• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This Site Has Been Hacked

My Identity Protection service just notified me that my exact password and email address from this site has been published.
I've changed mine. So this is not a question, just information for you.
I use CompleteID (from Costco) and was notified yesterday that my email, username, and password were hacked from android forums, so everyone should change their password, and change that password if you use it on other sites.

Reactions: JD_Racer_Dad
Upvote 0
Checking in to say i too was notified (kroll - web watcher) last night that my email address and password from this website are available online. This doesn't seem like an old hack. Multiple people suddenly getting notified from different services at the same time is an indicator this isn't residual damage.
One thing I've noticed is that none of the people posting to this thread so far are members who have joined since that attack: the OP, who joined in October 2011, is the "newest" member to post here so far. So this could still be residual damage from that hack, with someone posting details several years after the event.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I currently believe it is details from the original hack.. but can't be sure yet. Give us some time, tech staff are being asked to come online and help look into this.

Also want to note with regards to that hack in 2012, please know we of course were under huge pressure to figure it out and decide the best course of action quickly. We all weighed in and what was ultimately done, was done. What we did or did not do was not and will not be agreeable to everyone.

The whole mess was not easy on anyone involved.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
My Identity Protection service just notified me that my exact password and email address from this site has been published.

Edit from staff: We are looking into whether this is new, residual, or a combination of both. Read below replies for more information. Please bear with us while we dig in.
Same here. Just changed my password.

Upvote 0
I just think a middle ground that some of the sites I frequent use is a reset when you attempt to log on periodically if you haven't changed yours on your own. Many sites of interest to users are not frequented regularly.

Exactly. So where does AF draw the line? A month of no activity? A year? Five years (like many of those posting here)? Admin could easily expire accounts after x months inactivity, but here's no way to (afaik) nullify accounts that simply view the site. We don't want to force members to post... some people merely want info without dialogue.

Checking in to say i too was notified (kroll - web watcher) last night that my email address and password from this website are available online. This doesn't seem like an old hack

Well it's not a new hack as I've been here almost daily since the original breach in 2012 and I've yet to see an alert. It is possible that these "ID protection" sites are sending out-dated warnings.

Upvote 0
So this caught my eye;
The password in my kroll dashboard is masked but when I copy and paste it into a character counter the result is 30 characters long. I'm 99% sure my previous (prior to me changing it today) password for this website was 30 characters long. I can't be 100% sure because I changed the password in lastpass this morning and lastpass doesn't have historical data as far as I can tell.
I use lastpass to generate random unique passwords. I have been using lastpass for 51 weeks. I'm just 1 week shy of using lastpass for 12 months and i know that because i need to renew my lastpass membership by the end of this week.

It could be a coincidence that the password in my kroll dashboard is 30 characters long or it also could be an indicator that the data is minimally less than 51 weeks old. In 2012, when the original data breach occurred my password would have been 8-ish characters, not 30. I cringe thinking about it but i can recall the password because I used it for everything. When I got lastpass I changed every password for every service available.

Anyway, my password is changed so good luck in the investigation! I'm moving onward!!

Upvote 0

Edit from staff: We are looking into whether this is new, residual, or a combination of both. Read below replies for more information. Please bear with us while we dig in.
I received two notices that is has been the one Kroll is the same that provides security checks for any govt official.

Upvote 0
Lifelock notified me this morning that it was published as a lbsg.net username/password. I called them a few minutes ago and they said it actually as Android Forums, but there's some sort of an affiliation between Android Forums and lbsg.net.

The password published was a hash, but Lifelock said it was a weak hash, easily decrypted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hashes don't decrypt.. only collide or become predictable. It's a one way function. In fact to qualify as a hash it must be non reversable as one of the requirements.

That said md5 has long been considered weak. Course vb did take it a step or two further and md5 with salt then md5 again so... while the output length implied straight weak ol md5.. it was a slightly improved upon version.

Lbsg.net? I've never heard of that. Unless Rob has kept me in the dark on a project! I'm curious about this.

So far we see nothing fishy and are very inclined to believe these services are only now becoming aware of or have finally imported the relevant data, so are sending the alerts. It's been out there a while now, and so far no newer users have received such a notice, as far as we yet know.

Still digging in..

Last edited:
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
All,

We have determined, unless additional useful info is found, that this is simply a case of either:

a) new round of monitoring agencies finding or sharing the known data and starting to notify,

or

b) a case of the same info being posted, but in a new spot.

..either case, it appears the alert being sent is referencing the same data the haveibeenpwned.com website has been sending alerts for for some time now - not a new breach. The hack this thread is referencing is the one from 2012, long published about here, and on Phandroid, as well as many other sites around the web.

There is no indication of a new breach, or any since the 2012 incident. We have checked databases that hold this info for emails in our database both before and after said breach - and accounts from before were, of course, found - but none from after.

Pending any new accounts coming forward saying they are getting the alert - or Rob discovering anything from the monitoring agency in side-talks - we are confident this is simply a new alarm for an old breach. Plain text passwords are not for sale - if they are they would have been rainbow'd, and that's effective mainly on simply or pattern'd passwords, like "password", "12345" and other dictionary terms and patterns.

Accounts newer than July 2012 were not, and as far as we know now, are not otherwise, affected.

All that said - we do still recommend you change your password here and on all sites that used shared passwords at the time if you've not yet done so - and we also recommend you enable two-step or dual/multi factor authentication anywhere you can. You can here on AF - on this page. You can do this with your gmail account (which is highly recommended), here.

If unfamiliar with what that is - basically you are authenticated not just by password (what you know), but something else as well, like (like "what you have" (code sent to your phone, for example)). It adds a new layer, so if someone knows your password, they still need your phone with them to successfully log in. This is especially important for email, because getting access to most people's main email account gives them access to so, so many other things.

(Hey, side note - put a password/pin/pattern lock on your phone. The importance of this is highly, highly underrated. Why? Because in the world of Android and iOS - if they are in your phone, they are in your email and everything else.)

Appreciate all the alerts on this, we all hopped online to dig in - these sorts of things are not to be taken lightly. As you can see, we haven't even managed to recover fully, four years after the fact! I get emails thanks to this every week, sometimes everyday. There are some sites/companies that downright crumble following a breach, it is not easy to deal with and definitely not something we want to see a repeat of - for us OR our members.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to send me a Conversation/PM - or shoot me an email @ phases at neverstill dot com - I'll be happy to help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones