• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tablet? (Not specific enough for one sub-forum...)

ssaruoypu

Lurker
Sep 2, 2010
I'm going to be checking out android tablets, and I'm wondering what's the general consensus on the best "bang for the buck".
This is coming from a Droid owner who has purchased a spare just because it's so easily exploited compared to newer Android phones.
I'm looking for something I can get the absolute most out of, possibly hackable, etc.
-I'm also completely new to the tablet thing, but have fallen in love with the simplicity of Android. My Droid has even inspired me to look at Linux OSes for my desktop.

Thanks, all!

I'm following tablets too! It looks like the Archos would be the best for me right now. I don't know how hackable it is, but it has a kickstand, it will also be running 2.2. The samsung looks nice, but it's Samsung, and after my experience with my Samsung Moment, I will never buy another Samsung product. The Dell looks like a joke, so the Archos 10, or 7 looks like the one for me!

Upvote 0
There are a lot of upcoming tablets that are expected to hit the market in November/December or sometime early next year.

Expect to see tablets from Samsung, Motorola, LG, Toshiba, Asus, and others. And, as has been pointed out already Archos has several tablets on the market and several more that will become available very soon.

Which is the best bang for the buck? I'm not sure anyone can answer that question accurately yet. Of the upcoming tablets, pricing is currently only known for the Archos offerings. Pricing for the Samsung has supposedly been announced for Europe but no official U.S. pricing is yet available. Until we get closer to an official release date on some of these new tablets they may remain enigma's for a while...

Upvote 0
I too have 2 Moto Droids... one for regular use and one for hacking and test... also 2 ZT-180 tablets which aren't ready for general users but are 10" and under $200 but only ARM11 (So Quadrant # on my 1.1 Ghz overclocked Droids are ~1650 while on 1Ghz ZT-180 <300...) so again fun to hack around with... My next really does seem to be narrowing down to the Archos 101 @~$300 due out sometime in October with 1Ghz A8+DSP and running 2.2 with HDMI out and Capacitive screen...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones