• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Toggling data usage for most and/or individual apps?

kwest12

Android Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2009
Hello, I'm traveling out of the country soon and it's going to be a major change for me because I'll be going from an unlimited data plan to a very restricted amount of data. I have a lot of background processes, push notifications, syncing, etc going, which normally consumes a lot amount of data.

When I'm out of country, I want to essentially stop all data and syncing save for whatever VoIP and messaging solutions I choose.

So for example, I want to limit Gmail, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Google app, and other the other stuff that's constantly using data, pushing notifications, etc, but still have messages/calls come through on Hangouts, Google Voice, Skype, Facebook messenger, or whatever I decide to use. Ideally I'd like to download Google or Waze maps on GPS (I believe they both cover Italy) and then turn off data and only use the GPS radio. Still, if I need to turn data back on for Google Maps, or to check my email, I don't necessarily want data and syncing turning back on for all other apps, and I don't want the app to continue using data when I'm done with it.

I also want to ability to remove the limits on all the apps as soon as I'm in WiFi. However, WiFi can be unreliable, so I don't want to enable data for everything and accidentally have the WiFi drop and the 3G/4G turn on. I assume this means turning off the radios, however, I don't want to lose the ability to text/call (emergencies only) so I'd want to leave that particular radio on.

Is there an app or Android feature that would let me play with data usage in this manner? I'm rooted running stock 6.0.1 on my Nexus 6P.

Thanks!

PS. Unless Tasker is a lot more fool proof and easy to learn/setup than it used to be, I just can't use that as my solution right now due to lack of time before I leave.

Go to settings>>Data Usage
You will get a graph of which apps consume how much data. Click on the app you want to stop that syncing for and check "Restrict Background Data". Do this for all apps that you want to stop syncing for.

On WiFi, Android doesn't have background data restrictions, so it should not be a problem for you. And if you don't want the data to accidentally turn on, then go to Settings>>Under network settings there is "more settings">>Mobile Network>>Data Connection>>Off

And yes, if your WiFi also has a limited plan, then try a firewall. They can restrict background and foreground data for apps on WiFi and Data Connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones