• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task Switching

my 1st smartphone altogether. it's like going from never driving a car to driving a ferrari. where does one start? i'm killing the battery pretty quick learning and DL apps, but it's freaking awesome and i can't put it down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm having problems putting it down as well. Usually the newness wears off by now. Not this thing its awesome!

The menu key also has a long press feature...it brings up your keyboard.

Reactions: Lars
Upvote 0
Hello,

Sorry for revamping an old thread, but I would really love to have something in the way of better task switching in Android. While I do realise that you can use the long-press home key, it's not what I would call true task switching. When you swap to another app, you're not guaranteed to return to that app in the exact state that it was in when you left.

For example, if you're composing a text message, swap out to look something up then return, the text message has been closed and put into my Drafts folder. Another simple example (serving only as an example, not a practical use-case) would be to use Google Goggles to search something, swap out and back, and the picture that you had taken previously is gone, and Goggles has returned back to the camera screen.

In short, I want the Windows ALT-TAB functionality. No change to the app state when I return to it.

I suspect that this might have more to do with how Android treats running apps, but I really don't know.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
EnigmaticSoul

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones