• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [THEME] Red-n-Black theme for Megatron 6.0.0 through 6.1.1

Making myself work on my birthday, geez...Who do I think I am, acting like such a slave-driver?!? :p

SystemUI is nearly complete, just gotta theme/make the quickpanel buttons and signal status and bars (2g, 3g, roaming, etc). According to KDiff (a file comparison program), that's 168 files left to add, but I'm pretty sure I can just copy over a good chunk of them from the previous rev of the theme, plus it's still a relatively small number when compared to the 200-ish I created just for the battery alone.

Everything else has been edited or copied over, as need be (no point in re-inventing the wheel, right? ;)), including xmls and all the other necessary files. From the sound of the posts above, the option 2 battery was the most preferred choice, so I went ahead and made a complete set of it. I think the charging icons were the most time consuming, mostly because of the bass-ackwards way the latest flavor of GIMP wants you to save photos, but also because I had a little bit of a hard time drawing a lightning bolt the way I wanted. However, it was well worth the effort, in my opinion :D:

stat_sys_battery_charge_anim0.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim10.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim20.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim30.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim40.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim50.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim60.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim70.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim80.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim90.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_anim100.png
stat_sys_battery_charge_animfull.png

Hard to believe I'm just a stone's throw away from completing the SystemUI, but the framework-res is the scary one, since it has waaaay more files. Hopefully though, most of those will just be a matter of copying and pasting, or editing just one or two small things, if any editing needs to be done at all.

Also, I think I'm going to go with version 3.0 instead of 2.4, because with all the manual editing, the one or two extras I'll be adding, and the compatibility with other ROMs as well as MegaTron, this is more of a major overhaul than just a patch upgrade.

Anyhow, I'm gonna stop myself there before I babble on any further and make a book out of what was only supposed to be a page. :rolleyes: Plus with me sitting at about the 24-hr mark on how long I've been up, it won't take long before my sentences start making less sense (if they're not there already :D).

Upvote 0
SystemUI is finished and zipped back up into an APK, and I'd say I'm at least halfway done on the framework-res. There's less than 100 images left to edit, and a few small xml edits here and there, then I'll be able to button that one up, as well.

As for the theme itself, I'm planning on theming the Contacts and Phone APKs so I can get the dialer to match everything else, as well, but that'll be image edits only, and both of those APKs are small in comparison to the SystemUI (which itself is small in comparison to the framework-res). I'm hoping I'll be able to get everything done before the weekend's out, but either way, it looks like the theme will be getting released within a week from now at the latest. :D

Reactions: vmed
Upvote 0
Hey xaelith is theme ready for MT 6.1.1 and if not any idea of the date, just askin

ETA is some time between "soon" and by the end of the weekend, depending on how many more technical difficulties I run into, and whether or not I find a way to overcome the one(s) I'm currently facing (otherwise, I would have released it this morning :eek:).

EDIT: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
Version 3.0 is now available on the first post. :D

A few things that delayed me:
- Phone.apk didn't want to re-compile for some reason, so I had to adb pull a known good apk and add the changes to it.
- CWM didn't want to play nice with the original zip file. After many headaches, many tests, more headaches, minor tweaks to the updater-script, more headaches and major tweaks to everything in the META-INF folder (did I mention the headaches?), I finally got it to behave. :p
- Manual theming, 'nuff said. Oh, it's not? Well, due to unforeseen incompatibility issues with UOT, some of the items that would usually be handled by the kitchen (such as the proper xml color edits) had to be done by hand. Add to that the desire to personalize the theme more by hand-crafting some of the elements (like the battery and wifi icons), and the hours required to complete the task skyrocket.

Now, the bits of candy:
- LOTS more red throughout the entire theme. Most text and icons (with few exceptions) should now be red (or other related colors) where only a few items were before.
- New lockscreen tweaks, including: Clock (font) now matches the font used everywhere else within the theme, lockscreen arrows are back in a sweet new pattern ;)
- Dialer buttons now stay the same whether making a call, or in one
- Some icons are multi-colored :D
- More Megatron eyes :smokingsomb: (in the notification dropdown)
- And more I'm probably forgetting about...:rolleyes:

There are a few gripes that I may or may not go back and fix at some later date, but all-in-all, I'm very pleased with the way this update turned out.

Anyway, I'll quit boring you now with random trivia. GO DOWNLOAD THE NEW THEME ALREADY!!! :p
If you want to, that is.

Upvote 0
mav do you still own a ultra

Sorry, didn't catch your post till now...

Of course I still own my ultra. Haven't been doing any developing on it for quite a while though.
I've been developing in the tablet world lately on xda. Mostly on my Samsung galaxy tab 2 7"
Just compiled Carbon (Aokp 4.2.2) a few days ago. Really just learning how to compile from source and get a no bug result. I am learning all this because I would like to compile aokp jellybean for the TU. Then we can get cm10

Upvote 0
Sorry, didn't catch your post till now...

Of course I still own my ultra. Haven't been doing any developing on it for quite a while though.
I've been developing in the tablet world lately on xda. Mostly on my Samsung galaxy tab 2 7"
Just compiled Carbon (Aokp 4.2.2) a few days ago. Really just learning how to compile from source and get a no bug result. I am learning all this because I would like to compile aokp jellybean for the TU. Then we can get cm10

that would be amazing man i wish you good luck i would love to see jelly bean on this phone

Upvote 0
Ok, so I don't want to go into too much detail, because I don't wanna ruin the surprise, but I'm making a few minor tweaks to the theme, and want folks to vote on which picture they would rather have in the theme.

First, is this one, where the whole image is semi-transparent:
status_bar_background.png

Then, there's this one, where only the black is see-through:
status_bar_background-solideyes.png

Personally, I like the solid eyes (second) one better - the eyes kind of stand out and look more sinister, in my opinion. But anyway, lemme know what you guys think, and which pic you prefer. :D

Oh, and one last thing...please let me know ASAP (preferably today @ 5pm MDT, latest)! I hope to have the update out within 24 hours of the voting cut-off. Cheers :)

Upvote 0
xaelith im not a red fan for say but nice theme as far as selection definitely 2nd one more sharp of a contrast

Funny story...usually, I'm not a big fan of red, myself. I mean I don't hate it or anything, but blue is usually my color of choice. But when MegaTron came out and I decided to try my hand at theming, red was the one color that didn't seem to have a whole lot of representation in any of the official themes. When I made the first version of the theme and applied it to my phone, I was instantly hooked. And now here we are today. :p :D With each iteration of the theme, I try to find a way to bring more red into it. :rolleyes:

I don't know if anyone noticed, but when I released the last version, I dropped the "Simple" out of the name (the theme's not so simple any more is it? :p).

Upvote 0
New version available in the first post!

Just fixing a few gripes I had with the previous release, such as:

• Battery text was too damn small and just about impossible to read, so I fixed it by changing the battery icon orientation. :D
  • Since I was goofing around with the battery, I decided to go ahead and manually create a new charging animation while I was at it. :p Battery percentage level always progresses left and right, while charging progress goes up and down. ;)
  • Carrier text in the notification drop-down now matches the rest of the theme (Thanks, Chev! :smokingsomb:). Not sure why, but it REALLY bugged me that it was ICS blue. :rolleyes:
  • Notification background is semi-transparent again! :D If you missed the voting, I apologize, but I think you'll like the way it turned out. :) (now if only I could find a way to get rid of the second pair of eyes...)
  • Notification menu header and pull-bar have changed. Didn't like that the "Simple Red-n-Black" text in the header made it difficult to nearly impossible to locate the "Settings" and "Clear all" buttons.
Anyway, hope you all enjoy the new changes! :D I'ma get to bed at a decent time for once :eek:

Reactions: skiptharippa
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones