• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
wait before you flash it! Push the super_patched.bin you just made to your PC as a backup and delete it off your phone to free up some space again. Also delete the whole /img subfolder so the script can start fresh. You might even want to disable backups in the options/config.ini file

Try generating another patched super image with size=50 or size=100
that should give you a little bit of extra free space to work with...

Then you can just pull the super_patched.bin to your PC and flash with fastboot
Motorola has fastboot support right?

Bash:
adb pull /data/local/tmp/sysrw_1.42/img/super_patched.bin
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash super super_patched.bin
size=50 or size=100 both give me Error 73. It only completes successfully and generates the bin file if I use size=0.

(Side note: I still have 2.3 GB free in internal storage after running size=0)

Upvote 0
size=50 or size=100 both give me Error 73. It only completes successfully and generates the bin file if I use size=0.

(Side note: I still have 2.3 GB free in internal storage after running size=0)
Now that's interesting. Does this mean that error 73 is in fact some weird size issue? :unsure:

Well then I guess just flash it :D(y)
What can go wrong. But first make a backup of all your important data ;)

To see if it worked you can do
Bash:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /

Also since you did shrink-2-minimum you will have to delete useless system apps to free up some space. That's always tricky. I recommend first disabling the bloatware and then rebooting a couple of times to see if the app in question is safe to permanently delete.

Good luck! :D(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Now that's interesting. Does this mean that error 73 is in fact some weird size issue? :unsure:

Well then I guess just flash it :D(y)
What can go wrong. But first make a backup of all your important data ;)

To see if it worked you must do
Bash:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /

Also since you did shrink-2-minimum you will have to delete useless system apps to free up some space. That's always tricky. I recommend first disabling the bloatware and then rebooting a couple of times to see if the app in question is safe to permanently delete.

Good luck! :D(y)
size=15 worked. I kept trying lower numbers until I didn't get Error 73, lol. It is extremely strange, because I freed up even more space by uninstalling apps and have now almost 4GB left over even after creating the bin. So, one the one hand, the error is related to the allocated megabytes space of the command, but on the other hand, apparently not related to how much free space is available in the working environment. I hope this somehow helps you finally get to the bottom of this mysterious and long-standing Error 73, though.

Anyway, I think I won't flash at this time. I'm worried about having too small of a space buffer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure just flash whenever you feel like it.

You gave me some new clues regarding error 73 for which I am very thankful but it's still very mysterious. It's like a puzzle that needs to be solved.
It's a shame you kept getting that error 73 though. The auto-resize seems to have worked just fine for your device... And you only have those 3 sub-partitions anyway... System, product and vendor.

I'm still pretty sure the sysrw_repair script can do the job for you with the default auto-resize
You can try that too one day when you're bored. Takes a while to adb pull all those files to the Linux machine though...
And you might have to update the version number in the sysrw_repair script file itself. I haven't updated it in a while... I guess I just haven't seen too many real error 73's out there in the wild lately. Motorola was my first error 73 and will be my last error 73 ;) Next phone I buy must be Motorola then. Any recommendations? How are you enjoying that Motorola Moto G Power (2021)
Is there a 2023 version of it? (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure just flash whenever you feel like it.

You gave me some new clues regarding error 73 for which I am very thankful but it's still very mysterious. It's like a puzzle that needs to be solved.
It's a shame you kept getting that error 73 though. The auto-resize seems to have worked just fine for your device... And you only have those 3 sub-partitions anyway... System, product and vendor.

I'm still pretty sure the sysrw_repair script can do the job for you with the default auto-resize
You can try that too one day when you're bored. Takes a while to adb pull all those files to the Linux machine though...
And you might have to update the version number in the sysrw_repair script file itself. I haven't updated it in a while... I guess I just haven't seen too many real error 73's out there in the wild lately. Motorola was my first error 73 and will be my last error 73 ;) Next phone I buy must be Motorola then. Any recommendations? How are you enjoying that Motorola Moto G Power (2021)
Is there a 2023 version of it? (y)
I have 3 Moto G Power 2021's. They are great, inexpensive phones. About the Moto G Power 2022 I have heard nothing but bad things. The 2023 version is called 'Motorola Moto G Power 5G' but unfortunately I don't know much about it.

I am currrently running the sysrw_repair script from an Ubuntu server I have. I'll report the results in a few minutes!

Upvote 0
I have 3 Moto G Power 2021's. They are great, inexpensive phones. About the Moto G Power 2022 I have heard nothing but bad things. The 2023 version is called 'Motorola Moto G Power 5G' but unfortunately I don't know much about it.

I am currrently running the sysrw_repair script from an Ubuntu server I have. I'll report the results in a few minutes!
Success! The sysrw_repair script worked great. I only had to rename my phone's sysrw_1.42 folder to sysrw_1.4, and also change those folder names in lpmake_args.txt, because the script is not forwards-compatible.

Upvote 0
That's wonderful news! Thanks for your feedback (y)
Did you flash it yet? No bootloops? And everything is RW capable as expected? I never tested it on Motorola myself...

Yeah the version number is hard coded into the System-RW repair script. Just update the version number in the sysrw_repair.sh file with notepad to the latest version and save file. That should work too.
version="1.42"

Why do you get this error? Do you not have a boot partition? Maybe it's under /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot ?
/dev/block/by-name/boot: No such file or directory

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's wonderful news! Thanks for your feedback (y)
Did you flash it yet? No bootloops? And everything is RW capable as expected? I never tested it on Motorola myself...

Yeah the version number is hard coded into the System-RW repair script. Just update the version number in the sysrw_repair.sh file with notepad to the latest version and save file. That should work too.

Why do you get this error? Do you not have a boot partition? Maybe it's under /dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot ?
I never noticed that error until you point it out right now. That's a great question. I have no idea why it's there.

Yes, I flashed.. well I should say, your sysrw_repair flashed the phone at the end of the process. And it went fine. It rebooted and I am now RW capable. Thank you for all of your generous assistance!

Upvote 0
Hello @bigern777 can you please check if this path exists on your phone? Thanks! (y)
Bash:
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot
Congratulations! Enjoy customizing and debloating your read/write-able device :love:(y)
You are welcome (y)
If you like my hard work please consider donating $1+ thank you (y)

Hi @kearmau5
Last time I checked /product was RW in MIUI14 too...
Please attach your System-RW log files here. Thanks! (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello @bigern777 can you please check if this path exists on your phone? Thanks! (y)
Bash:
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot
Congratulations! Enjoy customizing and debloating your read/write-able device :love:(y)
You are welcome (y)
If you like my hard work please consider donating $1+ thank you (y)

Hi @kearmau5
Last time I checked /product was RW in MIUI14 too...
Please attach your System-RW log files here. Thanks! (y)
Just donated!

'boot is not at that path, but boot_a and boot_b are. Does that help?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Xiaomi.eu ROM - MIUI14 Android 13
Your apk installed - Install - Super rw
I got errors, please see the attached logs, what is the problem?

************************************************************************************
Custom input detected: /data/local/tmp/sysrw_1.42/bin/../img/mi_ext_a.img
Custom size detected: 0
Custom growth factor detected: 300

makerw: Initiating MakeRW / ro2rw procedure...

makerw: Current size of mi_ext_a.img in bytes: 8192
makerw: Current size of mi_ext_a.img in 512-byte sectors: 16
makerw: Current size of mi_ext_a.img in MB: 0

makerw: EROFS file system detected @ mi_ext_a.img

[1;93mDump: [0m[0;33mfs_config|file_contexts[0m [1;92msaving...[0m
[1;93mDump: [0m[0;33mfs_config|files_context[0m [1;92mdone.[0m
loaded 31 fs_config entries
Creating filesystem with parameters:
Size: 24576
Block size: 4096
Blocks per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 16
Inode size: 256
Journal blocks: 0
Label: mi_ext
Blocks: 0
Block groups: 0
Reserved block group size: 7
makerw: Fatal make_ext4fs error!

sysrw: Fatal MakeRW / ro2rw error: 0

sysrw: Unpacking embedded sub-partition (mi_ext_a) from /dev/block/sda21
sysrw: Embedded sub-partition (mi_ext_a) was successfully extracted from /dev/block/sda21

Attachments

• lpdump.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 40
  • lpmake_args.txt
    183 bytes · Views: 41
  • sysrw_log.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello @bigern777 thank you very much for your precious donation :love: . My projects would not be possible without amazing people like YOU.

Hi @blackbile thanks for the log files (y).
I have not yet had the time to fully implement my Force-RW() procedure that's why you are seeing this error. To fix it simply add mi_ext_a to exclude value in /data/local/tmp/sysrw_1.42/options/config.ini

it should look like this:

exclude=" mi_ext_a mi_ext_b "

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Hello @bigern777 thank you very much for your precious donation :love: . My projects would not be possible without amazing people like YOU.

Hi @blackbile thanks for the log files (y).
I have not yet had the time to fully implement my Force-RW() procedure that's why you are seeing this error. To fix it simply add mi_ext_a to exclude value in /data/local/tmp/sysrw_1.42/options/config.ini

it should look like this:

Good luck!
Thank you! Yes, it did it with exclude...

What next?
I see two patched file: super_patched.bin and boot_patched.img

How could I avoid bootloop or any other issue with the new super_patched.bin? Which has bigger size than the original...

PS: are you Hungarian?

Upvote 0
Next step would be to upload again here the sysrw_log.txt after a successful attempt. Thanks (y)
The log should tell you everything that happens under the hood...
Did you spot any errors in the new log?

More next steps :

Bash:
# Connect phone to computer with USB cable and run:
adb pull /data/local/tmp/sysrw_1.42/img/super_patched.bin

# reboot phone to fastboot mode :
adb reboot bootloader

# Flash the new patched super image to your device:
fastboot flash super super_patched.bin

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi thanks for the updated log. I checked it and it looks good to me. I couldn't spot any errors.
This is stock MIUI firmware? What version ?
The most recent version I've tested with is 14.0.2 I believe and no issues (except the mi_ext_a issue which should be an easy fix).

Well to get out of bootloop simply flash back your original stock super image (super_original.bin)
You might also want to flash back your stock boot.img as the script automatically flashed a patched one. Maybe that messed something up?

I'm not exactly sure why you are getting a bootloop in this case. According to your log your DM-verity and verification were disabled successfully...

Another option would be to format /data but I don't recommend it if you haven't taken a backup of your personal data prior to that.

I'm still enjoying my summer vacation right now but once I get back to the computer I'll try with the latest MIUI firmware that I can get my hands on...

I wonder if Xiaomi added any new protection features in their latest firmwares :unsure: but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh no bootloops are never good. And they are very difficult to debug properly...
Great! I'm happy you were able to get out of that bootloop without data loss. In MIUI you can just run the included flash_all_except_storage.sh script file in such a scenario.
From here I cannot tell you what exactly is causing these bootloops on your device.
The log looks perfect so in theory it should work... :unsure:
Maybe it has to do with the Xiaomi.eu custom firmware? Try with stock MIUI next time ;)
I will try with MIUI 14.0.8 soon... after my well deserved summer vacation that is :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My dm-verity is still enabled and it's been a gigantic mission to try and disable it and nothing has worked to disable that despite trying for multiple days. Just tells me that it's a user build. Had to go through MSM just to try and get the bootloader unlocked.

Using android 11.

Edit: Managed to figure out how to disable verity. Working now on figuring out how to disable forced encryption and then I'll be ready to run the script again.
Were you able to disable forced encryption? How did you do it? How did you disable verity?

Upvote 0
Were you able to disable forced encryption? How did you do it? How did you disable verity?
Hi. You don't need to disable force encryption for my System-RW script to work on your device. Actually disable force encryption or DFE has absolutely nothing to do with having System-RW access to your device (or Full-RW for that matter).

When I try to install the jackpal apk It tells me that it is a virus .`a.grey.generic.h`
What does this mean?
Launching my System-RW script through the external Jackpal Terminal Emulator app was only a temporary solution in this version of the ROM-Maker since this was my very first Android app that I ever made. I will try to do all the magic inside the ROM-Maker app next time ;)
If you have any doubts you can always download & install the Jackpal Terminal Emulator app from the official Play Store. As long as the package names match it should be no problem.
Or you can simply run my official System-RW script manually trough the ADB shell according to the included instructions. If you've got any questions just ask!
Good luck! ;)(y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi. You don't need to disable force encryption for my System-RW script to work on your device. Actually disable force encryption or DFE has absolutely nothing to do with having System-RW access to your device (or Full-RW for that matter).
Actually, one of the reasons I'm looking for RW is to be able to disable encryption.

Launching my System-RW script through the external Jackpal Terminal Emulator app was only a temporary solution in this version of the ROM-Maker since this was my very first Android app that I ever made. I will try to do all the magic inside the ROM-Maker app next time ;)
If you have any doubts you can always download & install the Jackpal Terminal Emulator app from the official Play Store. As long as the package names match it should be no problem.
Or you can simply run my official System-RW script manually trough the ADB shell according to the included instructions. If you've got any questions just ask!
Good luck! ;)(y)
If your looking for a terminal you may want to look at Termux. On terminal Emulator I get a message that it is made for older Android (it still works).

Now I ran the SystemRW and it was a success, but after installing the patched super image (and changing the fstab file to be able to disable encryption) I now can't access the Developer options. When I select Developer options it just takes me back to the first settings screen. I now can't select USB debugging and can't access my device with adb.
Why would this happen with updating the super image? Can you think of anything I can do to correct this?

Edit
Confirmed that even without changing anything in the partitions I still lose the Developer options. I also lose the adb connection and since I can't get into Developer options I can't reinstate USB Debugging.

Attachments

• log.zip
    5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: lebigmac
Upvote 0
Hi thanks for your feedback!
I haven't received much feedback from Lenovo users to this date.
I am happy that my System-RW script worked as expected on your device :D(y)
It probably works because your super partition layout is similar to Oneplus devices with all those useless COW (copy on write) sub-partitions...
Took me a while to get it to work on Oneplus lol. :ROFLMAO:
Actually, one of the reasons I'm looking for RW is to be able to disable encryption.
Are you saying that you are only modifying the fstab inside /vendor partition? Is the one in /vendor the real fstab as opposed to the fake one? And does it even matter which one is modified? :ROFLMAO:
I thought nowadays Android developers are hiding the real fstab inside vendor_boot.img as opposed to boot.img :ROFLMAO:
Was that you Top John Wu? :unsure:

If your looking for a terminal you may want to look at Termux.
Thanks for the suggestion. (y)

Yeah sorry about that broken ADB shell. This most likely happens because the ADB ROOT feature is still quite experimental and is not guaranteed to work on ALL devices out there yet. I'm still working on making it more universal... Easier said than done.
I've only tested it to perfection on all my Xiaomi devices and Samsung S23 Ultra. It should work on Samsung S23, S22, S22 Ultra too.
Your only option right now is to disable the whole ADB ROOT procedure by modding the /data/local/tmp/sysrw_1.42/bin/superw file with your favorite text editor app and commenting out line # 355 as well as line # 492, then save file and finally generate another super.img and flash to your device.

NOTE: you might have to restore your stock boot.img too! Or the Magisk patched one. ;)

Good luck and let us know your results. :D(y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones