• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Taking a trip to germany, have a couple of questions

Like the title says, I'm gonna be heading out to Germany soon (live in California, but my family is back in the old world). My nexus one has really become my little everything, and for some reason, I never realized that it might not function properly when I leave the country. Having realized this, and having realized I know virtually nothing about this particular issue, I beseech thee, fellow nexus one users, to enlighten me.

-Will I be able to simply connect to whatever particular network has the same frequencies as T-mo, for both internet and call/text?

-if not (and I imagine that's how its going to be), what exactly do I have to do to go about to do this?

I was going to go to a t-mo and raise the same question, but I figured I'd run it by you guys first.

Thanks for any help!

If you have roaming enabled (by your service provider) then it should be no problem.

I believe that the US T-Mobile N1 is the same as the Nexus One that is shipped to the UK and therefore will work well throughout Europe. I travel from UK to France on occasions for work and it works fine roaming. The phone should simply find a network and use it when you arrive. You may see that it switches network as you travel, but this doesn't matter.

When I've been in France I regularly get a switch from Orange F to Movistar etc etc when I travel around from area to area.

The main thing you need to watch is your data connections. If you are worried about your charges then look at switching off automatic data while you travel.

Upvote 0
People here in Germany have been importing the Nexus One from the US for a while, they work fine here. You should really find out about your roaming costs, though. For data they can be completely ridiculous, even when using a contract from one European country in another. Every once in a while you can read about poor fools who manage to rack up a phone bill of thousands of Euros during a short vacation, just because they paid no attention to the roaming charges.

Depending on how long you will stay in Germany and how often you use data, you might be better off buying some pre-paid card locally. Technically there is a legal requirement that you have a German address and ID for this. That would mean quite a hassle, but only the dedicated stores of the big service providers check for this. If you buy such a card at a checkout in a supermarket, the cashier likely won't bother checking anything.

Upvote 0
As everyone else said; you should get a local SIM; although if money is no object to you then it will would work as is.

I bought a SIM in Brussels for about 20euro which included data for 7 days. Just go to tmobile.de - From the places ive traveld Tmo has had the best data plans for non contract sims; they have one called Xtraweb and walk which covers data and calls and it's pretty reasonable.

Upvote 0
your phone will work fine, all versions of the nexus one have the 2100mhz band for 3G that is used in europe.

it depends how long you are staying there. if its less than a week then you can probably just roam using your tmobile sim card, and pay the roaming fees. if you are gonna be there 2 weeks or longer, definitely pick up a local pre-paid sim card wherever you go to, pick the carrier, and use that. this way you will have a local number for people there to call you so its not expensive for them to call you. and you can try to get a data package on your sim too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones