contact T-Mobile because he has information about the device that is relevant/required to have it unlocked? I couldn't do it myself?
Something doesn't sound right.
If the devices are free & clear,why wouldn't the original owner have the devices unlocked/ready to go for you?
I wouldn't buy them otherwise.
If the seller continues to stonewall regarding unlocking,call T-Mobile w/the IMEI's & ask about the unlock status.

Upvote 0
Something doesn't sound right.
If the devices are free & clear,why wouldn't the original owner have the devices unlocked/ready to go for you?
I wouldn't buy them otherwise.
If the seller continues to stonewall regarding unlocking,call T-Mobile w/the IMEI's & ask about the unlock status.

No no, it's not a problem. I'd just rather do it myself as I get impatient. I've known this guy for about 5 years so it's no scam. He just doesn't have much off time to handle the situation. But it's been settled and will be handled this weekend. Thanks for the help and quick responses.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Ok,

So I'm planning on buying a Galaxy S6 Edge & Edge+ from my bud, both used and have clean IMEI/ESN(s). They are from T-Mobile, he bought them and paid them off. I guess you can say T-Mobile branded. They are NOT NOT NOT unlocked, so can I use them on MetroPCS as is or do I have to get them unlocked?

When I bought my T-mibile branded note 4 I took it straight to metro (NOT unlocked) and they got me going, according to the guy since T-mobile basically owns metro or something it did not matter. I've only done it that one time.

Upvote 0
I think what they're saying is that recently, since note5 / s6...gotta unlock first in one before using in the other...

Exactly:
Basically,if it has the device unlock app on-board,you're gonna have to meet the guidelines posted previously.

A good example:
I was able to use an unlock code on the Note4 w/o the device unlock app on-board.
(Can't verify if this still holds true,updates may include a device unlock app)

The Note5,it's not gonna work,the code has to come from T-Mobile.

I also purchased an unlock code for my LG G Stylo on Metro,but,it will not work,as that phone comes with the device unlock app as well,just like the one from T-Mobile.
I had to meet their requirements before an unlock code was issued.

Reactions: horsecharles
Upvote 0
I dropped my Metro PCS service in October,all I have ATM is T-Mobile,so,I can't test for the pop-up/message.
But,if I remember correctly,there was a pop-up that led to the Device unlock app & that's as far as I got with the Metro PCS SIM Card/service in myT-Mobile Note5.

Upvote 0
I dropped my Metro PCS service in October,all I have ATM is T-Mobile,so,I can't test for the pop-up/message.
But,if I remember correctly,there was a pop-up that led to the Device unlock app & that's as far as I got with the Metro PCS SIM Card/service in myT-Mobile Note5.

That's unusual I have yet to encounter that with any of the T-mobile handsets, the next Note 5 I get in my hands I will keep you posted.

Upvote 0
Ok,

Have your bud unlock it from Tmobile for free. If he has service long enough to pay it off, it qualifies.

"They are from T-Mobile, he bought them and paid them off."

Upvote 0
Exactly:
Basically,if it has the device unlock app on-board,you're gonna have to meet the guidelines posted previously.

A good example:
I was able to use an unlock code on the Note4 w/o the device unlock app on-board.
(Can't verify if this still holds true,updates may include a device unlock app)

The Note5,it's not gonna work,the code has to come from T-Mobile.

I also purchased an unlock code for my LG G Stylo on Metro,but,it will not work,as that phone comes with the device unlock app as well,just like the one from T-Mobile.
I had to meet their requirements before an unlock code was issued.

That's not entirely true. Last July I bought a Stylo thru Metro. Family member needed to use it on Tmobile. I purchased an unlock from eBay ($10). It was thru the unlock app, all online, but still unlocked.

Later The phone came back to me, and my GF uses it on Metro again. In the long run the unlock would be free, but it still worked buying one early.

Today it may not be true, but last July it worked. The eBay listing said it had to be unlocked with the app, so if your phone didn't have it, you could download it.

Upvote 0
After reading this thread, I noticed that multiple people stated that you can use a T-Mobile phone on metro service. But I asked and employee today and he said that it does need to be unlocked.
Does anybody know if this is true or does he not know what he's talking about ?

I just asked MetroPCS about this and they didn't really answer my question. They just replied that they take all unlocked phones as long as the Metro sim card can fit.

I've read a different thread that says you don't need to unlock a Tmobile phone for Metro but I haven't seen anything official.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones