1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Tasker Variables global

Last Updated:

1. cdikland

cdikland Member This Topic's Starter

Are variable defined by a task within one profile available to tasks within an other profile. In other words, are variable defined by tasks considered GLOBAL?? If so, then I dont understand why I cant get my If/endif block to work.
    Here is what I got

Profile1 - Headphone plugged in run musicplayer, set var1=True, (Exit task) Headphone unplugged Go Home, set var1=False.

This works without fail however when I try to make use of var1 within an Exit Task of another profile such as

Profile 2 Exit task:
    tsk1 -If var1=False
    tsk2 do something
    tsk3 endif

tsk 2 never executes even though I confirmed that var1 is set to False.

Any ideas??

Advertisement
  2. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

Try changing your variable name from var1 to Var1 to change it from local to global variable.

Tasker for Android
    Code (Text):
    1. Global vs Local Variables
    3. All built-in variables are global, meaning they are visible anywhere in Tasker (e.g. %WIFI)
    4. User variables which have one or more capital letters in their name are also global (e.g. %Car)
    6. However, user variables which have all-lower-case names (e.g. %fruit) are local, meaning they are only visible in the task in which they are used (or the scene in which they are used, if the task was launched from by a scene event).
    8. In general, it's best to use local variables wherever possible because:
    10. you know they won't be interfered with by other tasks
    11. they are more efficient in several ways
    12. Note: multiple copies of the same task running at the same time each have their own separate copy of their local variables.

3. cdikland

cdikland Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind for future reference, however...
    In my original post/example I should have used what I actually had in Tasker which is:

1. if %powerAmpOn=False
    2. Security Setting - Configuration Set Pin
    3. endif

The above would not work however the following did

1. if %powerAmpOn ~ False
    2. Security Setting - Configuration Set Pin

So... Did the last example work because I changed the = to ~ or because I removed the endif???

4. IAmHe

IAmHe Member

According to the User Guide section on pattern matching
    "Matches (~)
    The right parameter is a pattern which the left parameter is matched against.
    Equals (=)
    As above, but the two parameters must be numerically equal."

If I interpret that correctly, you fixed it by replacing the operator used to compare numeric values (=) with the one that is to compare strings (~). Got bit by that myself the other day! :D

-IAmHe