• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Photon 4G Pre-Order Info Thread

Shipping said 2-5 business days when I ordered... it better be here tomorrow.

A quick question though, earlier in the thread l1fe posted this link that says customers with contracts ending or that just ended could get that $50 credit. Mine just ended, but that wasn't applied to my account when I bought the phone online. Is there some way to get the $50 credit by calling them up or going to a Sprint store?

Upvote 0
As mentioned in the other thread, some if not all will not have their shipping info changed and will in fact get their device as promised. For some reason, Sprint updates in terms of tracking/shipping isn't always on track. But the does get to you the next day. Providing you made the cut off time point.

TS

Reactions: BanterandRant
Upvote 0
This is true, I am still debating whether to do it with Wirefly or Sprint Premier. Getting up at my usual time and doing the purchase at 7AM EST (6Am CST) isn't so bad. Do i want to spend more money and do it with Sprint and get it overnight or stay with the savings and do it with Wirefly.
Also does doing it with Sprint allow you to get it billed to your account or does one have to have a credit card in hand. i know with Wirefly credit card is the only option.

Well I still have a few hours to decide.

TS

If you have a bank of America credit or check card, it is $129 through the additup program for wirefly...

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
If you have a bank of America credit or check card, it is $129 through the additup program for wirefly...
Really, woops lol my sister is going to be nice and mad. She just ordered the phone last night and that deal would have been really good for her. Oh well, I think I won't say a word. lol

TS

Upvote 0
No pre-order available at Best Buy, but more confirmation that they'll have it (for those of you that didn't go with the Sprint Premier upgrade). The "quantities will vary" part, I'm not too worried about, considering I live in L.A. and I have 4-5 Best Buy's within close distance to one another. But again, for those of you that plan to follow my route and have different locations accessible to you, go to 1 location and if they don't have it, ask them to check inventory at other stores and have the phone reserved, so that you don't make a blind trip (FYI - Getting BB Customer support to answer the phones nowadays is a crazy long wait).

BBY - Re: Motorola Photon 4G - Will it be available at B... - Best Buy: Unboxed

Upvote 0
Since it seemed no one here really had much experience with Wirefly, I thought I would share my experiences as they happen.

I place my order about a week ago. The status on my tracking until last night said that it was "awaiting inventory". I was assuming that they would process my order on MONDAY and ship it TUESDAY at best.

Well actually it turns out that I got confirmation and tracking info TODAY.

So it's actually on the way to me now, and I should receive on Monday!!! :)

So far so good, I'll let you all know how the activation goes. if anyone cares.

MV

Upvote 0
I care. :D The more info we have on any possible retailer and the process of them ordering and shipping out any Sprint device is good to keep a historical record of. This way next year ( or any time a new device comes out) we can reference the time-frame and ordering/activation process from this retailer.

Thanks and keep us posted.

TS out

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I called Sprint to see if they would price match Walmart's $179.99 (ref. here) or even apply the Sprint ACE credit (ref. here) and met resistance at first. I tried to raise the issue a bit, and the rep eventually came back with a $100 credit off my monthly bill. Definitely a YMMV situation, but just thought I'd chime in with a successful wrangling.

Upvote 0
Since it seemed no one here really had much experience with Wirefly, I thought I would share my experiences as they happen.

I place my order about a week ago. The status on my tracking until last night said that it was "awaiting inventory". I was assuming that they would process my order on MONDAY and ship it TUESDAY at best.

Well actually it turns out that I got confirmation and tracking info TODAY.

So it's actually on the way to me now, and I should receive on Monday!!! :)

So far so good, I'll let you all know how the activation goes. if anyone cares.

MV

I care. :D The more info we have on any possible retailer and the process of them ordering and shipping out any Sprint device is good to keep a historical record of. This way next year ( or any time a new device comes out) we can reference the time-frame and ordering/activation process from this retailer.

Thanks and keep us posted.

TS out

I care too and concur with TS' thoughts about historical reference. If anybody that pre-ordered from Amazon, Wirefly, etc. (online retailers) actually receive their phone on a release day that's a weekend, that's important to know for future purchases, especially due to their being much less expensive (and no tax for some).

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
Hey Guys -

Just thought I would update you. I received my Photon on Tuesday. I believe I actually would have received on Monday, but looked like FedEx had a delay at the airport.

Anyway, the overall transit time was great, they were moving it on Saturday and Sunday.

Activation was directly through Sprint, so no problems there. Overall I am very happy to have saved 60.00 and still get the phone almost immediately after launch.

Wirefly sent me email updates regularly on their progress, and a tracking number almost immediately on ship out.

So far, I'm rating Wirefly an A+ vendor to buy a cell phone. I ALMOST picked up a NExus S for my wife for 49.99 BUT SO GLAD I WAITED as I just got it FREE at BB yesterday.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys -

Just thought I would update you. I received my Photon on Tuesday. I believe I actually would have received on Monday, but looked like FedEx had a delay at the airport.

Anyway, the overall transit time was great, they were moving it on Saturday and Sunday.

Activation was directly through Sprint, so no problems there. Overall I am very happy to have saved 60.00 and still get the phone almost immediately after launch.

Wirefly sent me email updates regularly on their progress, and a tracking number almost immediately on ship out.

So far, I'm rating Wirefly an A+ vendor to buy a cell phone. I ALMOST picked up a NExus S for my wife for 49.99 BUT SO GLAD I WAITED as I just got it FREE at BB yesterday.

That's great news. Wirefly has a discount offering through our corporate discounts, but was always hesitant because I'd never purchased through them. Were you charged tax through Wirefly? If not, they might be my next choice when I upgrade. Only drawback is not getting it on the actual release day, which is fine with me.

Upvote 0
That's great news. Wirefly has a discount offering through our corporate discounts, but was always hesitant because I'd never purchased through them. Were you charged tax through Wirefly? If not, they might be my next choice when I upgrade. Only drawback is not getting it on the actual release day, which is fine with me.

No tax through wirefly for CA
2 day shipping was $8 I think
Activation was through Wirefly (called into their 1-8xx number) and took about 5min.

-$179 for Photon @ wirefly
+$200 for EVO 4g
+ $50 Bank of America Additup
+ $70 Loyalty credit
---------
+$141 profit :D

Upvote 0
No tax through wirefly for CA
2 day shipping was $8 I think
Activation was through Wirefly (called into their 1-8xx number) and took about 5min.

-$179 for Photon @ wirefly
+$200 for EVO 4g
+ $50 Bank of America Additup
+ $70 Loyalty credit
---------
+$141 profit :D

Nice! You came out ahead. That's always good. Only reason I stuck with my guns on the Best Buy purchase (this time) was because I got gift cards from my credit card rewards that almost paid for the entire MoPho, which meant I also took advantage of the great deal they were having on the Flyer (extra 1000 bonus points coupon + Free HTC Scribe). In the end, I ended up paying for the Flyer & Scribe for a little less than full price and getting the Photon for free!

But, considering how inexpensive wirefly's deal was (especially due to no tax), I may consider them for my next upgrade (whenever that is).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones