• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tips for rooting around a rooted dinc?

desperado

Jul 31, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Now that I am rooted I would like to hunt around the files on the device.

I have been using Root Explorer but being a unix guy I prefer some standard command line tools.

I want to use du, sort, find, grep, cut etc

When I try find using "terminal emulator" but there are many issues.
1) if I type find I get no permission to run but then when I su root and try find it says command not found. Same for du. I have busybox installed so I expected du to work.
2) terminal emulator has many issues is there a better option ? I can't enter pipe | with soft keboard, the display stops showing what is being typed sometimes, etc

Is it possible to mount the phone from the root directory on a pc or mac so I can browse that way?

Any other tools for "rooting" around ?

I installed busybox through titanium backup but it didn't seem to install correctly that way. So I installed form market and now I can run command from terminal emulator like
busybox du
busybox find . -name "searchname" -print
etc

But I can't redirect to a file because > is not on the soft keyboard and I can't use pipe if it works with busybox

So I have commands working but I still need a better command line interface.

Upvote 0
This thread may be outdated, but for anyone who bumps over it as I did:

I recently installed connectbot terminal emulator and it works like a charm.

- easy connection through ssh (root@localhost for local android);
- if you use Touchpal, switch the input layout to the default android keyboard in the first screen of connectbot (long press on the input host field) so you can connect to a host; Touchpal isn't of much use here (as it sees the host field as url input, and doesn't provide you with an Enter key !);
- "su" works with no problems (you need to have the "Superuser" app installed)
- don't need to prepend "busybox" in front of any command
- press "123" button, then "ALT" button and you get special characters like the pipe "|"
- long pressing the android virtual keyboard "buttons" reveals some additional characters
- read the documentation for simulating other keys (like Ctrl, Alt, Esc, etc)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones