• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root TBH New Release

It doesn't but i'm not seeing how thisis different than tethering.. Don't get the wrong idea, im not supporting it this or using it, but why are we attacking this and not tethering also.

Really? I think you're smarter than that. You really can't see how modifing your nvram to trick Verizons app is different that downloading wifi tether? If there wasn't' a difference you wouldn't need to do it now would you? And you can't see how this is going to look bad for the modders? Even if you think it's ok the carriers are going to see it different and will use it to justify even more lock downs.

I'm not going to try to change your minds. If you think its the same then go for it just don't be surprised if you get a big bill some day and P3 gets arrested. :eek:

I just disagree.

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0
Well its really whatever to me anyways. BUT. I've noticed on appbrain some of u that are not liking the patch are running barnacle...gba emulators...snes emulators and so on. We all agree it is wrong to download the bios and roms if u do not own them. Im just saying its hard to pick and choose what is right and wrong. Its different for everyone. Peace out. I hope someone comes up with a way to overcome the infrastructure problem without having to mod an existing app. Maybe wifitether or barnicle will do this I. Future updates even though i dont see a difference...Loving my DX!!! Happy thoughts everyone. I don't hate anybody.. :)

Even if we want to pick and choose whats right and whats wrong I think we can all agree this isn't going to look good for the mod community and it s not going to help us in getting more freedom for our phones.

Reactions: jreed2560
Upvote 0
I just don't see why there isn't such an outcry for the free tether too. You can use the same data. The only big difference I saw was that you can connect Android devices in infrastructure mode. I don't think this is going to hurt the mod community more than barnacle and free wireless tether. This won't draw as much attention as those apps that do "basically" the same thing and are openly available on the market. Do you think Verizon cares if we steal data with their bloatware or an app off the market?

Upvote 0
Booooooooo.... I'm saving his career with the game I dropped in my post... Most of you squares wouldn't understand!!!

I understand. That'd be like me saying people should pay me every time they include my build.props in their rom. Which is RIDICULOUS. You found a loophole, which is awesome, and you decided to share it. Thank you.

But you did not reinvent the wheel buddy, so please, take a step back and stop acting like an idiot over a simple piece of information.

If you're so uptight about it, why did you even share it to begin with? Makes no sense.

Upvote 0
I'm with dmiller, I will be one who doesn't even use this.

I would be willing to bet most folks who have wanted to use the X as a hot spot already have by now and probably don't HAVE to have multiple devices enough to go and search a forum for the hack.. but hey maybe some do.

Either way, I do agree people should not have to pay for a thing as such, I don't think that people should be making money off of it either....

Upvote 0
Is the hack still working for everyone on here? Won't work for me today. It did for the first two days, then today it tells me, "can not connect the data link, please contact your service provider"... are they that quick that they patched the loophole up already? Or do I just need to do a battery pull/reset or something?

Wireless Tether still works flawlessly btw.

Upvote 0
Is the hack still working for everyone on here? Won't work for me today. It did for the first two days, then today it tells me, "can not connect the data link, please contact your service provider"... are they that quick that they patched the loophole up already? Or do I just need to do a battery pull/reset or something?

Wireless Tether still works flawlessly btw.

Mine gave me the same error the first couple times I tried it and I couldn't get it to work. I just gave up for now and sticking with wireless tether

Upvote 0
Yes it still works. Don't see why it wouldn't. If other android devices/tablets supported adhoc there would be no big deal about this. (To me) yeah updato.g my ps3 will be easier with this but I just pdanet /win7/connectify anyways. So this just cut out the middle man. ((Why can't android devices see an adhoc connection))

Upvote 0
I understand. That'd be like me saying people should pay me every time they include my build.props in their rom. Which is RIDICULOUS. You found a loophole, which is awesome, and you decided to share it. Thank you.

But you did not reinvent the wheel buddy, so please, take a step back and stop acting like an idiot over a simple piece of information.

If you're so uptight about it, why did you even share it to begin with? Makes no sense.

Because if you read his thread on XDA he doesn't have a clue (even though it's acting like a big shot here) and needed help.

Upvote 0
I just don't see why there isn't such an outcry for the free tether too. You can use the same data. The only big difference I saw was that you can connect Android devices in infrastructure mode. I don't think this is going to hurt the mod community more than barnacle and free wireless tether. This won't draw as much attention as those apps that do "basically" the same thing and are openly available on the market. Do you think Verizon cares if we steal data with their bloatware or an app off the market?

I'm betting there is a big difference legally. (of course I'm no lawyer so ...;))

Listen I'm no saint but I just see this different. Maybe I'm wrong go figure, it wouldn't be the first time.

However I differently see it as absolutely being a bad thing for those that want to argue that we should be allowed control of our devices.

What say you?

Upvote 0
Oh yeah. I'm not on the "unlimited means unlimited" side of the fence. I have barnacle but use it sparingly (can't get dsl at my house) and use my phone (not the computer connected to it) for everything I need the internet for. Including every mod I've done to my phone and every post I've made on this forum. I'm just saying I think people are blowing this hack out of proportion when there are options on the market that steal data also. I'm not seeing the major advantages infrastructure mode gives probably. It seems like they're very similar in terms of legality. Would it be better if someone created another apk to use with the hack?

Upvote 0
verizon has EVERY RIGHT to charge users to tether. data to a phone, and data relayed to a computer (or 5) are two very different things. they have been charging $30 to tether for years, and this is no different.
users who tether use far more data on average than users who dont. so, there is a CLEAR reason to charge for the ability to do so.

and, you ask, why sit on it? maybe because he was deciding whether or not it was ok to help people violate verizon's TOS, and circumvent a large mode of revenue. of course, once the cat was already out of the bag, maybe that pushed him to let his own cat out of the bag.

I'm glad that someone has finally gotten it. :)

We have had this for some time, and the information used to create this zip is in the public domain. Granted its found in different pieces but a person of intelligence should be able to put the pieces together.

Yes this is a philosophical debate, wether to release the zip or not, one which we all (TBH) agreed should not be done unless someone else posted a way to attain the same results through different methods. Once this was done via the off/on switch, we revisited the topic and decided now it was a moot issue as it was now attainable.

I guess I don't understand some of you who decry this method but will still use, (Barnacle, PDAnet, or wireless/wired tether). They all do the same thing as this hack, they all allow you to tether your device and use the 3G server rather than the 3G Hotspot service. At their core all of the applications are doing the same thing as this.

The decision to use this hack has to be a personal one, one which TBH does not believe we need to make for the community, let your own moral compass be your guide.

I do not use the Hotspot app, but that is my decision, you make your own.

Upvote 0
The android market is OPEN, people can make apps that do whatever they want, but to hack an app that comes pre loaded on the phone to do something that circumvents Verizons TOS is why this is a big deal. You can use the sdk and make your own app do what ever you want. But in doing this you have given Verizon and Motorola a reason to say "See, this is why we lock these phones down!"

Upvote 0

We have had this for some time, and the information used to create this zip is in the public domain. Granted its found in different pieces but a person of intelligence should be able to put the pieces together.

Yes this is a philosophical debate, wether to release the zip or not, one which we all (TBH) agreed should not be done unless someone else posted a way to attain the same results through different methods. Once this was done via the off/on switch, we revisited the topic and decided now it was a moot issue as it was now attainable.

I guess I don't understand some of you who decry this method but will still use, (Barnacle, PDAnet, or wireless/wired tether). They all do the same thing as this hack, they all allow you to tether your device and use the 3G server rather than the 3G Hotspot service. At their core all of the applications are doing the same thing as this.

The decision to use this hack has to be a personal one, one which TBH does not believe we need to make for the community, let your own moral compass be your guide.

I know I've been fairly outspoken with my criticism, but I must say that I respect this. Thank you!!

Upvote 0

I shared it because I felt AP/Infrastructure Mode could be useful to some.

I saw no one in this "community" making progress towards making this a reality. So, I took it upon myself to understand how VZ made AP possible through 3GMH, yet so elusive for Barnacle/Android Wireless Tether.

Ever wonder why /etc/wifi contains both fw_wlan1271.bin & fw_tiwlan_ap.bin? Probably not, but just so you know, every time you fire up 3GMH, fw_wlan1271.bin(firmware that supports client mode wifi) gets swapped out for fw_tiwlan_ap.bin(firmware that supports AP mode, and breaks client mode). Good luck to whoever decides to cook up the custom firmware/solution to make this possible without 3GMH(any volunteers? Is it even worth it at this point?).

And no, you don't understand what you had quoted. Continue on.

we actually sat on this for some time and are now releasing because the other hack was posted. but we had some great philosophical discussions before todays release, and if the other hack was not posted you would still not have this.

^^^ Need I say more? I started my research into this 7 days ago. 2 days in, I had a workable solution. 5 days in, P3Droid felt the need to play a card he's apparently been holding on to. Those who think the art of hacking is solely practiced in the realm of bits and bytes, and that the most technically adept is the most superior, are sorely mistaken.

Mission Accomplished, with minimum effort exerted.

You all might want to take some notes...

P.S. I might have been a little out of line when I jumped on P3Droid, but I still have my reservations about the way he operates. To be conflicted about releasing this patch, yet still push leaks in the manner he has, sounds like a thief having remorse about running a red light.

P.S.S. Thankyou P3Droid!!!

Upvote 0
I shared it because I felt AP/Infrastructure Mode could be useful to some.

I saw no one in this "community" making progress towards making this a reality. So, I took it upon myself to understand how VZ made AP possible through 3GMH, yet so elusive for Barnacle/Android Wireless Tether.

Ever wonder why /etc/wifi contains both fw_wlan1271.bin & fw_tiwlan_ap.bin? Probably not, but just so you know, every time you fire up 3GMH, fw_wlan1271.bin(firmware that supports client mode wifi) gets swapped out for fw_tiwlan_ap.bin(firmware that supports AP mode, and breaks client mode). Good luck to whoever decides to cook up the custom firmware/solution to make this possible without 3GMH(any volunteers? Is it even worth it at this point?).

And no, you don't understand what you had quoted. Continue on.

^^^ Need I say more? I started my research into this 7 days ago. 2 days in, I had a workable solution. 5 days in, P3Droid felt the need to play a card he's apparently been holding on to. Those who think the art of hacking is solely practiced in the realm of bits and bytes, and that the most technically adept is the most superior, are sorely mistaken.

Mission Accomplished, with minimum effort exerted.

You all might want to take some notes...

P.S. I might have been a little out of line when I jumped on P3Droid, but I still have my reservations about the way he operates. To be conflicted about releasing this patch, yet still push leaks in the manner he has, sounds like a thief having remorse about running a red light.

P.S.S. Thankyou P3Droid!!!

This will be the last time I address you, but releasing leaks do not cost companies money, there is a vast ocean of differences between that and this hack.

Upvote 0

Just saw this after my last post... Having said that, I have gained a bit of respect for you!

Upvote 0
We make our decisions very carefully and we attempt to do what is in the best interest of the entire community, the potential backlash, locking down of devices, etc. are a big concern. We hope people will be responsible, and not abusive.

I'm glad you edited this because your initial response was just as douchey as everything else you've done. Way to take an olive branch and wipe your ass with it!

And I might not understand exactly whats being done behind the scenes, but the end result is the same and its still bad for the community.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones