• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Talk about SIP apps?

r3dlined

Jul 18, 2010
CT
No one wants to talk about SIP apps? I haven't seen any good single place discussions. I have tried three so far all over WiFi only (I have no cell service in my house):

Fring: Overall this one has been the best as far as call quality. It seems to have a bit of trouble and connecting over WiFi at times though (I can't tell if its the terrible WiFi in the X or the app just yet).

Main reason I would prefer something else besides Fring is that it does not show who is calling from my address book. It will only display the numer@sipclient.

CSipSimple: This one looks like it has great potential, but as said on the page, it's unstable. I am unable to hear the caller talking when receiving a call.

Sipdroid: overall this seems the most stable, but the other caller hears themselves echo (I have tested every setting and cannot seem to fix this). Integrates pretty much perfectly with the address book and dialer.

Am I missing some others that are good to try out. My choice would be Fring at this point, but I wish it would show me who was calling from the address book.

I will talk to you about it,I use magic jack info in sipdroid app on captivate,Works like a champ.The feed back can be solved by lowering the mic and head set gain to 'low'.Do not use on speaker phone.The only draw back about this app is there is no kill switch.you have to go to settings>applications>manageapplications>settings>filter>running>select sipdroid>force stop. This is a pain in the ass because i dont use voip that often,but every time you re-boot it will run automatic. You got questions-i got answers

Upvote 0
I have tried messing with all the gain settings, but I haven't actually taken a yet to try and turn the actual ear volume down on the droid itself.

Fring honestly seems to give me the best audio quality, but I am going to keep playing. Unfortunately, I have no cell phone service at my house so this is a great option for me esp routing my GV number with Sipgate.

I am also having an address book issue wich I have posted on sipdroids issue list which is Issue 357. It looks like only certain contacts in my google contacts are actually recognized by sipdroid and I cant figure out why. Take a look at that issue if you can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones