• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Thinking of getting a Nexus S 4G... a few questions.

BenChase7

Android Expert
Jun 16, 2010
Phoenix
Hi there,

My Dad is interested in getting some sort of wireless boradband connection for his laptop while on the go. So far we're considering Boost, Virgin... or my latest idea Sprint.
I currently have a family plan with Sprint, and since it would only be 30 bucks a month to add another line, it may be his best option. Whatta you think?

What I need to know:

Is the mobile hotspot/wireless tether feature still included on the Nexus S 4G for free?

Will this change in the future?

How as 3G data connectivity been for you while using your Nexus? (no 4G in Phx yet, so not too concerned about that.)

Any other thoughts, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

He really could care less about the phone and how great this thing is, We are simply trying to get a mobile broadband connection for him while he's on the go and at his vacation home, and I was thinking, at 30 bucks a month, this would probably be the best bet.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
BC

Hi there,

My Dad is interested in getting some sort of wireless boradband connection for his laptop while on the go. So far we're considering Boost, Virgin... or my latest idea Sprint.
I currently have a family plan with Sprint, and since it would only be 30 bucks a month to add another line, it may be his best option. Whatta you think?

What I need to know:

Is the mobile hotspot/wireless tether feature still included on the Nexus S 4G for free?

Will this change in the future?

How as 3G data connectivity been for you while using your Nexus? (no 4G in Phx yet, so not too concerned about that.)

Any other thoughts, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

He really could care less about the phone and how great this thing is, We are simply trying to get a mobile broadband connection for him while he's on the go and at his vacation home, and I was thinking, at 30 bucks a month, this would probably be the best bet.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
BC

Wireless tether still works and I don't see how sprint would be able to undo it. I had about a month when my wireless router was not working properly and I had to tether using the 3g network (I had a Hero then). I could stream netflix and download stuff without a hitch. It felt like dsl, but it got the job done. I could get by just fine if it was my main means of connecting to the interwebz. Hope that helps.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
I also don't see Sprint suddenly deciding to charge for the hotspot feature. It's not like they didn't know about it before choosing to carry the phone.

But if they did, you could root the phone, download a wireless tethering app and get around it. Where there's a community, there's a way!

With that said, don't expect killer broadband speeds while tethering from the NS4G. It's tolerable, but not a joy to use. If you're planning on using the device primarily to serve up an internet connection, you're better off investing in a Mifi card.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones