• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The Ultimate Guide: S-Off, Recovery, Root, & Jelly Bean

Okay I found it and it said that I lack an unsecured kernel and it isn't rooted, isn't that what this is supposed to do? I've unlocked the bootloader, and not sure where to go from here.

If you're bootloader is unlocked already. Root is simple.
It's actually really simple :)

You just need to install the twrp recovery found in this thread:
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=845477

Using fastboot with the command

Code:
fastboot flash recovery {name-of-recovery.img}

Where "{name-of-recovery.img}" is the name of the recovery file you downloaded

Once it's installed, simply boot into recovery and make a backup ( it's always good to have an untouched backup of your device ;) )

Once the backup completes, select reboot system and you should receive a prompt stating that you are not rooted and It will ask if you would like to install superuser. Select yes and that's it. You have root. :)

Edit - i definitely should have asked. Which variant do you have? That recovery is for the boost mobile version

Reactions: higureryu
Upvote 0
Okay installed, then did the command it took 2.174 sec. booted into recovery on the hboot menu, and it's stuck in entering recovery.....

>.> Just shy of giving up.

You're the second user to report this behavior of getting stuck trying to boot into recovery. I'm not sure what would be causing this. (i didn't build the recovery) but it works fine on my end. :dontknow:
Perhaps the last update changed something that was needed to correctly boot this recovery

Upvote 0
You're the second user to report this behavior of getting stuck trying to boot into recovery. I'm not sure what would be causing this. (i didn't build the recovery) but it works fine on my end. :dontknow:
Perhaps the last update changed something that was needed to correctly boot this recovery

So I just have to give up then? Or take it to a shop to get it rooted? And I do have the boost mobile variant of the phone. Or is there a way to wipe it clean and start over from scratch?

Upvote 0
So I just have to give up then? Or take it to a shop to get it rooted? And I do have the boost mobile variant of the phone. Or is there a way to wipe it clean and start over from scratch?

You can start over from scratch by using the ruu for our model. I'm not sure it will make a difference, but your more than welcome to try again after

Edit- a link might help :D
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=873452

Also, you will have to relock the bootloader for the ruu to be successful. It can be unlocked again after :)

Upvote 0
You can start over from scratch by using the ruu for our model. I'm not sure it will make a difference, but your more than welcome to try again after

Okay so upon further digging through the CWM thread, apparently CWM does NOT work with android 4.2.2 and HBOOT version 2.2. I had to go grab TWERP instead which works beautifully. So that may need to be something that goes into the guide at some point.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones