• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The 510 vs model numbers

kryptonyt

Aug 3, 2011
It seemed time for a change. I was just about to change carriers but when I went in to pay my Boost monthly the kid behind the counter was excited to show me the 510 Desire

I saw that it was an HTC and he quickly ran the numbers by me but what probably sold me more than the price was the fact that I would now have a phone that is sold for the carrier I'm with; unlike the EVO.

In any event I decided to check in here with the group that knows the most about these things and saw that there is this Root possibility.:smokingsomb:

This wasn't what I was going to ask but the question is already open so I want to know:

1 Why might I want to root this new phone? I read about " bloatware " but compared to my EVO this HTC seems to be thin with Bloat. That said at home it drops calls when my Evo never dropped a call. Not sure that rooting will remedy that?

2 There's a little book that comes with the phone and it recommends going on line for answers not answered in the book.

2a I found a 510 manual in another forum There's a day or more worth of reading. I'm having problems with the phone not wanting to connect with my WIFI. My EVO has no problem connecting. I have to type in my "password" in the 510 manual it talks about: a " password " or " pass phrase " or WPA, it's not specific what it wants.
I'm thinking that if I go to Starbucks or some other place with a free WIFI i'll at least be able to see if it connects.

3 With the new rules about the legality of phones being unlocked are there any extremely noticeable advantages to the other model numbers of the HTC Desire that might make it worth while to look for a different model of the same phone instead of the 510?

4 Lastly my gmail account still works on the EVO by connecting to the wifi but of course the phone doesn't work. I do have a google voice account with my own phone number and the app seems to imply that I can use it while in a wifi area. But in the settings area it shows me my boost phone number and a very old phone number that I can't even remember how long it has been since I haven't used that number. But it doesn't show my google voice number. If I call the GV number I do not hear it ring but after leaving a message the message pops up on the EVO gmail and the EVO gvoice.
Is this one of those problems that you need to take to a google forum and hope that someone will know the answer to?

Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones