• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The one thing that's making me hesitant on picking this phone up...

sw33ndawg

Feb 8, 2011
The network. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with AT&T. I've been using the carrier for about two years now and have had no problems. The thing that worries me is locking myself into non-LTE for 2 years. I live smack in the middle of Philly and NYC so I'm fairly sure LTE will be available in my area within the year.. so I'd be stuck on a non-LTE phone for a year, and that would kill me. This is the main reason I'm leaning towards switching to Verizon and getting the Thunderbolt. Anyone else feel the same?

Reactions: ECdOc
The network. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with AT&T. I've been using the carrier for about two years now and have had no problems. The thing that worries me is locking myself into non-LTE for 2 years. I live smack in the middle of Philly and NYC so I'm fairly sure LTE will be available in my area within the year.. so I'd be stuck on a non-LTE phone for a year, and that would kill me. This is the main reason I'm leaning towards switching to Verizon and getting the Thunderbolt. Anyone else feel the same?
Don't get it then lol

Reactions: ap3604
Upvote 0

Actually LTE is already avail in those 2 markets with Verizon they are just waiting on a phone to use it.

Upvote 0
My sentiments exactly. I just dont want to pay the rumored LTE premium monthly costs.

For mobile broadband Verizon is charging the same price as they did for 3G. And right now that is the offical thing we have for pricing right now and using it they will not charge more for LTE.

As to ATT and LTE they will not even start deploying it until second half of the year.

Upvote 0
If its just the network (and not the locked bootloader) that's your problem with the Atrix, the Bionic on Verizon may be the better option (if your patient)

Another option that's not getting a lot of attention is best buys buyback program...getting half of the RETAIL value back makes buying the phone outright (or signing a new contract) not as ridiculous...

Upvote 0
I actually feel the same way. The fact that I can switch to verizon and get grandfathered into unlimited LTE for $29.99/mo is tempting. I'm sick of not being to make calls at sporting events, downtown, in large buildings , etc. :(

Oh, switching to Verizon would also save me $10/mo.

The best phone vs. the best network... tough.

Upvote 0
I actually feel the same way. The fact that I can switch to verizon and get grandfathered into unlimited LTE for $29.99/mo is tempting. I'm sick of not being to make calls at sporting events, downtown, in large buildings , etc. :(

Oh, switching to Verizon would also save me $10/mo.

The best phone vs. the best network... tough.

pick the network dude. If verizon works better for you go for it! no one is going to bash on you. I think the thunderbolt is sexy as hell, and im an AT&T employee. Im going to be buying my dad the thunderbolt when it comes out.

Reactions: skinien
Upvote 0
If its just the network (and not the locked bootloader) that's your problem with the Atrix, the Bionic on Verizon may be the better option (if your patient)

Another option that's not getting a lot of attention is best buys buyback program...getting half of the RETAIL value back makes buying the phone outright (or signing a new contract) not as ridiculous...

If I buy this phone for the upgrade price ($199) and get the buy back program do they pay half of the retail when I trade it in?

Upvote 0
Just spoke to ATT. They DO NOT offer 1 year contracts :(. Looks like ill be going the thunderbolt route.

Yep ATT killed those. Verizon is the last of the majors left that I think offers them.

Damn...after the Droid X and then the Galaxy S line came out, and hanging out in all the rumor threads last year I decided I was going 1 year only from now on..

I think Sprint you have to go in store for 1 year plans. AT&T might be off my list. They do have better service than Verizon where I live so far. Hoping LTE changes that. But I'm not trying to be locked in for 2 years anymore!!!

Why cant the carriers just make it easier for us instead of harder to choose who to go to?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones