• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Terrible Download Speeds using Wireless Tether

When I use wireless tether on my 4g connection, I am consistently getting speeds of 0.1 Mb down and 0.8 Mb up... this is with numerous tests over several days with various versions of wireless tether and different roms (currently using stock). I have also tried wiping the cache in recovery between wireless tether installs with no luck. The connection on the phone itself when I'm on 4g is regularly between 4-8 Mb/s down and almost always exactly 1.0 Mb up. I am new to android and this was probably the biggest reason for me to get this phone. While I'm not expecting 4 Mb on a wirelessly tethered connection, I would think it should be much faster than 0.1! I don't know what info from my phone is needed to help, so I apologize if this is information overload:

Android 2.2
Baseband Version: 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.17-gee557fd htc-kernel@and18-2 #15
Software number: 3.70.651.1
PRI Version: 1.90_003

Wireless Tether: version 2.0.6 - I have tried other versions mentioned in other threads (pre9, pre11, etc.) that were supposed to work, but no luck.

Any assistance would be very, very much appreciated!

When I use wireless tether on my 4g connection, I am consistently getting speeds of 0.1 Mb down and 0.8 Mb up... this is with numerous tests over several days with various versions of wireless tether and different roms (currently using stock). I have also tried wiping the cache in recovery between wireless tether installs with no luck. The connection on the phone itself when I'm on 4g is regularly between 4-8 Mb/s down and almost always exactly 1.0 Mb up. I am new to android and this was probably the biggest reason for me to get this phone. While I'm not expecting 4 Mb on a wirelessly tethered connection, I would think it should be much faster than 0.1! I don't know what info from my phone is needed to help, so I apologize if this is information overload:

Android 2.2
Baseband Version: 2.15.00.11.19
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.17-gee557fd htc-kernel@and18-2 #15
Software number: 3.70.651.1
PRI Version: 1.90_003

Wireless Tether: version 2.0.6 - I have tried other versions mentioned in other threads (pre9, pre11, etc.) that were supposed to work, but no luck.

Any assistance would be very, very much appreciated!

Give this a try also check out http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/249016-guide-internet-tethering-w-evo-4g-3g-wireless-wired.html. It's a great guide and will answer any questions you have about tethering.

*Wireless Tethering at 4G Speeds

I am including this section because generally people are unable to wireless tether at anything over 3G speeds by simply following the steps above. The following "fix" has not been confirmed to work for everybody, however, it is low risk and has worked for some (including myself).

Steps to possible "fix" using Root Explorer (my preferred method):

1) Following instructions above for how to get wireless tethering to work for 3G.
2) Open Root Explorer
3) Select "data"
4) Select "data" again
5) Select "android.tether"
6) Select "bin"
7) Long press the file "fixroute.sh" and either move or delete it. (if you prefer you can move it to the sd card or something)

Reactions: jaycoh22
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones