Tethering

Last Updated:

1. knucklez09

knucklez09 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just connected my rooted hero to a network and noticed it does work but gets hot fast and losses power faster than it can charge. I heard about usb (wired) tethering but havent been able to find any tutorials on it. Can someone tell me if usb tethering would make a difference in terms of heat and battery life, and if so explain how it works or where i can get it from? Thanks

Advertisement
  2. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

download and install PDAnet (installs on your computer).. that will let you do USB wired tethering..

3. knucklez09

knucklez09 Active Member This Topic's Starter

thanks. is it easier on battery life and heat?

4. mysticmead

not sure.. never use it.. I have WiFi at home for my laptop..

5. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Well-Known Member

I never used PDAnet to have Wired Tethering... If you're using a hero that isn't rooted, just go into Wireless Controls and enable Mobile Network Sharing. Plug it into USB first. It will give your PC wired internet... It was slow for me, but it was still good. I never needed PDAnet at all.

Didn't any of you know this? I randomly figured it out :p

6. mysticmead

never had any need for it..

7. neversatisfied

I never use tether at all. Not like it will matter anymore... Sprint is getting rid of it on all phones, which is kinda annoying... Watch, when I really need it, they won't have it anymore lol.

8. sprucebeach

sprucebeach Well-Known Member

I don't believe this is correct. If you check you'll find out that your PC's internet connection is only there when the phone's wi-fi is turned on. In other words, the phone can pass on to the computer an internet connection it gets via wi-fi but it can't pass on a connection it gets from Sprint. Turn your phone's wi-fi off and you'll find your PC's internet connection is gone.

Being able to share only the phone's wi-fi connection to the internet is of limited value. If you're on the road trying to get an internet connection to your laptop chances are your laptop has it's own wi-fi and you don't need to insert the phone into the process.

To share the phone's internet to a PC where there's not a wi-fi source available you have to either use the elaborate trial-and-error procedure described elsewhere in this forum or use PdaNet, which works every time and is free (except for https sites.)

9. thatjerk

thatjerk Well-Known Member

Sprint can get rid of it all they want. Root users will always have tethering : ) .

rrr likes this.
  10. neversatisfied

That was probably what was giving me net then. I don't believe I had my wifi off. Thanks for the heads up :D

Really? If that's so then hell yea!!! I wont have future problems lol

11. thatjerk

thatjerk Well-Known Member

Heck yah. Root then load the fresh Rom. You will have wireless tether. I have achieved dsl + speeds with this

12. neversatisfied

i think ill have to get PDAnet now lol. I have it already rooted. Might as well be prepared for when I need it :D

13. Syphon

Syphon Well-Known Member

I used PDAnet before I rooted and it was alright if you don't mind random drops here and there and after 30 days you can no longer goto secure (https) sites such as Gmail, your bank, etc unless you purchase it which is $29. I was going to purchase it but then I rooted and decide there was no need as my WiFi tethering is just so much better.

14. rrr

rrr Member

Down with Sprint and their tethering censorship!
    Thanks alot for wireless tether. I have used Fresh1.1 and Modaco 2.0 and both work fine for tethering.