• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Titanium Backup still backing up on non-rooted phone.

mahers

Android Expert
Apr 2, 2010
Concord, CA
I was rooted until the latest .621 update, and had TB installed with regularly scheduled backups. Now I am no longer rooted, yet, TB still runs the backup as scheduled. I can't turn it off because as soon as I open the app, it tells me SU permission was denied and I can't really do much at that point.

My question is, what exactly, if anything, is TB doing since it doesn't have SU Permissions? Is it still backing up my apps and data? Should I uninstall it, or is there no real harm in leaving it be? The new root method found seems too complicated, and I'm about to get a new phone anyway, so I don't want to bother (maybe AFTER I get the new phone, I can experiment;)). I want to root my new phone, plug in my SD card and restore all my stuff via TB, but I'm wondering if it's backing up anything worthwhile now.

Thanks for any replies!!

If you have lost root due to the .621 update then there really is no sense in having TB installed on the phone. Even if TB is still making backups on schedule, You wouldn't be able to use them because you cant get into TB because of no SU privlages.

I would just remove it and call it a day untill there is a solid easy root method found for the .621. No sense in having clutter on the phone right?

Upvote 0
cougar, nice avater ;)

True. But if it's still creating true backups, then when I get a new phone and root it, plug in my SD card, I would have the benefit of the most current and up-to-date app data on the new phone as opposed to the backups from the point of the .621 update. That's my main question. What is TB actually doing without the proper permissions (Besides, backups are scheduled for late at night when it's on a charger, so I never see the effect of it.)???

Upvote 0
Thom,

When the scheduled backup is done, I see the notification that it's complete. I only get the "you're not rooted" message when I open the app itself. I tried to look at the files on my SD card using Astro and ES Explorer but they both just hang and eventually FC on me. I don't know why. I may have to look at them through my PC when I get home to see what's in there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones