• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking about buying atrix - please read

satkins

Lurker
Sep 17, 2010
If anyone could give me some advice that would be so great. I understand that posting in the atrix board is going to give me some one sided opinions, but I would love any advice I can get.

My entire family is iPhone addicts. Anything that's not an iPhone is total crap to them. So when I asked for the samsung captivate for Christmas, my mom was not at all okay with it. However, she bought me what I wanted
When I got my captivate, my battery was Terrible. It would take a good 3 hours to fully charge and when I would take it off the charger, it would automatically go to 80% and be down to 60% in just 30 minutes. So, after many "I told you sos" my mom took me back to att and made me trade for an iPhone 4.

I am just not an iPhone person. It's boring. I loved android but hated the captivates battery. Now that I work, I have a lot of extra money under my belt. I for sure want to buy an android, but I have a few questions. I am highly considering the atrix.

1. Is the atrix worth purchasing for the full $450 price? I do not want to order it online because I want to be able to take it back if I have any problems.
2. This might be a dumb one--Is there any difference in the iPhones data plan than the atrix (or other smart phone)? I understand they are the same price but I didn't know if the iPhone had a specific one
3. I feel like I should wait for the iPhone iOS5 to come out before I make any quick decisions..should I wait and see if I like the ios5?
4. Is the samsung g2 worth waiting for? I was highly considering the sg2 but every other review i read about it was pretty bad. And I prefer motoblur over touch wiz

I don't mind not being able to load 3rd party apps for now, that doesn't bother me at all. I also dont mind charging the phone every night. I love the size of the atrix and everything people have said about it (especially the battery!)

I would really like to hear from anyone who has used the atrix for a while. I would also love to hear about what you love/hate about it or whether or not you think it's future proof. I just want to know more about it before I pay $450. I am sorry if this was unnecessarily long but any help would be great. Thanks!!

yeah, you got a bad craptivate. Even the good ones were an embarrassment because of the broken GPS. The excuses people came up for that one were epic. almost worth the hassle I had for 30days. My atrix experience has been *completely* different, and I came from an IP4.

1. yes. purchase from the ATT store. you will get the best price (true at the time of my purchase in April anyway), and you will be able to return it for any glaring sample defects. You can sell your IP4 for quite a wad of cash. I got $530 for mine, you can probably do better. just stay off ebay.

2. I believe they are different in name only. The iphone plan may allow for that secret 'data sent to apple' thing that's been rumored about so much. One thing I noticed was that not only did ATT over-bill for data (consistently 50% more than my iphone would report), but it was near impossible to keep my usage (very light) under 200MB per month. Now that I'm on the atrix, ATT still over-bills, but my usage is barely 100MB per month with the *exact* same usage. classic.

3. the iOS5 feature-set is available for your examination now. It might be worth it to some (notifications stand out for me), but definitely not for me. Despite an increased level of system maintenance and vigilance on my part, I still spend less time trying to get my Atrix to do what I want than I did on my iphone (even jail-broken). and I spend *NO* time lamenting the fact that some things simply cannot be done.

4. Go to the ATT store and spend *alot* of time playing with phones. Spend time with the Atrix and completely forget about blur's home launcher, it's easily replaceable with something worthwhile like launcher plus or ADW. the home launcher should *never* be a deciding factor in an android phone. Take a look at the 4.5" samoled+ on the infuse (I think that's the one). all I saw were pixels. yuck, no thanks. the SGS2 is gonna be very similar to that. while pentile dampens the qHD goodness of the atrix screen a bit, it still beats samoled+ in my book, and really shines on the detail stuff I need like mixed colors and black/white text. the pentile ugliness rears its head mostly on primary colors (RGB) which is why it's apparent on only some GUI elements like the battery indicator.

the batter of the atrix is pretty good, but you will always have to be on the lookout for rogue apps that want to eat your battery for lunch, and a light user will not see any gain over the IP4; android just idles at a higher usage. heavy users seem to benefit most.

Reactions: satkins
Upvote 0
I truly cannot thank you more for your time. I'm going today after work to play around with the atrix. What keeps me away from samsung is how slow they are to update. You really answered all of my questions!

What things are you looking for in your next phone? The more specific you are, the more direct answers you will receive that will help you in making your decision.

Upvote 0
I have just made the transition from the captivate to atrix. I can't add any more that what has been said EXCEPT this advise I think I read here on these boards. Let the battery run down all the way...charge it up overnight if possible, then let it run completely down again. After this, I am quite pleased with the battery life now. I could let it go 2 days without a charge, but I usually don't.

Good luck with your new phone.

Upvote 0
Although I have never owned an android device for more than 1 month, I simply prefer the android platform over the iPhone. I want a phone that I love and that lasts me more than a year. I understand that all technology eventually becomes outdated--and I feel that in some cases, some android phones get outdated pretty fast. The reason the atrix caught my eye is because of the dual core processor, 4g (eventually) data speeds, and the fact that the atrix has already received multiple updates. I have only heard good things about motorolas customer service.

However, I still am not sure If this phone is worth spending close to $500. I could buy through someone other than att, but I'm worried something will be damaged with it. I really want the atrix. I spent a good 30 minutes in the att store playing around with it to see if I liked it. But is it worth spending $500? Should I buy it off of amazon for $375-$400 instead? I am just nervous buying the phone through someone else could mean that if there are any hardware problems, I couldn't simply exchange it for another one. I hope this is specific enough!

Upvote 0
Although I have never owned an android device for more than 1 month, I simply prefer the android platform over the iPhone. I want a phone that I love and that lasts me more than a year. I understand that all technology eventually becomes outdated--and I feel that in some cases, some android phones get outdated pretty fast. The reason the atrix caught my eye is because of the dual core processor, 4g (eventually) data speeds, and the fact that the atrix has already received multiple updates. I have only heard good things about motorolas customer service.

However, I still am not sure If this phone is worth spending close to $500. I could buy through someone other than att, but I'm worried something will be damaged with it. I really want the atrix. I spent a good 30 minutes in the att store playing around with it to see if I liked it. But is it worth spending $500? Should I buy it off of amazon for $375-$400 instead? I am just nervous buying the phone through someone else could mean that if there are any hardware problems, I couldn't simply exchange it for another one. I hope this is specific enough!

You can sell your IP4 for at least $300 to $400. Easily. Which means you would only end up spending an extra $100 for the Atrix. In my opinion thats well worth it.

Upvote 0
You can sell your IP4 for at least $300 to $400. Easily. Which means you would only end up spending an extra $100 for the Atrix. In my opinion thats well worth it.

This might be dumb, but I'm nervous to just sell my iPhone for some reason. I really want my atrix to last for 2 years, but what if it doesn't? I am sorry if this whole thing is ridiculous.

If I bought from anyone, it would definitely be amazon, by the way. I don't really like eBay.

Upvote 0
This might be dumb, but I'm nervous to just sell my iPhone for some reason. I really want my atrix to last for 2 years, but what if it doesn't? I am sorry if this whole thing is ridiculous.

If I bought from anyone, it would definitely be amazon, by the way. I don't really like eBay.

I just found something you might be interstead in on E-bay there is a battery EXTENDED BATTERY 3500mAh for the Atrix $11.95 (Free Shipping)

EXTENDED BATTERY 3500mAh BACK DOOR COVER MOTOROLA ATRIX | eBay

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Extended-3500mAh-Battery-Replacement/dp/B0051EF3WU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1309969830&sr=8-5

If you decide to buy the Atrix you can always get a warranty though AT&T it's $5 a month for a new phone with contract or non contract. they just added $5 more to your monthly bill to added it in case it's a hardware issue.

Ember not too Root your device that will voted your warranty.

Motorola is a good company they been around for a long time just a tip......

Upvote 0
I just found something you might be interstead in on E-bay there is a battery EXTENDED BATTERY 3500mAh for the Atrix $11.95 (Free Shipping)

EXTENDED BATTERY 3500mAh BACK DOOR COVER MOTOROLA ATRIX | eBay

Amazon.com: Motorola Atrix 4G MB860 Extended 3500mAh Li-Ion Battery + Battery Door Cover ~ Repair Parts Replacement: Electronics

If you decide to buy the Atrix you can always get a warranty though AT&T it's $5 a month for a new phone with contract or non contract. they just added $5 more to your monthly bill to added it in case it's a hardware issue.

Isn't the $5 for the insurance? I've never known of a warranty program for $5 a month.

Upvote 0

I didn't know you could add $5/month for something like that? Do you know more about this? That would be something I would definitely be interested in. As for the extra battery, I'm hoping that the atrix will be able to get me through a day without having to charge. thanks for the suggestion though :)

Upvote 0
I have two complaints with my Atrix.
- Battery life is worse than my Windows Mobile phone. Not unacceptably worse, but never lasts 2 days. (I'll try the idea mentioned above and, to be fair, I'm running more background apps).
- Sideloading is disabled. For this one I have read ATT is enabling the option as I write but mine is still disabled.
Overall, buy the Atrix. Nice divice.

Upvote 0
I didn't know you could add $5/month for something like that? Do you know more about this? That would be something I would definitely be interested in. As for the extra battery, I'm hoping that the atrix will be able to get me through a day without having to charge. thanks for the suggestion though :)

Sure I'll tell you as much information about adding $5 monthly plan to a new device.

Q. How long is the warranty? Is there a trial period?
A. Equipment purchased from the AT&T website can be exchanged one time or returned by mail or to a store location within 30 days of purchase (a restocking fee may apply for damaged devices or missing equipment). AT&T mobile devices have a limited 1 year warranty. Refurbished devices carry a ninety day warranty from the date of purchase. To make a warranty claim after the first 30 days from purchase, call 1-800-801-1101 or go to myWireless and select Exchange Your Phone. For more information on replacing a lost, stolen or broken phone, please see our Phone Support section.
Please note: Apple branded equipment, such as iPhone, is covered by Apple's one year Limited Warranty and may be subject to a restocking fee if opened and out of its original shrink wrapping. Exchanges must be made within 14 days. For more information on returns and exchanges, see our Return Policy.

just call the # above you to get all the information you need or goto a local ATT Store ask them about increase the Atrix warranty plan. they be willing to help you. just to let you know mate it's extra $5 on your monthly bill be added to your plan you can cancel it anytime as you wish. This warrinty covers hardware issue, battery issue etc... if your Atrix ever dies on you with in 2 years you can get a replacement plan instead of paying full retail price it will only be $120 - $150 I forgot the exact amount. thats what the ATT staff told me about it.

It would be best to go into a local ATT Store ask them about the Warranty.

Good Luck......

Upvote 0
2. I believe they are different in name only. The iphone plan may allow for that secret 'data sent to apple' thing that's been rumored about so much. One thing I noticed was that not only did ATT over-bill for data (consistently 50% more than my iphone would report), but it was near impossible to keep my usage (very light) under 200MB per month. Now that I'm on the atrix, ATT still over-bills, but my usage is barely 100MB per month with the *exact* same usage. classic.

From what I was told on the phone they are different only in name. Apple could easily have the iOS to send them data regardless of what AT&T does. I highly doubt AT&T does it when apple could easily do it themselves.

If you're a person that really wants control of your phone vs. ease of use and don't care that apps like facebook run in the background regardless of whether you start them or not, then go with the atrix, or any android phone.

About your battery, have you tried replacing it? This would be a lot cheaper than a new phone...you could simply have a faulty battery.

Upvote 0

if you replace your phone with the $5/month insurance there's a $125 deductible you have to pay. You're better off getting it fixed at a store or doing it yourself. My screen shattered, but it's just the digitizer and replacing that myself will take a couple hours time and $40 for the digitizer, tools, adhesive, and shipping. A store will probably charge $100 for the digitizer, and $40-50 for labor. $40 < 125 + 5/month. These company's warranties basically nullify them from ever having to replace your phone for free, so who cares if you void it.

Upvote 0
The plan being described is definitely the insurance program through Asurion. It is not an extended warranty. The mobile insurance plan covers not only theft, damage and liquid but it also replaces your phone if it simply doesn't work right anymore and your out of warranty. The price is $4.99 a month AND it has a $125 deductible.

However, this can only be added within 30 days of purchasing your device FROM at&t or an authorized dealer. I'm also pretty sure you have had to upgraded or a new line, I don't think it works if you just bought the phone outright, though I'm not exactly sure on that point.

Upvote 0
If anyone could give me some advice that would be so great. I understand that posting in the atrix board is going to give me some one sided opinions, but I would love any advice I can get.

My entire family is iPhone addicts. Anything that's not an iPhone is total crap to them. So when I asked for the samsung captivate for Christmas, my mom was not at all okay with it. However, she bought me what I wanted
When I got my captivate, my battery was Terrible. It would take a good 3 hours to fully charge and when I would take it off the charger, it would automatically go to 80% and be down to 60% in just 30 minutes. So, after many "I told you sos" my mom took me back to att and made me trade for an iPhone 4.

I am just not an iPhone person. It's boring. I loved android but hated the captivates battery. Now that I work, I have a lot of extra money under my belt. I for sure want to buy an android, but I have a few questions. I am highly considering the atrix.

1. Is the atrix worth purchasing for the full $450 price? I do not want to order it online because I want to be able to take it back if I have any problems.
2. This might be a dumb one--Is there any difference in the iPhones data plan than the atrix (or other smart phone)? I understand they are the same price but I didn't know if the iPhone had a specific one
3. I feel like I should wait for the iPhone iOS5 to come out before I make any quick decisions..should I wait and see if I like the ios5?
4. Is the samsung g2 worth waiting for? I was highly considering the sg2 but every other review i read about it was pretty bad. And I prefer motoblur over touch wiz

I don't mind not being able to load 3rd party apps for now, that doesn't bother me at all. I also dont mind charging the phone every night. I love the size of the atrix and everything people have said about it (especially the battery!)

I would really like to hear from anyone who has used the atrix for a while. I would also love to hear about what you love/hate about it or whether or not you think it's future proof. I just want to know more about it before I pay $450. I am sorry if this was unnecessarily long but any help would be great. Thanks!!

Hey there, I didn't read the thread, so sorry if anyone already said these things, but here's my feelings:

It sounds like you had a lemon battery. Even if you made huge mistakes regarding power settings, it never should have been so terrible. When I put juice defender and my ROM of choice onto my captivate I could easily get over a day's worth of use from a single charge, and even just using stock, getting through the day wasn't an issue. Sorry you had a bad experience, hopefully it doesn't tarnish your opinion of Android too much. By the way, if that ever happens again, tell at&t and they'll ship you a new battery for free.

Should you wait for iPhone 5? iOS5 sounds kickass, and they fixed a ton of problems (bad notifications, widgets, etc), seemingly by stealing Android's systems, but whatever, everyone steals from each other anyway so I'm not all "apple copied, they are jerks!" Copying is nothing new... although suing everyone else in the business seems new, and I wish it would stop. /rant

And as always, Im sure iPhone 5 will have sexy hardware - although if the rumors of a super thin iPhone 5 are true, it's not really my thing; I'm a spec whore and would prefer a bigger battery and higher specs than a thinner phone. But again, just my opinion.

I think it's safe to assume that: the iPhone 5 will look nice, the improvements in iOS5 will help Apple catch up in some areas (in the same way Android is catching up with UI polish), and (less sure about this one) the next iphone will pack the A5 chipset used in iPad 2, but under-clocked for battery purposes. Unless maybe Samsung feels so bitter about the lawsuits that the deal falls apart... but my guess is that the contracts were drawn up and agreed upon a long time ago for parts suppliers.

So just like every new iPhone, the form factor, OS, and speed will see improvements. But it's still iPhone and it's still iOS, and Android is still Android. If you want to go Android I don't think you *need* to see the next iphone first. The real question you need to think abou is which "ecosystem" suits you better.

You probably have tons of iOS apps, and macs in your house, right? Leaving that behind is a reason to, um... to not leave them behind. I'm so eloquent! Haha.

Personally I love the Android ecosystem, I love how there are tons of choices with hardware, I LOOOVE the OS and UI (I'm really big into widgets; in light use, I spend more time on my homescreen than I do in apps). Do you love those things too, or do you love, uh, whatever it is Apple fans love about iOS?... :p kidding, iPhone has awesome polish and is a good smartphone, but I never liked it particularly much.

But should you get the Atrix? Nah. It's a nice enough phone and Motorola was finally smart enough to finally let people unlock boot loaders (can't wait to see what kinds of things people come up with regarding ROMs!) but if you can wait, like, 3-6 weeks, there will be a LOT of new, probably better, phones, like the GALAXY S2, the LG 3D phone is actually quite impressive in many ways, and some rebranding of the Sensation and EVO 3D will make their way to AT&T eventually. Personally I think all the phones I just listed beat the Atrix, so if I were you I'd hold off, but the Atrix is still a super great phone and I don't think you'd regret it, and it's plenty fast... just not the absolute fastest, which may or may not matter to you.

Hope that helped you. My vote is "wait for galaxy s2" (basically Captivate 2).

Reactions: satkins
Upvote 0
What reviews have you read? All of the SGS2 reviews that I've read were raving about SGS2 and its Exyno chips (which everyone agrees is superior to NIVIDA Tegra 2), SAMOLED+ and battery management (smaller battery but similar life to the Atrix's bigger one). I've actually recommend a friend to get the SGS2 because I do feel that it is a bit superior to the Atrix out of the box (1020p recording, 8MP camera, 16 OR 32GB memory, and gingerbread).

Also, do you intend to get the laptop dock or media dock for your Atrix?

My Atrix costed about $700 with tax...did I think it was worth it...yes. I love my Atrix as it was the best phone out at the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones