• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Selphtitled

Lurker
Oct 21, 2012
Hi I am just getting into Android. I am 51 so i'm on the slightly older tech user side of things. I posted in another thread on here about getting an android phone and your community was so helpful. So i decides to ask for some advice on Android tablets. I would like something easy to use. I have used ipads before so i have experience with tablets, but i don't need all the bells and whistles. Some people have suggested a Kindle Fire.

Google certified Android tablets will have more bells and whistles than an iPad. Are you looking for something with less features than an iPad?

Also, what are you needs with regard to portability/mobility? 7" tablets are easier to carry around. If you plan to use it mostly at home, you may not need something that small. Still a 7" tablet is a lot easier to hold with one hand than a 10", but a 10" may be easier to read.

If you plan to do any significant amount of typing, the ASUS Transformer line of tablets with keyboard dock is the best there is. If you don't plan on doing much typing then you won't need this features.

Upvote 0
Nexus 7 would be my recommendation for you. But, please wait until after the 29th of this month to buy one - as there is an announcement and the pricing may change in your favor.

The Nexus 7 is the same price range as the Kindle Fire, but has better hardware. It also runs Android, whereas the Kindle Fire runs the Amazon version of Android. This means that it is slightly different to use and more importantly - you can only download apps for the Kindle Fire from the Amazon App store. The Amazon App store is a fraction of the Google Play Store as Amazon must approve all apps for the Fire and appear to be very selective.

That said, if you are a big consumer of Amazon, the Kindle Fire could be for you. It has great integration with Amazon Prime to watch movies, Amazon purchasing, etc. However, if you simple use the Kindle Fire to read books, you can download the Kindle Reader app on to a Nexus 7 and read all of your books on a Nexus.

Overall, for the same price (give or take $20 or so generally), you get a more open and true version of Android and more available apps with the Nexus 7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones