• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text to Speech Engine for Notification Sounds

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I would like to set up custom notification sounds for the various apps (email, message, FB, etc.). I would prefer that instead of using the various cute sound effects that come with the phone, I want to have a voice that says, "new email" or "new message" instead of the various beeps and chimes. Ideally, I would like to use the text to speech engine that comes with the phone to do this like what the Navigation app.

How can I set up the notifications to activate the text to speech engine to say a certain phrase? If that is not possible, how can I activate the text to speech engine to say a phrase and then save the output to a sound file which I can then select as the notification for those various apps?

I found an app in the Android Market called TalkaDroid. It is an app that uses the text-to-speech engine to say the text you enter. You can then save the resulting speech to a ringtone file. Then, you can go to the settings of the app or general settings to select that ring tone as the notification sound.

What I did was create a ring tone that says, "you have received email" and select that for my email notification. I have one that says, "event notification" for the calendar. I have a few more as well for other apps. It works great and now I know what the various notifications are for because the notification sound actually says what it is for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones