• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Time for a Change

jtw1216

Android Expert
Mar 18, 2012
Garland, TX
ok this is what I have right now. Galaxy s3 on metropcs unlimited. Been wanting to switch to tmo's unlimited, because I know that they have a better & stronger signal.
I've heard that tmo is upgrading their 4g to LTE also. Anyone in the Dallas area have an s3 with tmo? If so, what's your signal like? Is your web speed fast & smooth? Oh, & I'm rooted also. So I would like to hear from those people also, cause they know where I'm coming from.

Yes, T-mobile is upgrading to 4G LTE. But it should also be noted that T-mobile's DC (Dual Carrier, not District of Columbia) HSPA+ is also already faster than Metro's LTE, which is an older LTE technology.

Sounds good. So when I bring my S3 with me, their sim card should work on it just fine then? Cause metro is a diffrent type of signal

Upvote 0
Sounds good. So when I bring my S3 with me, their sim card should work on it just fine then? Cause metro is a diffrent type of signal
For phone compatibility, you better call T-mobile and ask. Isn't Metro PCS a CDMA network? If it is, I doubt a CDMA Galaxy S3 will work on a GSM network (T-mo). You would need a T-mobile GS3 or an unlocked GSM version for it to work just by sticking a T-mo SIM card in.

Reactions: jtw1216
Upvote 0
Assuming your phone is GSM, not CDMA, how well your Metro S3 works on T-Mobile depends on the data frequencies it is capable of using and your location. It gets kinda confusing, but basically...

If you have a 1900 data band-capable phone *and* are in an area T-Mobile has 'refarmed' for the 1900 band, (most places by now) you are good to go on HSPA+ 4G. 1900 is the most commonly used band for data worldwide and found on AT&T phones and all unlocked international models.

If you are *not* in a 'refarmed' for 1900 area, you need a phone with both 1700 *and* 2100 band capabilities. One frequency is used for upload, one for download. This is the 'default' nationwide T-Mobile data bands and are found, with a few exceptions such as the Nexus 4, mostly only on T-Mobile phones.

Therefore, if your Metro S3 does not have the 1900 data band, it would be limited to Edge (2G) speed in non-refarmed for 1900 areas.

As for LTE, T-Mobile is building the best LTE network in the country. But until it is up and running in your area (it might be already) T-Mobile's HSPA+ will not disappoint you.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

Upvote 0
Your metropcs phone has a sim, but its only for the LTE network, I am not sure how they worked that.
the phone itself is a CDMA phone and you will not be able to use it with t mobile.

You will need to get a t mobile, or as mentioned unlocked gsm phone, though as crash has said get a phone that uses t mobiles 1700/2100 bands and is hspa +42 the speeds will be twice as fast as metro's LTE.
My Wife has metro with the esteem and I have the nexus 4 my data downloads are much faster then hers. Upload on the other hand the LTE is twice what mine is. When t mobiles LTE gets here though that will change.
Also depending on what your paying per month you may want to stick with metro and see if the merger gets you much better signal and speeds and keeps you at a low price point.
Again with my wifes service she has unlimited lte, no throttling and pays $40 per month. that is a grandfathered plan obviously.

Upvote 0
Your metropcs phone has a sim, but its only for the LTE network, I am not sure how they worked that.
the phone itself is a CDMA phone and you will not be able to use it with t mobile.

You will need to get a t mobile, or as mentioned unlocked gsm phone, though as crash has said get a phone that uses t mobiles 1700/2100 bands and is hspa +42 the speeds will be twice as fast as metro's LTE.
My Wife has metro with the esteem and I have the nexus 4 my data downloads are much faster then hers. Upload on the other hand the LTE is twice what mine is. When t mobiles LTE gets here though that will change.
Also depending on what your paying per month you may want to stick with metro and see if the merger gets you much better signal and speeds and keeps you at a low price point.
Again with my wifes service she has unlimited lte, no throttling and pays $40 per month. that is a grandfathered plan obviously.

yeah, the different frequencies is what concerned me. & yeah, I think I will wait to see what happens with the merger. I'm not gonna spend the money on a new phone when this one is only 4 months old lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones