• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of selling my laptop and getting a Chromebook

Honestly I'm not warming up to it like I did with Android. 2 Days with Android and I was hooked. For some reason the Chromebook just doesn't "feel" right. That and problems with eBay not working correctly, not being able to use Skype or yahoo messenger to video chat ( I never even thought of that before I bought it and most of my friends and family use those two.) and I'm having serious doubts on whether I'm going to stick with it or not.
i do not use skype, but hangouts (google talk) works for me, plus you can use the video feature on your chromebook.

found this about yahoo messenger:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/moLIiGSR7bI

not sure about ebay, but there is a work around.....i found this:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/9VisPjkOLmk

go to the very bottom, last post(easier then weeding thru the posts like i just did;) ) for the answer.....you just need to switch to a different browser via the switcher and use firefox.

Upvote 0
i do not use skype, but hangouts (google talk) works for me, plus you can use the video feature on your chromebook.

found this about yahoo messenger:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/moLIiGSR7bI

not sure about ebay, but there is a work around.....i found this:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromebook-central/9VisPjkOLmk

go to the very bottom, last post(easier then weeding thru the posts like i just did;) ) for the answer.....you just need to switch to a different browser via the switcher and use firefox.

Thanks so much for all the info! I think at this point though the Chromebook just isn't for me. It just feels "unfinished" IMO but I'm sure some people love it. I would get an Android tablet, I love the Levono Yoga 10 and it's built in kickstand! The only problem I have is that while it is possible to get flash to work on android it seems a little hit or miss to me. I installed flash on my phone and it was just kind of glitchy compared to a windows PC. I mainly want flash because it lets me watch
video from free sources lol as well as a wide selection of adult entertainment but that's all I'll say about that.

What I do love about the Chromebook is it's size. Netbooks have always piqued my interest and I love the size and light weight. I'm actually surprized since I'm used to a 17" laptop. Right now I'm considering trading in my Chromebook for this Asus netbook.

Upvote 0
or you could do the cool thing and get linux installed on the chromebook....which if i get one will be what i will be doing.

all the stuff you mentioned earlier i never use......most of google's app suits my needs, so even as is, the chromebook would be great for me.

TBH i have a great samsung laptop, and i'm not even sure why i want a chromebook.....LOL

edit: asus is a great company and they make pretty solid devices.......

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
or you could do the cool thing and get linux installed on the chromebook....which if i get one will be what i will be doing.

all the stuff you mentioned earlier i never use......most of google's app suits my needs, so even as is, the chromebook would be great for me.

TBH i have a great samsung laptop, and i'm not even sure why i want a chromebook.....LOL

edit: asus is a great company and they make pretty solid devices.......

I've heard that Asus is the only PC manufacturer that actually manufacturers their own products (besides the CPU and a few other things). The only thing I notice about Asus laptops is that they don't have an easy access panel to get to your memory, hard drive and wifi card. I suppose it's not too hard to take off the whole bottom panel if the need ever arises though.

Upvote 0
Well I got mu Asus netbook this morning and I got home tonight and the first thing I noticed is the keyboard is warped! That's how my luck goes so now I have to make another 45 minute trip to Best Buy.

IMG_20140201_242116401_zpsbf75e297.jpg

IMG_20140201_242131754_zps1603f745.jpg

Upvote 0
Okay I finally made a decision that I'm happy with lol.

I ended up getting Google Nexus 16gb with a case with a built-in kickstand and a Chromecast. Due to the limited storage capacity of the Nexus and the extremely slow upload speed of Google Drive (I only had 768kbps max upload speed on a good day) I've came up with a workaround.

I have an old Windows XP tower that's been collecting dust so I installed Lubuntu Linux on it, hooked it up behind my HDTV with a VGA cable with my 500gb external hard drive attached. It is where I have all my music videos pictures etc. Whenever I want to transfer something over to my phone or tablet I just connect with a USB cable but I'm going to try airdroid tonight.

Upvote 0
its different and it does take some time getting used to, but for the price....you can't beat it.....IMO

Well it turns out you are right. I used the Nexus 7 for a few weeks and I quickly realized that I missed the laptop form factor. I bought a multi-position stand as well as a bluetooth keyboard and speakers. When watching shows or movies in bed, I used a lap desk but I had to be careful because it was really easy to tip the tablet over face down. I finally realized that I had spent a lot of extra money to convert my tablet into a netbook lol. This combined with glitchy flash playback convinced me to give the Chromebook one more chance. I exchanged it for the same Chromebook I had before and dedicated 2 weeks to using it (one day shy of Best Buy's return policy lol)

Now I couldn't be happier. After using it for several weeks, I prefer it over my dead windows laptop! The Haswell processor is blazing fast, it's almost completely silent, the speakers are much louder than the Nexus 7, and the keyboard and stand are built in. I also love the trackpad, in fact I put mu USB mouse away and use it exclusively now. All my photos and documents and music are on Google + photos/Google Drive. I also have it all backed up on an external hd which works perfectly with the Chromebook.

Upvote 0
Well it turns out you are right. I used the Nexus 7 for a few weeks and I quickly realized that I missed the laptop form factor. I bought a multi-position stand as well as a bluetooth keyboard and speakers. When watching shows or movies in bed, I used a lap desk but I had to be careful because it was really easy to tip the tablet over face down. I finally realized that I had spent a lot of extra money to convert my tablet into a netbook lol. This combined with glitchy flash playback convinced me to give the Chromebook one more chance. I exchanged it for the same Chromebook I had before and dedicated 2 weeks to using it (one day shy of Best Buy's return policy lol)

Now I couldn't be happier. After using it for several weeks, I prefer it over my dead windows laptop! The Haswell processor is blazing fast, it's almost completely silent, the speakers are much louder than the Nexus 7, and the keyboard and stand are built in. I also love the trackpad, in fact I put mu USB mouse away and use it exclusively now. All my photos and documents and music are on Google + photos/Google Drive. I also have it all backed up on an external hd which works perfectly with the Chromebook.

If you like android, but wanted something like a netbook, you could have considered the Asus Transformer line. The newer TF701 is quite a beast.

I'm actually considering looking into getting a Chromebook myself, but am anxious to try out the new Samsung Chromebook 2 once floor models become available to play with.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i have the tf700 and it did come close, but the keyboard still fetl cramped compared to my chromebook's keyboard.

i might wait for this xmas to get the chromebook 2.....i might get the 13" version, if i do.

here is the review, if you guys want to check it out:
Samsung Chromebook 2 - Laptops - CNET Reviews

Yeah, I have the 700 as well, and I felt that way about the keyboard at first. I eventually grew use to it, but am considering the chromebook over the 701 because of the price difference and the ability to put Linux on it. Does it perform well on current models or does it stutter a bit due to hardware?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm really considering the hp chromebook 14. 4gb of ram and gsm mobile data seems to put it over the edge for me. The color selection is horrid though.

The Chromebook Community on Google Plus recommends the white model.

The red is actually pink.

The blue isn't that good.

I got my dad the White one.

Reactions: jhawkkw and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Just a quick question from someone thinking about picking one up... What's the offline experience like. Are they usable when you don't have an internet connection. They look fantastic machines for travelling users. But what can I do on the journey without a WiFi connection?

well if you need to type up a document or work on a project it will save your work until you can get online and then it will sync with your google drive account.

other then that most of the other stuff you will need a wifi connection. not really sure what you plan on doing when your are not on wifi.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones