• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help tips? Help! I am going in circles

grammabonnie

Sep 22, 2012
I bought a Samsung Gal. Note sgh1717 while att wasy carrier. I had a small problem, so far back I can't even remember what it was. It wasn't the phone it was accounting. I was so frustrated I wound up paying them off just so I would never have to deal with them again. I went with T Mobile. Put sim card in and no problem. Then the phone wouldn't charge at all so under warranty I sent it to Samsung. When I got it back the phone was like new except it wouldn't respond to T Mobile . So I got unlocked again from att. I then could call out but I couldn't receive calls. I could receive text but couldn't send text. I had at unlock it again. T Mobile advise. Same thing. I got a new SIM card from T Mobile. Same thing. I called Samsung and they said it was the carrier. T Mobile has gone through their phone checking process and no change. Before I got att to unlock it again. I set it back to factory again so that doesn't help. SO ALL 3 companies say it's the other company. Can any of you help me? PS my user name describes me to a tea. I am 63 and know enough about technical stuff to be dangerous

I bought a Samsung Gal. Note sgh1717 while att wasy carrier. I had a small problem, so far back I can't even remember what it was. It wasn't the phone it was accounting. I was so frustrated I wound up paying them off just so I would never have to deal with them again. I went with T Mobile. Put sim card in and no problem. Then the phone wouldn't charge at all so under warranty I sent it to Samsung. When I got it back the phone was like new except it wouldn't respond to T Mobile . So I got unlocked again from att. I then could call out but I couldn't receive calls. I could receive text but couldn't send text. I had at unlock it again. T Mobile advise. Same thing. I got a new SIM card from T Mobile. Same thing. I called Samsung and they said it was the carrier. T Mobile has gone through their phone checking process and no change. Before I got att to unlock it again. I set it back to factory again so that doesn't help. SO ALL 3 companies say it's the other company. Can any of you help me? PS my user name describes me to a tea. I am 63 and know enough about technical stuff to be dangerous
If you switched carriers - why didn't you get a new phone from T-Mobile? You should still be able to get one right? The new note3 will be coming out for T Mobile so opt for one

Reactions: grammabonnie
Upvote 0
I didn't get a new phone from T-mobile because I had just given at&t $368.00 (appx) to get out of their bogus contract. I tried to return the phone at day 30 to a large att store and they told me the annex at the mall wasn't a"real" at&t. I had to take it back to where I got it, I told them it had at&t logos all over the building, they sold only at&t phones and equipment and plans so if it looked like a duck and walked like a duck well I was sure it was one. Then they said it kind of was but I needed to take it to them.I told them I was running out of days to return it and he said don't worry he would make note on my account that I came in b4 the 30 days. So I took it to the annex the next day and they said "to late to return" it didn't matter what corporate said, their computers wouldn't process it. I called att from their store and after talking to the supervisor, when I presented proof of what I claimed, she got huffy and hung up on me. That's when I became so frustrated I paid the early termination fee and put the phone on their counter and told them they can keep the phone too so I would never have to deal with them again. By the time I got home they had called my husband and totally confused and upset him and I had to straighten him out. At this point I felt like I earned the right to have this phone above and beyond paying for it. Sorry for such a long answer,I wasn't going to go into that but you ask why I didn't just get a new phone from T_mobile.

Upvote 0
To crashdamage and moody blues, I have thought for a long time that att are trouble makers of the worst kind. Thanks for confirming its not me going crazy (not that I am denying it lol) but at least I know it is not only me. You all are the most kind and helpful group of people I have ever e-met.:)

Upvote 0
Don't worry unlocking isn't illegal for the Galaxy Note. It came out before the law came out, making it exempt. :)
:thumbup:

It shouldn't be too hard because Samsung is easier to modify unlike HTC. :p

I myself am using an AT&T S3 on T-mobile. It unlocked pretty easily!

Got to be careful with that. It's not whether the phone came out before the law changed, it's whether HE bought the phone before the change. Even still, we can't allow discussion of how to get it done in case someone not exempt by the law tries to do it.

To the OP, did you attempt to port your at&t number?

Upvote 0
Reggie, I am sorry I got so wrapped up in the reason I was keeping the g-note I forgot to thank you for a possibly simple solution. Yes I may still be able to just get a T-mobile g-note 3 and all problems would be solved if they offer a somewhat reasonable deal.
Best of luck - Hard to separate emotion from the events - I've been there before with companies too. Some I won some I lost

Upvote 0
To crashdamage and moody blues, I have thought for a long time that att are trouble makers of the worst kind. Thanks for confirming its not me going crazy (not that I am denying it lol) but at least I know it is not only me.
You may notice from my info (on the left of my posts) that my carrier is AT&T...so I have a few thoughts about them based on personal experience. :eek: Seriously, I have *NO* coverage at my house. Before I moved back home (to California) I made sure I checked their coverage map, AND I even called and spoke to an actual human being--who confirmed that I would have "excellent" reception at my house. Right. :rolleyes: Zero bars is the norm for me.

You all are the most kind and helpful group of people I have ever e-met.:)
Thank you. :) That's really nice to hear.

Upvote 0
Ok I will call at&t tomorrow to port my old phone number (thanks moodyblues for the info:))
In the mean time I signed up for Text plus so I can send text now and receive calls for an additional $.02 per minute. I am not advertisng for them, I am sure there are numerous apps like that. It is curious though that I can get service with them (text plus) and not T-mobile that I am already paying. Hmmm. Maybe there is a clue in there somewhere.:thumbup:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones