• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] Reboot Issue

bloodbath

Lurker
Jun 4, 2012
I am having reboot issue (can't do it manually - receive "not permited" - by sending commands in terminal emulator, nor with other apps like Tasker for which I am trying to set up daily reboots). I noticed that there many more items in the bin folder vs xbin folder (e.g. reboot file isn't in xbin). Do they need to be for the commands to work? If so, how do I move them over (simple copy/paste with Solid explorer or something more involved)? If I do a clean install, will this fix the issue? I have a HTC One that is unlocked, rooted, and s-off. I am running the Android Revolution HD 12.1 ROM. I have the xposed framework and the MoDaCo Toolkit mod installed also. Busybox seems to be installed via Titanium Backup.

Reactions: marctronixx
are you able to reboot normally if you restore a stock nandroid? if so,maybe look for the solution in the rom that your using's development thread :)

Honestly, haven't gone back to stock. I'm on T-Mobile so I don't know if the easiest way to return to stock is by using the RUU, which doesn't exist for T-Mobile at the moment (as far as I know). I'm also afraid that I may not be able to keep root, stay s-off, etc if I do.

Upvote 0
Honestly, haven't gone back to stock. I'm on T-Mobile so I don't know if the easiest way to return to stock is by using the RUU, which doesn't exist for T-Mobile at the moment (as far as I know). I'm also afraid that I may not be able to keep root, stay s-off, etc if I do.

did you not make a backup you can restore? if not,let this be a lesson to always make a backup of any good working rom,especially stock,in case you need to return to it.

if you need to ruu,check the post under this one ;) ( http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-one-all-things-root/743339-ruu-t-mobile-1-27-531-11-7-23-13-a.html)

you will not lose s off. youll just need to reinstall a recovery after running the ruu

Upvote 0
did you not make a backup you can restore? if not,let this be a lesson to always make a backup of any good working rom,especially stock,in case you need to return to it.

if you need to ruu,check the post under this one ;) ( http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-one-all-things-root/743339-ruu-t-mobile-1-27-531-11-7-23-13-a.html)

you will not lose s off. youll just need to reinstall a recovery after running the ruu

I always seem to learn things the hard way. lol I did do a backup of the original stock ROM, but not the recovery (I backed it up using TWRP). My understanding is that to go back to stock, I must have the original recovery installed, but I thought that was included in the RUU. Also, since I upgraded to 4.2.2 (ARHD 12.2), I had to install the new firmware. Will this be an issue? I know when I first went from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 my touchscreen lost all touch capabilities until the firmware was upgraded. Sorry, about all the questions, but my HTC MyTouch 4g (Glacier) never had this issue or needed any upgrades like this when I changed ROMs. Everything worked as it should (well, most everything, but those were mainly camera issues. etc - not reboot permission issues). Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it.

Upvote 0
I always seem to learn things the hard way. lol I did do a backup of the original stock ROM, but not the recovery (I backed it up using TWRP). My understanding is that to go back to stock, I must have the original recovery installed, but I thought that was included in the RUU. Also, since I upgraded to 4.2.2 (ARHD 12.2), I had to install the new firmware. Will this be an issue? I know when I first went from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 my touchscreen lost all touch capabilities until the firmware was upgraded. Sorry, about all the questions, but my HTC MyTouch 4g (Glacier) never had this issue or needed any upgrades like this when I changed ROMs. Everything worked as it should (well, most everything, but those were mainly camera issues. etc - not reboot permission issues). Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it.

you have heard incorrectly. you do NOT need the stock recovery in place to run an ruu. the purpose of an ruu is to restore all partitions to stock,so all you need to do is run the .exe utility and plug the phone in when instructed. the utility will restore all partitions,including the recovery and old TP firmware.

since you are s-off,you will NOT need to relock the bootloader.

if you have issue with the .exe,first try running it in the OS,then with the phone in fastboot. failing that,you can extract rom.zip in this manner:

the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in fastboot

you can flash rom.zip in this manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

hope that answers your questions.. holler if you need anything else :)

edit:
couple tips for running the ruu:
1)make sure the battery is charged fully
2)make sure you sit the phone somewhere it will not fall or be pestered during the update process. pulling the usb cable out during update of certain partitions can leave the phone unrecoverably bricked.

Reactions: clsA
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones