• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Thunderbolt GPS not working

jk2446

Lurker
Apr 18, 2011
When I try to turn it on to use navigation or maps, it says "searching for GPS" and never locks-on. One time it did lock-on but after 30 minutes of searching. What is the deal? Others having the same issue? Took it to the Verizon store and all they said was HTC Thunderbolt software update coming.. but when?? Also, will it fix the problem?? Can't believe they would release a product with such major issues!

When I try to turn it on to use navigation or maps, it says "searching for GPS" and never locks-on. One time it did lock-on but after 30 minutes of searching. What is the deal? Others having the same issue? Took it to the Verizon store and all they said was HTC Thunderbolt software update coming.. but when?? Also, will it fix the problem?? Can't believe they would release a product with such major issues!
Umm, no! They would not. I assuming you are not rooted, cus my GPS could not lock in, when i was using one of the custom Roms. So, if you are stock, just call tech support, spend couple hours on the phone with them and do NOT go to the store! Those guys (for some reason) don't want to (or cannot) replace TBs. I never have a GPS problem but has had some other issues. Every time i went to the store (5 times), i got: "I'm not replacing it, update is coming out soon, all will be fixed". Read it here. I started to have feeling, even if I go to Verizon store today, and tell them; "Guys, i have a diarrhea today" - they'd reply; don't worry, an update is coming out soon!" :D
MAKE them to give you a new phone! Good luck! :cool:

Reactions: jk2446
Upvote 0
What do you do with GPS status?

The GPS Status app worked like a charm for me, too (knock on wood - 2 days in, now).

Once you're in the app, I pushed Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS State > Reset

Then I did Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS State > Download

Been working fine since. Locks on instantly.

Upvote 0
Adrynalyne fix it with a change to the base in his rom, so if you're root give it a go. Don't forget to change to the new radio.....:)

[ROM][4.19.2011] Das BAMF 1.5 - xda-developers

From his thread:

--Change of base to 1.13.605.7
--Due to change of base, GPS has been improved dramatically.
--Due to change of base, 3G/4G transitioning has been improved dramatically.
--Due to change of base, battery has been improved dramatically.
--Due to change of base, quiet videos are no more (allegedly).
--4.4.2 kernel.
--Transitions are back.
--A new version has been added to the lineup per request, the "debloated version". No frills, but tweaked and optimized. It has not yet been tested. Use at your own risk, and if you find problems, report them. I WILL fix them.
--Teeter has been added.
--Accurate battery images fixed by Holy Grail added.
--Further tweaked bootanimation, credit to gadget! and ds
--New Livewallpaper added.
--Modded email app, credit to Rsotbiemrptson (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1036167)

Upvote 0
grr you guys are making me jealous :)

Hi digdug,
i am same as you, at first i don't have any luck with GPS Status, the first few attempts were when i was at home. But the next day i tried outside (menu/tools/manage A-GPS state=>reset => download), the first time still no luck, but then i tried one more time resetting and downloading, and FINALLY, the GPS signal got locked! once it got locked, it never fails again.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I am almost convinced Verizon has gps issues. I don't think its the phone. I have had issues with a droid x, droid 2, fascinate, thunderbolt and now a charge and they have all had issues with gps. I switched to att and my atrix had no issues. It was instant every time. I have contacted customer support too many times and they claim to file trouble tickets but they never do. They say its a google or third party app problem and don't help at all.

Upvote 0
Mine is hit or miss, sometimes it takes minutes to lock and other times it takes seconds.
same with mine, but usually closer to a minute. My DroidX was almost instant so this is teh sux0r compared to that - 4G makes up for it most of the time though heh

I guess I will try this GPS Status app and see what change it makes if any.

Upvote 0
I absolutely hate the maps and gps on the TB!..half the time when I'm looking for an address, or even a well known store like best buy. It takes me to the middle of some neighborhood not even close to where I'm trying to get to...And yes, it also takes my phone at least 10 minutes to get a lock on my location........Grrrrrr..

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip on gps status! Worked like a charm!

GPS Status doesn't always fix the problem. I couldn't get GPS to work properly until I got an extended battery. I figured that the problem was related to the GPS antenna in the battery cover. The extended battery cover results in good GPS performance regardless of which battery is actually in the phone.

Reactions: jjkrzmar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones