Tips for rooting around a rooted dinc?

Last Updated:

1. desperado

desperado Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now that I am rooted I would like to hunt around the files on the device.

I have been using Root Explorer but being a unix guy I prefer some standard command line tools.

I want to use du, sort, find, grep, cut etc

When I try find using "terminal emulator" but there are many issues.
    1) if I type find I get no permission to run but then when I su root and try find it says command not found. Same for du. I have busybox installed so I expected du to work.
    2) terminal emulator has many issues is there a better option ? I can't enter pipe | with soft keboard, the display stops showing what is being typed sometimes, etc

Is it possible to mount the phone from the root directory on a pc or mac so I can browse that way?

Any other tools for "rooting" around ?

Advertisement
  2. desperado

desperado Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I installed busybox through titanium backup but it didn't seem to install correctly that way. So I installed form market and now I can run command from terminal emulator like
    busybox du
    busybox find . -name "searchname" -print
    etc

But I can't redirect to a file because > is not on the soft keyboard and I can't use pipe if it works with busybox

So I have commands working but I still need a better command line interface.

3. talereader

talereader Member

This thread may be outdated, but for anyone who bumps over it as I did:

I recently installed connectbot terminal emulator and it works like a charm.

- easy connection through ssh (root@localhost for local android);
    - if you use Touchpal, switch the input layout to the default android keyboard in the first screen of connectbot (long press on the input host field) so you can connect to a host; Touchpal isn't of much use here (as it sees the host field as url input, and doesn't provide you with an Enter key !);
    - "su" works with no problems (you need to have the "Superuser" app installed)
    - don't need to prepend "busybox" in front of any command
    - press "123" button, then "ALT" button and you get special characters like the pipe "|"
    - long pressing the android virtual keyboard "buttons" reveals some additional characters
    - read the documentation for simulating other keys (like Ctrl, Alt, Esc, etc)