• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Telus HTC Hero Root Guide.

Has this tutorial worked for you?

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No *let us know why below, and we will try to help*

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have more questions about the process. *ask them below!*

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Has anyone been successful rooting Telus Hero using "Universal Androot" and then flashing 2.1 or 2.2 using "Rom manager"? Guy from Bestbuy told me about it last night, seems too easy and too good to be true.

Ya i have read of a few people that tried it and no it does not work. Every person who tried it kept getting error's.

Thats like me before i rooted my phone, i walked into the Telus store to get a phone for my wife and when the rep noticed i had a Hero he asked if i had updated to 2.1 yet. I said it hasn't come out for Telus, he said yes it has....

Even though he was aware of the rooting process and flashing rom's, he thought that the new HTC sync download for your desktop was the actuall 2.1 update...

I have decided after that not to listen to anyone except for the lovely folks here in the community!:D

Upvote 0
Ya i have read of a few people that tried it and no it does not work. Every person who tried it kept getting error's.

So you're on 1.5 right now? I don't know for sure if the universal one works on heroes with 1.5, which would explain it. Unless it's some specific difference to do with Telus that you're referring to?

You could always switch to unbranded firmware, OTA to 2.1 and then root :)

Upvote 0
@Xyro,
Its not me who was asking it was Pawn5.

The Telus version of 1.5 had a security block that prevented people from easliy rooting their phone's. There is a lot of debate wether or not that is the reason that theywill not introduce 2.1 to the Telus hero. Because it is easier to root with the 2.1 then the 1.5 Telus Android.

As far as the universal one goes, I don't think theywork with Hero's at all but i have never tried since the only way to root the Telus Hero is with Bak 2 Basik's rooting guide. =P

Upvote 0
Yes, I am on 1.5. I ran the Universal androot and it said it was successful. It gave me superuser access, but I found it odd that it would not let me boot in recovery mode (home+power).

So I'm now debating if I should try installing a rom with Rom manager, but there's not a lot of talk of it. Has anybody had any success with it?

Maybe it's better I just stick to the Bak 2 Basiks route. Sounds like it's tried and true!

Upvote 0
Yeah, so it sounds like Telus Heroes don't work any differently to the rest of them. So with that in mind,

The universal android root thingy won't work with any device on 1.5 to my knowledge, but it will root any 2.1 hero. So how do you get 2.1 on a Telus Hero? Like this :) It's a very similar method as the guide posted in this thread, in that you make a goldcard and change to a different firmware. Except in this case you then go on to upgrade to 2.1 (rather than root 1.5), since 2.1 is so much easier to root.

So once you get 2.1, universal android root + ROM manager should do the trick.

EDIT: Oh and don't forget the easy way to make a goldcard http://androidforums.com/hero-all-things-root/144906-easy-way-make-goldcard-takes-less-than-2-mins.html.

Upvote 0
Well, if some super smart programmer just made a rooting app for the Telus Hero then hats off to him, he should be given a nobel prize. Now as fr as superuser access, from what i understand SuperUser is only given to those that have root access.

If you are rooted then i think you only need to follow the instructions on how to load a recovery tool.

But also from what i have read, if you can't get into recovery, then you are not rooted.

Maybe google this to find out what other users have said?
other than that, i would just use the Bak 2 Basik guide as it has been done thousands of times and worked for everyone, and there is also a lot of support for that guide such as troubleshooting and so on.

GL friend!!

Upvote 0
Ok, had my Telus hero on service, just got back but now with a new 2.1 rom. So will the bak2basik guide still work for rooting?

Nope. But this will:

- Root the phone using this method

To put a custom ROM on:
- Put Amon Ra on the root of your sdcard (i.e. not in a folder).
- Put your ROM.zip and any other .zips you need to flash on the root of your sdcard.
- Make sure you have anything you need backed up. Everything on the phone's internal memory is going to be wiped completely. (The sdcard is safe, of course). So contacts (if they aren't google/sim contacts), apps and sms messages need to be backed up, for example. Titanium Backup and SMS Backup & Restore are useful apps in this situation.
- Install ROM Manager from the market
- Launch RM and pick the first option to flash clockwork, let it finish.
- Launch RM again and pick the bottom option, to flash amon ra.
- Turn off the phone
- Boot by holding Home + Power, at which point amon ra should appear.
- Under the backup menu, do a 'nand backup'. This backs up your current firmware, so you should be doing a nand backup before you flash anything in the future.
- Under the wipe menu, do a factory reset, a cache wipe and a dalvik cache wipe.
- Then pick the option to flash a .zip from the sdcard and point it at your ROM.zip of choice.
- Any extra .zips you need should be flashed the same way after this. (e.g. themes, kernels).
- Reboot
- Install TB and any other backup apps used from the market, restore, and have fun :)

Reactions: Nipit
Upvote 0
It's probably just that the app you're trying to move doesn't support apps2sd. (Unless you can't move any apps?)

There's an option in Villain Settings (or CyanogenMod settings, I'm not sure what villain call it), to allow the movement of all apps to the sdcard. Although it's not recommended you move widgets.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones