• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Official "What has been using your battery" thread

Battery's currently at ~50%.

Unplugged for 5 hrs, 13m, 52 sec.

Android system -27%
Cell standby - 19%
Phone idle - 14%
Wi-Fi - 13%
Voice calls - 9%
Display - 9%
Camera - 5%
Trapster - 2%
Music Visualization Wallpaper - 2%

The Trapster app DRINKS battery (it requires GPS to be enabled too, so that doesn't help either). That 2% of usage was from having it running for all of 30 seconds to report a speed trap.

The Wi-Fi uses a fair amount too. I always forget to turn it off, and I have it set up to connect automatically to both my work and home WiFi, so it probably spends more time on WiFi than it does on 3G.

Upvote 0
Display: 47%
Dialer: 22%
Call Standby: 10%
Wi-Fi: 9%
Phone idle: 8%
Android OS: 2%
akmd: 2%

Is that normal? I have a new Desire S (got it 3 days ago) It seems odd to have the display taking up so much battery compared to other people on this forum and for the OS to be using so little? - The percentage display has actually gone down since I got it with originally around 60-70% display!

I'm confused if this is a good or a bad thing? :/ As it's all relative... Another bit which confused me was how much my dialer was using. I haven't made any phone calls in almost 48 hours and before then I have only ever made 3 calls, each lasting less than 5 minutes. So what is going on there?

I'm new to all this....

Upvote 0
hey, although this is the forum for the HTC Incredible, i think i can answer your question, since i'm running a Z rom, which i think is close enough to what your S runs

my display on mine is the top too. it'll say like 67%, even if the screens only been on for like an hour total. i think sense 2.0 has a better scaling of battery usage than sense 1 did; the display probably would take up the most battery.

Upvote 0
I'll play too:

Off the charger around 11pm last night: 100%
Currently 5:39pm: 51% (18h, 46m, 39s since unplugged, restarted phone once, on purpose)

Android System: 69%
Display: 15%
Cell Standby: 11%
Android OS: 5%

I've played Angry Birds today, maybe for 15 minutes.
Haven't made any calls today.
Bluetooth, GPS, Wireless are all off. So is my Twitter sync and Gmail (I'm at work, can access gmail on my laptop)
Brightness is set relatively low and screen turns off at 1 minute.
ATK is running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones