• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

To use WhatsApp, you and friend both need it to text each other.

DaLemsta

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
I don't have free texting on my plan anymore so I'm looking at forwarding my phone number to a messaging app to do the texting when in wi-fi mode.

In order to use WhatsApp, both me and my contact have to have the same app.

Is there a free SMS app that I can download without making my friend download the same app in order to communicate?

Thanks

To send SMS-type messages for free they have to be converted into a Internet-relayed data format, which is incompatible with the existing SMS network. So either the client on each end must be able to parse that specific data message format (this is the case with WhatsApp and similar apps) or there must be a relay server in between to perform the data<->SMS translation (as is the case with Google Voice).

I hope that helps to clear up some of the why for requiring the same app on both ends. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones